Note to New Members ×

I need a garage !

Surf Quebec

I receive my tuning tool from artechski today.

I started filing the edge (file + diamond stone using the side of beast) and hot waxing.

Boy this is make some mess when scrapping ... I do all that on the kitchen's table ....

Where do you do your tuning ?

same here, put a tarp or a few trash bags down

Used to be in the livingroom on a couple folding tables. A little news paper down on the floor, but that didn't stop much. Now it's in the basement in front of the 72" projector screen. I still try to put some stuff down to catch the scrapings. When the basement is finished I'm pretty sure there'll be a dedicated work-room for skis and boards.:1luvu:

I live on the 15th floor of a downtown condo in Vancouver, so my options for tuning space are limited. I have a set-up that allows me to tune my skis and boards in our small kitchen.

It's the same set-up that i used to use when I was a snowboard rep for Winterstick in the 90's. Back in the day we had to do tunes and repair work to our demo boards every night after a demo day. I managed to get tuning bench clips that would snap onto a flat surface, and we did many a tune in hotel bathrooms.

All my tuning equipment fits in a small toolbox that comes on the road during the season.

Home depot sells folding metal saw horses that tuning jigs/supports can be attatched to without much of a hastle. The horses are heavy enough to be stable and fold up small enough to easily stow in a closet or car trunk.

Way back when I coached a couple of kids who were competing at a series in Steamboat, they thought it would be a great idea to tune their edges on their hotel beds. The following day they ended up breaking the only table in the room in half. Great fun!

I have a wood shop downstairs so I use my table saw - left side with a large thick piece of plywood attached for a waxing/tuning bench. Lately I been using that more than my saw,. I need a new project - maybe a table for the dining room if this rain continues. (yes, I lowered the blade ! :biggthump )

Why?

You could tune and base grind at the same time!:biggthump

Lets count the reasons..

1.an exposed blade is very sharp and I like my fingers too much plus it hurts my golf game if my hands are cut.

2. an exposed blade makes ugly marks on the bottom of the snowboard

3. if by chance the switch is accidently turned on by any outside agency that would be - well i don't wanna think about it.

4. I like my Freud carbide blades very much

Lets count the reasons..

1.an exposed blade is very sharp and I like my fingers too much plus it hurts my golf game if my hands are cut.

Strategicaly placed calouses and scar tissue can fine tune your swing.

2. an exposed blade makes ugly marks on the bottom of the snowboard

Ugly marks, cross hatch ... whatever you'd like to call it.

3. if by chance the switch is accidently turned on by any outside agency that would be - well i don't wanna think about it.

Trust me, Nobody will come anywhere near you while you are base grinding with a table saw.

4. I like my Freud carbide blades very much

Good, You'll want to use your best and sharpest blades in order to get top-notch results.:biggthump :lol:

Strategicaly placed calouses and scar tissue can fine tune your swing.

Ugly marks, cross hatch ... whatever you'd like to call it.

Trust me, Nobody will come anywhere near you while you are base grinding with a table saw.

Good, You'll want to use your best and sharpest blades in order to get top-notch results.:biggthump :lol:

Hmmm.. I am damn glad I do not have DingBat for a Neighobr -- it would get ugly around here! :biggthump

The table saw adjusts to multiple angles, right? So then you could put your 1 or 2 degree sides on there. Or if you have a tennoning jig (sp) then you can do the base bevel too...

Give your board to Norm Abrams of New Yankee Workshop, I bet he could work something out...

Hmmm.. I am damn glad I do not have DingBat for a Neighobr -- it would get ugly around here! :biggthump

Yes, but hopefully your neighbor doesn't have a dingbat for a neighbor either.:biggthump

.... and how'd you know I was ugly?

So back on topic, I wax my boards over cardboard or paper in the front room and file, scrape, and brush on the front porch bench. The board rests nicely on the arms without having to remove the bindings and any wax I don't get swept up just helps keep the weather out of the old porch boards.

I bought a cheap folding table a Home Depot. I then wraped two two foot lengths of 2x2 in nonslip kitchen padding/liner or tool box drawer liner. Then I screwed the wrapped 2x2's to the table from the underside about four feet apart. I can do everthing I need to without totally removeing my bindings, without the board slipping, without dripping wax on the floor, and I just brush the scrappings from the table right into a garbage can. It works pretty slick.

I started doing my own waxing a few years ago. I'm OK with the waxing part but never liked the scraping. So I quit scraping. For the way I ride & the conditions that I ride in I can't tell a difference. I try to put the wax on as thin as possible. After a few runs the snow scrapes the wax off the part of the base that gets the most contact. Every 3 days or so I re-wax where the wax wears off the sides of the base. I make an exception if the temps get really cold, then I'll scrape off what's left of the old wax in order to re-wax with a cold temperature wax. Rob

Alot of times what I'll do is hotwax with an iron like normal, then instead of scraping, wax whizard the rest of the wax in. I only do it with a clean board though, cause I don't want that crap going back into my board after drawing it out with an iron.

I just crayon the wax on by touching the wax to a hot iron and then rubbing the wax onto the board. I then iron that wax in. Saves a lot of wax and I can scrap it off in minutes. It's actually such a thin layer I could almost brush it out. It also doesn't seem to chip as much either.

I would recommend scraping and brushing, but to each their own.