Note to New Members ×

PNW mini-session!

Jon Dahl

Bryan put me up for this! I would like to gauge the interest in doing something like this. Time frame, resorts that would be doable for this time frame, numbers of people interested, etc. After thinking on this for a day, I've come up with this. Bryan's suggestion for a Mon/Tue session is ok, but here are my thoughts. Monday, Crystal mountain. C5 would be the one for thoughts on the best runs there, as would Art. Perhaps we could get a first tracks/early chair thing with access to some really buffed runs. Tuesday, Stevens Pass. I know the frontside has some good possibilities, especially the run they use for races. When buffed out nicely, it has edge to edge carvability. Wednesday, Whistler/Blackcomb. Goes w/o saying we could wear ourselves out there. All three of these have the ability to serve up the best if we get a big storm front and are forced to get out the Tankers.

So, post up here dates available for you. I need to figure this out myself so I can set up vacation days to do this. I think sometime in February, no conflict with SES and no holiday days, to avoid fighting crowds.

After a set of dates can be arrainged, I would have to talk to these resorts to see what we could do for lift ticket prices, first tracks chairs, base tents, and maybe some freebies if enough people get on the bandwagon. And maybe a retro day??

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a great idea and would be in on a cascade tour de force. I have a question for Art also, I have some free CM warren tickets that I need to use by the 18th . I might come up and ride the 18th but was wondering about snow conditions up there? Big snows coming this week to all the cascades but not sure if its worth leaving Hood for a day? Any updates or potenial riders for tuesday the 18th up at CM to convince me to come?

Jim

Jim I have not been up yet but I hear they have decent cover on the runs but off piste is not a good idea. I would call it moderate cruising right now, so if you want to burn the fuel for a free day........ unless some one else has better intel I would say stay home unless we get hammered this weekend. Im out of the circuit for a while, just too busy. go to skicrystal.com for the goods

Jon and Art - I'd be up for a mini-session at C.M. in February, midweek is good. I'll tell everyone I'm networking, then I can write off the miles.

Jim - I will be at Crystal Tuesday morning (tomorrow), blue jacket, silver helmet, hard boots.

Awesome to have some of the Wa guys show us around! Will be riding a Tanker 192, td2, orange hardboots! Have blue coat, silver helmut, black bibs... I have a softbooter friend coming also (please be nice!) Call or use frs radio if you have one.

Jim

We have a few commitments, not enough to pry any deals out of a ski area, though. I am going to let this thread ride for a few weeks, then see what we get for a body count, and a week that fits all involved. 6-8 riders would make this fun, more would let us get some sort of a deal. C'mon, post up!!

Feb. 4-6, and 25-27 would put us into non-holiday Monday riding, and no conflict with SES. Want to avoid Pres. day if at all possible. Only other choice is to ride on SES week, I for one am not able to go, so no conflict for me. I need to know, so I can arrainge days off. Not able to be self-employed quite yet! Lemme know.

Allright Jim, spill........musta been good

Art it was super both days. Had probabaly a foot new on tuesday. Was getting face shots all day. Everyone left at 1pm and at 2pm the wind stopped and sun peaked. We spent many runs on the green valley lift picking lines through the rocks below the lift line at the top after traversing. No was riding in there and it was deep and soft! Had a lot of fun and Crystal is a super mountain midweek. Rode my tanker 192 both days and it was super practice for my upcoming BC snowcat trip. Will post a few pics later but didnt take very many due to the extremly snowy conditions.

Jim

post-219-141842243898_thumb.jpg

post-219-141842243899_thumb.jpg

I'm in for the session in February, not sure yet if I'll have the early dates available, but the later dates are good for sure. I was at C.M. yesterday and rode the lift with a full time snowboard instructor who had never seen or heard of hard boots, what's the world coming to ?

Jon, I may be able to make it over for the later session...keep posting on what your guys plan is going to be...Jim, I will be making a pnw visit and will head from vancouver down to portland to visit family while riding with all of you and Bryan as well.

cheers and happy holidays,

sandy

Feb 25-27 looks like the target dates. Art is in for C.M. on Monday, Keenan, Jim(p06781) and myself for all three, and svr is a maybe for this if he gets back on time. I will let this ride for another week to see if we get any more takers. Then I can go to these resorts to see what I can wrangle out of 'em. Is Bryan in???Hmm??? Lookin' like Galen is in, too!

I am hoping to get firm commitments for this by a week or so from now. That way I am not in scramble mode in mid-February trying to put something together. Not laying on a guilt trip, just stating fact. A 4-6 person informal time is fine in my book, and it looks like that is what I should plan for. If it gets bigger than this in a week, I can go that way, too. C'mon people, lets get together and do this!!

Now I need help with a problem that I thought of last night on my way home from Stevens Pass. The drive to Whistler would be a big stretch after a big day at Stevens. Do we do a short day there and leave early to Canada, or what?? I need some thoughts here, leaving at 4pm and driving to Whistler is 5-6 hrs, is pushing it at best. Post up! P.S. anyone have any inside info on deals at Whistler for accomodations?

You might do half the drive, spent the night in B-Ham, get up early and hit the opening at whistler. Downside is North Van rush hour. All of my whistler contacts have dried up. You might be able to score a package deal, I would always stay at the Crystal Lodge in the village, it was usually around 120 a night with ticket, parking and such, but also a little later in the year.

Will be riding Crystal Mtn this coming saturday morning while on a rode trip up to kelonwa BC for a Catboarding trip. Randomly met Sean from snowperformance last year on the way up to BC on the same trip with a foot new at Crystal so we have good snow karma! Let me know if anyone wants to join...

Jim