Note to New Members ×

Thoughts on Physics step-ins

carvedog

I bought a pair of Burton boots in my size that are set up for Physics binders. These appear to have the posts that stick up into the heel and a handle to release them. I know they can be converted to regular bindings ( I run mostly Race plates) by moving and or changing the heels.

I am a big guy but apparently pretty gentle on binders as I occasionally break a bail but not often. I also ride the rental plates on my more freestyle boards and don't have trouble with them either. I like a little flex in my binders.

Any advice on these or thoughts in general. Prerelease stories? Sticky in new snow? Releases work good? Heels can be moved? Or need to be changed for regular binders?

Thanks for looking.

I know they can be converted to regular bindings ( I run mostly Race plates) by moving and or changing the heels.

Correct. Later-edition Burton boots have toe and heel blocks than can be mounted in a "retracted" position if your binding system does not require a heel bail (or in the case of the Physics' Speed hook option, a toe bail)

I am a big guy but apparently pretty gentle on binders as I occasionally break a bail but not often. I also ride the rental plates on my more freestyle boards and don't have trouble with them either. I like a little flex in my binders.

I weigh in at about 230 by the time I step into my bindings. Stiffness has never been an issue with these bindings. I use the Speed Hook option, and was told by the rep when I was demo-ing prototypes that team riders didn't care for the stiffness compared to race plates. The flex inherent in the bails of race plates (which are my standard for comparison) is either partially or totally eliminated by the non-bail interfaces at the heel and toe. If you like a little flex in the binders, stick with the toe bail versus the Speed Hook.

Prerelease stories? Sticky in new snow? Releases work good? Heels can be moved? Or need to be changed for regular binders?

My one prerelease occured on my rear foot, at the toe, using speed hooks. It was spring, and I didn't do a good enough job of clearing ice from between the toe block of the boot sole and the toe piece of the binding. Enough packed in there to lever the toe out during a heelside turn, but not enough to prevent me from stepping in at the top of the char. Solution: a better scraping and visual inspection before entry, rather than just stomping and going.

Release cables: because of the nature of the system, the more foward/upward pressure you place on the rings, the tighter they grip the posts (hence the name of the system). So the easiest way to release the cables is to rock back and weight the heel before pulling up on the handle. Never had any problems with this technique.

Heels: see above; if you have big feet and low angles and ride Physics exclusively, you can retract the ledges for minimal overhang. If you want to switch between Physics and bail bindings, leave the ledges out.

Hope this helps.

Eddie

I rode the Physics for about a season and a half. I'm about 270lbs geared up and they held up pretty well. I was using the toe bails instead of the speed hooks since I had Raichle boots. Never any prerelease problems. The posts kind of self clean when you step in too. I ended up switching to TD2's when I broke the wing on the heel piece and had a hard time finding replacement parts. Mine were used and one boot heel was wearing out around the mounting screws too. If not for lack of parts and want of cool stuff I'd probably still be riding them. I do have some parts left over if you need them.

AVOID the clear blue ones, they had a bad run of plastic and they would literally explode burton was taking them back no questions asked for a long time even if out of warranty if those are the ones you have I'd call burton and see if they will give you credit on a new binding or want a law suit from you.

the later models with different plastic worked every bit as well as any intec binding I've ever used maybe better

(At the time of these failures, I weighed about 175 lbs. fully geared up) I used a set of burton race physics with speed hooks on a burner 188. I broke two plastic binding baseplates on my rear foot at pretty high rates of speed both times. I am lucky that I didn't injure my knee on either occasion. I broke a blue one and a black one. I think the design is a fantastic one, but the materials that they used just couldn't stand up. I have used (and continue to use) the ordinary old burton race plates for many, many, many days and have never had a problem.

As you can probably guess, I wouldn't recommend using this binding because they are so rigid side to side that you can break the baseplate without much effort.

later,

Dave R.

AVOID the clear blue ones, they had a bad run of plastic and they would literally explode burton was taking them back no questions asked for a long time even if out of warranty if those are the ones you have I'd call burton and see if they will give you credit on a new binding or want a law suit from you.

the later models with different plastic worked every bit as well as any intec binding I've ever used maybe better

Hey Bob, I just wanted to let you know that I contacted burton after I got your email and they had their parts people and legal dept do research (according to them of course) and sent me and email stating that they could not find any info regarding what you've said.

I went through a few pairs of them and they were taking them back, just about everyone that had the clear blue ones blew them up.

I sent a few pair back (ice blue) and got a pair back after the warranty was out on them. the last pair was (3rd or 4th) unbroken, I did go through the guy that ran Sunny Breeze and he did know people but there was not a peep out of burton, they just took them back and sent out bindings with different plastic.

I went through a few pairs of them and they were taking them back, just about everyone that had the clear blue ones blew them up.

I sent a few pair back (ice blue) and got a pair back after the warranty was out on them. the last pair was (3rd or 4th) unbroken, I did go through the guy that ran Sunny Breeze and he did know people but there was not a peep out of burton, they just took them back and sent out bindings with different plastic.

Would you happen to have any way to verify this?

Sure, do you know how to get ahold of Bill Casey? He used to run Sunny breeze.

Burton does not give receipts with returned gear.......

you could ride them and see for yourself.

A few other people here had issues, I'll see if I can dig up some other posts on the issue. it was mostly the ice blue ones, they were literally brittle.