Note to New Members ×

07 Burton Fish

Guest ast4

So, I've looked through a few threads and it seems like this board is getting mixed reviews when it comes to riding it on groomed snow. Although from the sounds of things Burton has made the taper less aggressive over the years. So, can anyone clear this up for me? Would it be useable on groomed snow maybe 30-40% of the time with the rest purely in the glades or would I be better off with the Malalo?

ast4, I ride both the 05/06 and the 06/07 (at least when Rebecca will let me) 156 Fish. The 06/07 seems to have more torsional stiffness than the previous year's model. This helps it carve better than the 05/06. We use them primarily as our rock powder boards, but they are great boards, especially in the trees.

Even with it's beat up rails, our 06/07 Fish will definitely carve on softer groomers, providing you pay attention to the lack of torsional stiffness, but it turns really tight. I would certainly suggest a more all around balanced board if you are carving on groomers 30-40% of the time. You can always pick up a Fish over the summer as a dedicated powder board for next season. They get really cheap if you look hard enough.

This is not meant as a jab at the Fish but...........I don't get it. I understand that it might ride more level with less nose dive in the soft stuff but I can't see how it would really float considering how short they are. I've only ridden one once and it sank like a stone compared to a Tanker.

What's the attraction?

Dave

Just got back from Utah after a week at Snowboard. My son and I both riding Burton Fishes (156's) out there. The board is a tree pow champion for sure. No stress on the rear leg. Only downside with that board is that you can't ride it switch in pow. Not even for 1 foot at 1 mph ! Say, as you need to back out of a tight spot you got yourself into in the trees. It will dive instantly and just crash you out. Its really poor like that. Again, pow only.

As for hardpack it carves brilliantly (on packed powder groomers). Even if there is no dust on the top its cool. Even back east. Even switch. But there is a point when it will not tolerate anymore slope hardness and it becomes a real handful. Basically, the slope has to suck anyway at that point (well, suck for anything short of plates on carve deck).

One day we bailed out of snowbird and rode Brighton. On those packed powder groomers its the king of the carve for sure! Nobody else on the mountain comes close. And all on a pow board. Fish rules.

Sic

DK:

Think of it as a much longer board (170-180) with the tail chopped off. The nose on it is huge which allows it to float very easily. I've only had one occasion to ride my Fish 160 in powder and it was very easy to ride. No leg burn like on my All mountain.

HK

That's a good way to look at it. It still seems like unless the laws of physics are suspended around the Fish then it can't float like a longer board would. I can see the tail chopped of idea but even if it was chopped off a 170 - 180 board it seems like those are on the short side for a deep day.......let alone a chopped off 170.

When the snow here is deep and soft I ride a Tanker 200 with the bindings set back a bit and it works very well. My friend with a Fish can only float so well or go so fast. The Tanker makes it seem like he's dropped anchor. The Tanker does not leave me with leg burn at all and it's very versatile being as at home on the groomer as it is on the steep and deep stuff.

I guess I'd have to spend more time on the Fish to 'get it'.

Dave

It makes a great Noboard, but I wouldn't put bindings on one.

The fact that it doesn't plane very well makes it an excellent and very relaxing mid to low speed ride, but if you like to get on top and haul ass, it will leave you wanting.

That makes sense to me. When I first started riding in 1978 the only boards out there were the Burton Backhill/Backyard and the original Winterstick. I owned a few of each during those early years and I'm struck by how much fun they were to ride and by how similar they are to the current Fish.

I sure wouldn't want to ride that old Burton or Winterstick on a hard groomer!

Thanks,

Dave

David, I don't think the Fish should be compared to a 200 Tanker. They are both great in powder, but in completely different situations and styles of riding. I have a 200 Tanker and I doubt any board can float and ride low angle and open powder like it can.

The Fish definitely keeps the nose up better than most other boards of any length in powder though it certainly rides lower than a big board. It is really nice to ride such a short board without riding overly heavy on the back leg. It will react with a little twitch of the back foot for immediate direction changes in tight trees, unlike the Tanker.

I weigh 145 and ride the 156 Fish. I would guess if you are roughly 180+ even the 160 Fish may not work correctly. Time for a 170 Khyber.

Different boards, both great, neither one is for everyone.

Buell

David, I don't think the Fish should be compared to a 200 Tanker. They are both great in powder, but in completely different situations and styles of riding. I have a 200 Tanker and I doubt any board can float and ride low angle and open powder like it can.

The Fish definitely keeps the nose up better than most other boards of any length in powder though it certainly rides lower than a big board. It is really nice to ride such a short board without riding overly heavy on the back leg. It will react with a little twitch of the back foot for immediate direction changes in tight trees, unlike the Tanker.

I weigh 145 and ride the 156 Fish. I would guess if you are roughly 180+ even the 160 Fish may not work correctly. Time for a 170 Khyber.

Different boards, both great, neither one is for everyone.

Buell

That makes sense to me.

FWIW I'm 6'4" and weigh about 185 so that no doubt influences my tastes. The Tankers (I ride a 187W for everyday riding and a 200 for deep days) are perfect for me and the place I ride.

Enjoy...........Winter strom watch for here for tonight. We've gotten about 4' in the past 10 days and expect a good bit more tonight. Looks like the Tanker will get another workout.

later,

Dave

We are getting a lot of snow right now in the northern Wasatch too. It came in so light last night though, that even with 9" of fresh, I was still riding on the hard, cut up bottom this morning. Bumpy ride, hard on the knees! It looks like tomorrow could be just incredible though!

Enjoy!