Note to New Members ×

soft boots for carving

foxtrot

firts thing firts, i'm a new on the board, so i would like to say hi to every one. I've been reading alot on the forum and you guys sound like a good bunch of people.

Back to topic now, i've been riding for 3 years now, this is my 4 season. I discovered carving at the end of last season, but this season i'm craving the carving like crazy. Since i dont have the budget to change my hole set-up, the best thing to change would be my boots. Here's my set-up for now: board is K2 Recon Riser 157, the bindings are Ride LX and for the boots, well....... some very cheap Morrow boots. I've been having an eye on some salomon dialogue boots, they felt pretty stiff and they seamed to fit my feet like a glove, but do they have the lateral stiffeness so that i can have a very big foward stance angle to be able to lean hard on heelside(toeside isn't a problem).

thank

francois

Welcome to BOL. I would be looking for any good freeride boot. Most of these are stiffer for riding big mountain off piste stuff. I think the Burton Rulers are pretty stiff. I'm sure there are plenty of others like these, but these are the only softboots that I have had experience with and they are pretty stiff. I think it would be posible to carve with these if you have good stiff bindings.

firts thing firts, i'm a new on the board, so i would like to say hi to every one. I've been reading alot on the forum and you guys sound like a good bunch of people.

Back to topic now, i've been riding for 3 years now, this is my 4 season. I discovered carving at the end of last season, but this season i'm craving the carving like crazy. Since i dont have the budget to change my hole set-up, the best thing to change would be my boots. Here's my set-up for now: board is K2 Recon Riser 157, the bindings are Ride LX and for the boots, well....... some very cheap Morrow boots. I've been having an eye on some salomon dialogue boots, they felt pretty stiff and they seamed to fit my feet like a glove, but do they have the lateral stiffeness so that i can have a very big foward stance angle to be able to lean hard on heelside(toeside isn't a problem).

thank

francois

I rode a pair of 2001 Dialogues and 2002 Dialogues at angles up to 36 degree without problem. I don't think you can really go past 45 degrees in the front for any softboot. If you are worried about stiffness the Salomon Malamute should have the same fit, but be even stiffer (I have a pair of 2005-06 and they are nice).

Another boot to look at is the Nitro Darkseids - I think if the Salomon fit you these will fit you as well (especially if you have skinny ankles). Stiff, better heel pocket and ankle hold - better lacing system in my opinion.

Guest GQuentin

I have a pair of Burton Ion's from last year. I have wore them twice and want to sell them. They are top of the line for the Burton boot line up and are a nice stiff boot. They were a gift and are to small for me. They are 10.5. Let me know if they fit you and if you are interested,

Quentin

welcome to the board!

the Salomon Malamutes are great boots and plently stiff. I run 32 Forecast and they are fairly stiff for my weight - about 160-165. Not sure how much you weight but you said you were on a budget so the 32's might be a good option for 150 bucks:

http://search.the-house.com/?keywords=forecast&Submit=Go

... Here's my set-up for now: board is K2 Recon Riser 157, the bindings are Ride LX and for the boots, well....... some very cheap Morrow boots. I've been having an eye on some salomon dialogue boots, they felt pretty stiff and they seamed to fit my feet like a glove, but do they have the lateral stiffeness so that i can have a very big foward stance angle to be able to lean hard on heelside(toeside isn't a problem).

thank

francois

I have some Dialogues that did fine for about 3yrs. I too came from some old school Morrows (circa 1994) that were the absolute worst boots I have ever used but I used them till '03. I think Sorrel's were stiffer:cool: .

My dialogues ('04 bought in '05) fit super comfy and I only managed to run up to 35F-27R in them before not being able to get things right. I usually rode with a PLS at 27F 18R and could carve decently but I alwas ran into boot out. My 12.5's on 25.2 waist boards (Osin 4807 and A-Frame 170) just never fit right.

If you want a real forward stance, the Dialogues may or may not do you right. I'm 215lbs in riding gear so take that into account also.

J

I have a pair of Burton Ion's from last year. I have wore them twice and want to sell them. They are top of the line for the Burton boot line up and are a nice stiff boot. They were a gift and are to small for me. They are 10.5. Let me know if they fit you and if you are interested,

Quentin

M8, you have no idea what small is. I wear size 7:o, for the rest, i weight at 186lbs and 5 feet 10. I have a offset of +2 and stance width is 20"1/2, i really have to work hard to get my knees together. Still working on my stance set-up to get the front edge to gripe hard, i,m able to carve but not lean like crazy. My goal is to be able to extreme carve with a softboot set-up:freak3: (i guy can dream right)

If you weigh a buck 80, I'd say go get yourself a board with more effective edge. A 157 freestyle/freeride board probably won't cut it. It doesn't matter how hard your drive your edges with stiff boots if you don't have much edge to work with in the first place. The beginning of the turn is probably not so much of a problem but when you drive your rear foot to lock in your carve, I bet you're sliding out.

I weigh about the same and of my freestyle boards, I'd say a 161 is minimal to get any sort of "carve" out of them. I actually have the 161 version of the recon riser and although it does carve somewhat, I still think the effective edge is too short to track well enough for any real carving.

As for sliding off of your high backs on your backside turns, you'll have this problem no matter how stiff your "soft boots" are. Soft boots are still "soft boots" no matter how stiff they are. If you rotate your bindings enough so that a decent portion of the highbacks are no longer facing the backside edge, you won't have the support you'll need. I'd say keep your bindings and boots and look into some "Home Depot" style "board improvement". Go find yourself some 3rd straps ala pre 90's soft 3 strap bindings. Drill a few holes in your highbacks and you'll be good to go at any stance angle.

The beginning of the turn is probably not so much of a problem but when you drive your rear foot to lock in your carve, I bet you're sliding out.

actually no, it digs in pretty hard.

Hey Foxtrot, check out the new Donek Razor board. Softboot specific for carving. I think it is actually designed to be able to Extreme Carve with softboots:D.

I've seen those and they look mighty awsome, but still, a can bearly afford new boots, so.

Welcome to BOL. I would be looking for any good freeride boot. Most of these are stiffer for riding big mountain off piste stuff. I think the Burton Rulers are pretty stiff. I'm sure there are plenty of others like these, but these are the only softboots that I have had experience with and they are pretty stiff. I think it would be posible to carve with these if you have good stiff bindings.

I've got Rulers and enjoy them. I have to tie them up as tight as possible at the top to get good stiffness, otherwise they leave just a little too much space between the tongue and my shin, which can hamper the transition to toeside. Usually run about 40/30 angles on them. w/out any problems.

I've got Rulers and enjoy them. I have to tie them up as tight as possible at the top to get good stiffness, otherwise they leave just a little too much space between the tongue and my shin, which can hamper the transition to toeside. Usually run about 40/30 angles on them. w/out any problems.

I'm actually riding with 40/18 angle, i'll try 40/30, that might fix my knees problem and able me to turn my shoulders more facing were i want to go, so being able to lean more. sound good. by the way, i had to change the windshield on my car, costing 879$ with a franchise of 500$, it's gonna cost me 500$, so, it might by ....... bye-bye boots:angryfire.

If i was riding in your area, I wouldn't mind switching boards with you for the day so you'd get a feel for "all things being 'pretty much' the same, what happens when you add just a few inches of effective edge". It's a big difference.

I'd think if you had to choose one thing over another(boots or board), I'd still change the board first. The boots in my opinion help you control you board. It's a pain in the ass but you can just force the issue and work harder to stay on top of it with weaker boots. The board in the other hand, you either have the meat under your feet or you don't.

Put it this way, if you wanted to find as little effective edge on a freecarve board as you have on your recon, you'd probably have to ride something like a 147. If overall "longer" board sounds intimidating, just go get yourself a 157 that's a bit more carve oriented and thus has more edge/bite to it. Just a thought . . .

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/board_equipment.cfm