Note to New Members ×

Bad Breaks????

eaglez

Reading the thread on Curtis' season ending injury, and myself never having had break of any kind either skiing or boarding, I have a couple of questions for the BOL collective.

Obviously Curtis' injury was due to coming to an abrupt stop with enough force to break the bones. In the course of a normal carve (where you are not hitting something) where do you generally see serious bone damage type injuries occurring? Do different boot heights determine the severity of the injury?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

D. :biggthump

the way that I understand Curtis's accident is that he was cruising at a high rate of speed down a cat track. some speed wobbles occurred and this caused him to steer into soft snow on the side of the trail. His board did not float on the soft snow, but tried to submarine causing the board to come to an abrupt stop. snap, crackle, pop.

the day he broke was a very windy day and the soft snow was most likely a dense wind deposit. The extra dense snow caused his board to stop quicker than one would consider 'normal'.

I think that Curtis's boot fit as well as one could, he has been involved in snowboarding for many years. I think that this wreck was just part of the inherent dangers of the sport. If this were to have happened in a soft boot setup the outcome may have been different, not necessarily for the better or worse. Fortunately bone breaks have a great recovery rate. where as tendon and ligament damage takes a long time to recover from

In the course of a normal carve (where you are not hitting something) where do you generally see serious bone damage type injuries occurring?

In the course of a normal carve you never see bones break. It's when something goes wrong that it happens, and something can go wrong at any point.

Aside from a sore back, shoulder or leg strain, I've never had a serious injury without a sudden stop. The funny thing about my crash is the only injury I have is the broken leg. No bruises, bumps, scrapes or strained joints.

I think I'll stick to carving and leave the cat trails for beginners

I had a couple of small fractures in my right angle, after a day of Bordercross a few years back, just didn't know it had fractures until a week after the fact when I had it x-ray'd. Never felt a thing until I tried to get the boot off at the end of the day. It was too sore to remove, so I slept with it on so I could ride the next day. Needless to say I was using an inherited boot that was a bit to big...big lesson learned.

All other breaks, and the majority of close calls, in snow sports have been due to the neglegence of other riders / skiers :angryfire We should get our own flag or triangle or something to let people know we can and often use the whole run, when we want, as fast as we want, and we don't wish to be rear ended.

Al

the way that I understand Curtis's accident is that he was cruising at a high rate of speed down a cat track. some speed wobbles occurred and this caused him to steer into soft snow on the side of the trail. His board did not float on the soft snow, but tried to submarine causing the board to come to an abrupt stop. snap, crackle, pop.

the day he broke was a very windy day and the soft snow was most likely a dense wind deposit. The extra dense snow caused his board to stop quicker than one would consider 'normal'.

I think that Curtis's boot fit as well as one could, he has been involved in snowboarding for many years. I think that this wreck was just part of the inherent dangers of the sport. If this were to have happened in a soft boot setup the outcome may have been different, not necessarily for the better or worse. Fortunately bone breaks have a great recovery rate. where as tendon and ligament damage takes a long time to recover from

Depends on the bone-the tibia has the second worse supply of blood in the body, in terms of blood flow. It takes up to 12 weeks to heal and usually needs to be plated to heal. The talus has the worst blood supply of bones in the body. Talus fractures are almost exclusively seen in either auto wrecks as an open ankle fracture or in hyperextension injuries sustained snowboarding and occurs with equal frequencies in softboots and hardboots. Mine required two surgeries to repair and 24 months recovery. In contrast, both knee surgeries (ACL,MCL and meniscus) took about 1 year each and my rt shoulder labrum/ant. capsular repair is almost completely healed at 8 months (as of 2 days ago).

In any case, the circumstances of his injury suck...

We will probably be in Colorado with the rest of the Texans in March-sans kids.

My husband (tib-fib fracture in an auto wreck Nov. 2005) has had his final graft revision and is looking forward to getting new boot liners custom made at this shop recommended by his orthopod in Steamboat-just a short jaunt the other way down US 40. I'll buy the beer if anyone wants to put up with this h/b retiree

In the course of a normal carve (where you are not hitting something) where do you generally see serious bone damage type injuries occurring? Do different boot heights determine the severity of the injury?

The only injury I've had was the "auger in" of the nose of the board, causing me to blow the boot cants apart and trash my ankle. This on heli-terrain in crusty glacier when I was showing off doing big GS carves at mach 2.

I was riding last week with a bloke who had done similar damage in a similar collision with reality. Immediate cause: arrogance. Secondary cause: pilot error. Tertiary cause: boot failure under abnormal load.

I doubt the book height affects this, as something's going to break. The boot broke, then my ankle broke. If the boot had held then either I'd have cartwheeled out of it, or my knee would have broken. On balance I'll settle for the ankle... and now I still ride crusty glaciers at speed, but I always favour the back foot in those specific conditions, so I make damned sure I don't go over the falls.