Note to New Members ×

Best bootfitter in NYC?

John Bell

Ladies and gents: Your help, please. I need to get a pair of Thermoflex liners (purchased from a swell chap here on BOL) fitted to my feet.

Here in the City that Never Sweeps, I'm aware of two choices:

www.surefoot.com

and

www.bootfitters.com

Anyone have any experience with either? Or are there others who are good and in Manhattan?

Thanks!

I had some custom footbeds made by surefoot, and they definitely helped, but that is the only experience I had with them. My toes are pretty tight in my boots and I asked them if I should have them ground or punched out in the toe area and they recommended that I take a few trips in them first before making any permanent changes in the shells, which I think bodes well for them as they could very well have just ground the shells and taken my money rather than asking me to wait and see if it really makes sense.

I have not heard of www.bootfitters.com but after this weekend I have determined that I definitely need to do something about my toes so I need to speak to a bootfitter too ... I'd defintely be happy to hear anything about NYC bootfitters too!

I just got off the phone with both of them. The people listed on the www.bootfitters.com website did not leave me with the impression that this was a primary area of expertise ... they're an orthotics shop and don't seem to specialize in ski/snowboard boot fitting. when I called them up they were like ... "you want bootfitting? What is that? ... Oh it has to do with skiing? Give me your number and I'll have someone call you back". I'm going to stick with surefoot.

I've heard good things about surefoot. But if you're going to VT stop into startingate - great bootfitters don't live in NYC - They live in the mountains.

The 'Gate is nice since you can actually try on a few different boots, but if your plans take you up north and you've already got boots, I recommend Inner Bootworks on the way to Stowe (take heed, ECESers). In addition to being a top-notch bootfitter, the owner fabricates custom footbeds, and when I cast patients for orthotics, he's the guy I send the molds to. I think he does casting/molding himself, as well.

The 'Gate is nice since you can actually try on a few different boots, but if your plans take you up north and you've already got boots, I recommend Inner Bootworks on the way to Stowe (take heed, ECESers). In addition to being a top-notch bootfitter, the owner fabricates custom footbeds, and when I cast patients for orthotics, he's the guy I send the molds to. I think he does casting/molding himself, as well.

I don't know about John Bell, but most ny'ers don't have cars (it makes very little sense to own one here, and there are usual four+ affordable bus-trips to VT and NY resorts available every weekend via local ski-shops) ... so getting to the startinggate can be pretty hard even if we can get to resorts in VT.

Unless the startinggate is right at stratton, of course ... that would make things a little different.

JB - I'm going to have some toe-room punched out in my boots tomorrow, at surefoot. I'll post my feelings on that here afterwards.

Thanks for the advice, y'all. Actually, I do have a car here, but if I drive all the way to Vermont, I would most likely just go all the way to Killington. I'm kind of partial to it, as I spent a winter there, and it's huge by Eastern standards.

QQ:Thanks for your forthcoming feedback on Surefoot. Good luck with the big-toe thing. If they pull out a cleaver, run for your life!

Queequeeg, how'd it go with Surefeet?

Sorry John - I never managed to get over there ... and at this rate I probably won't make it out there until after the 2nd, as I'm going snowboarding tomorrow, and leaving for italy the day after. I promise I will post my results here though - as soon as I get over there.

I don't know about John Bell, but most ny'ers don't have cars (it makes very little sense to own one here, and there are usual four+ affordable bus-trips to VT and NY resorts available every weekend via local ski-shops) ... so getting to the startinggate can be pretty hard even if we can get to resorts in VT.

Unless the startinggate is right at stratton, of course ... that would make things a little different.

I grew up in the city, Q - I know all about the hassle of trying to keep a car in Manhattan.

The Startinggate, while not in Stratton's base village, is pretty close - less than 10 mins by car, I would say, but you still need a car to get there, unless there's some shuttle that runs down there that I'm not aware of.

The nice thing about Surefoot is that they stand behind their mods for the life of the boots and at any location, so if you get them punched out in the city, and end up at Killington and it's not quite right, the Surefoot on the access road will make things right without charging you more.

Ooh - Italia. Va Bene! Have a great trip.

I grew up in the city, Q - I know all about the hassle of trying to keep a car in Manhattan.

The Startinggate, while not in Stratton's base village, is pretty close - less than 10 mins by car, I would say, but you still need a car to get there, unless there's some shuttle that runs down there that I'm not aware of.

The nice thing about Surefoot is that they stand behind their mods for the life of the boots and at any location, so if you get them punched out in the city, and end up at Killington and it's not quite right, the Surefoot on the access road will make things right without charging you more.

Ooh - Italia. Va Bene! Have a great trip.

Hrrm ... maybe I'll give the startinggate a shot on my next stratton trip ... worst case scenario, I could get a taxi??

Bondville is close enough to the resort that you could probably hitch there if you're so inclined. You might even call the shop and see if someone can pick you up if it's not too busy (a six of a local brew - (McSorley's, Brooklyn if you want to schlepp it up) - to be consumed while not driving might grease the skids some).

And check the Ride Board here before you head up, or chat up another hardbooter you see on the hill. More often than not, they're a BOLer and may be willing to hook a brother up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey John - just went to Surefoot again, this time, bought a hotronic boot heating system and had them install it in the custom footbeds I had them make before - they just milled me a new pair of footbeds for the heating elements.

While I was waiting for the footbeds to be finished I was talking to the guy there about having thermoflexes molded and also about punching out the toes in my stratos. They have the thermoflex oven and they say they do this all the time. My discussion with them left me feeling pretty confident that they will do a good job, they asked lots of questions about the boots etc ... Once my liners arrive in the mail, I will bring them there and have them mould and punch them out. Again - I will post my results here.

Hey guys,

Im actually in the same position. I just got my first pair of hardboots and Im looking to get them molded before I take a trip up to VT for a week. I'll be going to Smuggler's Notch, so its no where near the Starting Gate. Plus Im going on a bus trip so I wont be able to get over there unless everyone on the bus wants to go, lol.

I WAS going to go to paragon, but that was mostly because I didnt know of any other options. I wasnt really sure of how good a job they would do. I havent called Surefoot, but do you guys know how much they would charge to mold the liners of my Track 325T's?

I didnt know there were other trench diggers here in NYC, much less manhattan! I do use the term "OTHER trench diggers" lightly though as Im not sure if Ive fully established my carving skills just yet.

So, how many of you guys live in NYC and where? Im on the upper west side of manhattan and I usually take the blades bus trips from their 72nd street store. I'd definitely love to meet another carve junkie once I get back from VT, so let me know if you guys would be interested in taking a bus trip together :)

Hey guys,

Im actually in the same position. I just got my first pair of hardboots and Im looking to get them molded before I take a trip up to VT for a week. I'll be going to Smuggler's Notch, so its no where near the Starting Gate. Plus Im going on a bus trip so I wont be able to get over there unless everyone on the bus wants to go, lol.

I WAS going to go to paragon, but that was mostly because I didnt know of any other options. I wasnt really sure of how good a job they would do. I havent called Surefoot, but do you guys know how much they would charge to mold the liners of my Track 325T's?

I didnt know there were other trench diggers here in NYC, much less manhattan! I do use the term "OTHER trench diggers" lightly though as Im not sure if Ive fully established my carving skills just yet.

So, how many of you guys live in NYC and where? Im on the upper west side of manhattan and I usually take the blades bus trips from their 72nd street store. I'd definitely love to meet another carve junkie once I get back from VT, so let me know if you guys would be interested in taking a bus trip together :)

Hi There,

I live in Astoria (NW Queens, just over the Triborough bridge). I usually take busses too - I take the Emilios ski shop bus, which offers four trips a weekend, usually one to hunter, one to Windham, one to Okemo and one to Stratton, or something like that. I was actually supposed to be at Okemo today but it was raining in VT this morning after dropping 3" overnight and then was supposed to get colder ... sounds like the making of some horrifically bad conditions so I skipped out. I usually pick up the Emilios bus at New York Pipe Dreams, at 86th and York, but they also have pick ups in queens and brooklyn. I'm taking the bus to Mt.Snow tomorrow. I didn't know about the blades bus trips - more options is always better - do they have a website?

I'm not sure how much the are going to charge you to get those Deeluxe's moulded, but I'm planning on posting my results here after I get my thermos done there. I got a pair of footbeds made by them (~$200) and then I bought the hottronic system for them (~$220). They did not charge me to install the hottronic heat elements in the footbeds, just the footbeds. So far, they've been excellent. I'm getting my shells punched out in the toes and my liners moulded next ... again, will post results.

If all you need is to mold the liners, it's easy enough to do yourself. You'll need access to a convection oven, an accurate oven thermometer and a timer. If you have that, do a search on here and see if you want to give it a try. Basically it's 225 degrees for 8 minutes. The way I do it is to preheat the oven, checking the thermometer and adjusting the temp until it's a steady 225. While this is going on I put my foot on the foot bed, slip the end of an old neoprene wet suit booty over my toes and the foot bed, then slip a tight thin sock over them and my foot. I then slip my foot into the unheated liner and practice taking a few quick wraps around the liner with an elastic Ace bandage (the kind used for a sprained ankle). I take a couple of wraps around the top and then around the instep then bring the remainder up the back and just hang onto it while slipping my foot into the boot (if you have someone to help, have them hold the boot open for you). This will hold the overlap of the liner in place and let the liner slip in easily without getting caught in the shell of the boot. This will make more sense when you see the heated liner. Also, you'll want to have the boot lean set to approximately where you plan on riding it. When the temp is right, put one liner in (make sure it's for the foot you have prepped) and set the timer. When the eight minutes is up pull out the liner, it won't feel too hot to the touch and won't look any thing like it did, slip your prepped foot into it, making sure the seam on the bottom is centered, then take the wraps with the bandage. Slip it into the boot, drop the end of the bandage and close the boot up making sure all the boot flaps are where they're supposed to be. Cinch it up snug but don't over tighten then, walk around in it while it cools. It will be hot and uncomfortable but will feel better when the toe padding is removed so, don't worry about how it feels while it's cooling. Now do the other foot. By the time you do the second foot you may want to redo the first one as you'll have a better handle on the process. The liners are supposed to be remoldable for up to 6 times so don't worry about doing it a second time to get them perfect.

I don't live in nyc anymore but I used to live on 73rd and 1st for years. I used to take the Emilio's bus as well as the Princeton bus downtown.

Not sure how much it would cost to mold the liners since I bought footbeds from them so they molded it for free. I bet they'd do it for free or for a minimal cost.

Hi There,

I live in Astoria (NW Queens, just over the Triborough bridge). I usually take busses too - I take the Emilios ski shop bus, which offers four trips a weekend, usually one to hunter, one to Windham, one to Okemo and one to Stratton, or something like that. I was actually supposed to be at Okemo today but it was raining in VT this morning after dropping 3" overnight and then was supposed to get colder ... sounds like the making of some horrifically bad conditions so I skipped out. I usually pick up the Emilios bus at New York Pipe Dreams, at 86th and York, but they also have pick ups in queens and brooklyn. I'm taking the bus to Mt.Snow tomorrow. I didn't know about the blades bus trips - more options is always better - do they have a website?

Yeah, their website is Bladesnyc.com. Its not a bad place to go, but its kinda limited, only saturdays and sundays to Hunter.

I come from speed skating where it is also necessary to have a perfect boot fit. Speed skating boots are also heat moldable, but im not sure how similar the two behave once heated. I know that BomberOnline mentions several times in several places that its best to have it done by a professional and that if not you are doing it "at your own risk!!!"

I guess what Im getting to is how easy is it to screw up? Whats the worst that can happen to your boots if you do? This is, of course, baring the possibility of cranking it up to 500 degrees and roasting em, lol.

Hey John - just went to Surefoot again, this time, bought a hotronic boot heating system and had them install it in the custom footbeds I had them make before - they just milled me a new pair of footbeds for the heating elements.

While I was waiting for the footbeds to be finished I was talking to the guy there about having thermoflexes molded and also about punching out the toes in my stratos. They have the thermoflex oven and they say they do this all the time. My discussion with them left me feeling pretty confident that they will do a good job, they asked lots of questions about the boots etc ... Once my liners arrive in the mail, I will bring them there and have them mould and punch them out. Again - I will post my results here.

Thanks for the info, Q. That sounds reassuring. I'll probably use them.

Hey guys,

I live almost right across the street from the UN, in Midtown East (2nd Ave at E. 42nd). My wife and I have plans to go up to VT at some point after mid-January; we might have room for one more sometime. We went to Butternut a couple of weeks ago; it was about 2 hours each way via the Tectonic Parkway or Teutonic--whatever the hell that thing is called. Anyway, next trip, I'll post a notice on the NY/PA section of the ride board.

Ahhh! My brand new boots smell like bacon!

Wait a minute...

MMmmmm, my brand new boots smell like bacon, lol.

Hey John, That would be great, Ive actually never been to Butternut. Late january might be a little early to take time off work since Im already taking the second week of Jan off too and I started the job about a month ago, so its a maybe.

Definitely thanks for the invite though. Just curious, about how often do you get out and what mountain do you visit most often?

John-

Ok, I went into surefoot on friday to have some liners moulded. and fix one of the hottronic heat elements in my custom footbeds. They moulded the liners for free and only charged me for the new set of elements to replace the old broken one. Went out riding on saturday at okemo and although the boots felt better, there was a new problem, too much pressure on the top of my foot. I went to a bootfitter there at Okemo to deal with the pressure. thie bootfitter at Okemo took one look at my feet, added some material beneath my footbeds and it was like a whole new boot. My foot feels 1000% more stable, after the bootfitters work at Okemo. I still have a bit too much pressure bearing down on my feet from the top of the boot and he had spoken to me about possibly grinding a bit of the shell footbed towards the front of the boot to relieve some pressure but that I should take a few runs first to see how I feel first. Never got back to him (hurt myself) but the one change he made was really confidence inspiring. He also noted that surefoot had installed my heat elements in the wrong spot.

So: Here's what I would say. Surefoot NY has great customer service and it is absolutely a great idea to have them make you a custom footbed but they are not a real bootfitter, and to some extent, dont have tons of expertise in improving boot fitment. I had a great experience with Okemo's bootfitter, and once I recover from my injury, I'll be back there to get some grinding done.

I'm really glad I didnt have Surefoot make any permanent modifications to my boots.