Note to New Members ×

PDX or hood meetup?

dshack

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the snow that's the problem, it's the fact that corralling college students into getting off campus earlier than 7:30 is mighty tough. Because of parking and traffic, we've made first chair at close to 10, which isn't horrible, but pretty much puts poaching virgin groomers out of the question.

It's not the snow that's the problem, it's the fact that corralling college students into getting off campus earlier than 7:30 is mighty tough. Because of parking and traffic, we've made first chair at close to 10, which isn't horrible, but pretty much puts poaching virgin groomers out of the question.

Yes, I can see where that would be an issue. (Oh, and that is horrible) Not quite as horrible as not getting to go and turn, but in my book, showing up on a Saturday after 9am is not so good.

That is why you are in college. To get smarter :1luvu:

Look forward to put a face with a name SOME day.

That day will not likely be a SATURDAY :eplus2:

Old guys LOVE to give young guys a little bit of a hard time.

We feel it is somehow an earned privilege. Oh, and we are Jealous too! :biggthump

Stay at it, your time will come.

Hi everyone,

I am planning on going to MHM tommorow, Wed. the 12th, if anyone would like to make some turns. Let me know,

Quentin :D

Umm? love to make turns with another PNW newbie alpiner that has osb history.

Not sure if I am going to make it. Looks like maybe Thursday if Jim firms up.

Got my rock board dialed , need light or fresh snow to get excited again. Know what I mean Vern?

Bryan

Guest GQuentin

Will I be ok with my new axxess on SS? Is there enough snow? The pics of SS look great from last week.

This will be my 1st day on plates, so is there another run I should start with.

Also, I had my angles locked in at 58 front and 55 Rear which allowed no boot overhang, but the back was a little uncomftable, so I changed the my rear foot to 45 degree's which is gives allot of toe overhang. My thinking is for my first day I won't be low enough to have toe drag. Are these angles ok?

I am drinking a beer myself, it is hard to stop with all of the great seasonal brews :lol:

Thanks for any advice,

Quentin

Will I be ok with my new axxess on SS? Is there enough snow? The pics of SS look great from last week.

This will be my 1st day on plates, so is there another run I should start with.

Also, I had my angles locked in at 58 front and 55 Rear which allowed no boot overhang, but the back was a little uncomftable, so I changed the my rear foot to 45 degree's which is gives allot of toe overhang. My thinking is for my first day I won't be low enough to have toe drag. Are these angles ok?

I am drinking a beer myself, it is hard to stop with all of the great seasonal brews :lol:

Thanks for any advice,

Quentin

Sorry, past the pi0nt of any responsiblity for my responses. :eplus2:

Seriously?

Make a run off "Buttermilk" lift, it is super well groomed and so low an angle that you will feel like a hero or be pissed off by the lack of speed. Then move up to "Easy Rider" , again , seriously, it has excellent grooming and first day expert pitches, just don't get caught repeatedly in the "Low spot". After you get tired of the frequent stops and fixed grip pace. Move to MHM Express and do a run on "North Canyon" if it is starting to get tracked. Get on over to SS. The problem lies in just getting over there on your first day.

IF you make it, enjoy the ridge and skid shamlessly down that last pitch "under the chair" , ignor me heckling you from the chair :biggthump your doing fine just to get there.

NOTE: So , long time soft boot snowboarder? First time alpiner? Perpair to be humiliated. Go low angle and swallow your pride. Everyone says "Holy Szht, this is way fast, I feel like I am going to break off at the knees" , Think slow and deliberate and a little goes along way. Welcome to alpine! Hope you survive your first day. See another hard booter? Say " I know Bryan from online, you have a new friend. Bryan

Make a run off "Bunny" lift, it is super well groomed and so low an angle that you will feel like a hero or be pissed off by the lack of speed. Then move up to "Easy Rider" , again , seriously, it has excellent grooming and first day expert pitches, just don't get caught repeatedly in the "Low spot". After you get tired of the frequent stops and fixed grip pace. Move to MHM Express and do a run on "North Canyon" if it is starting to get tracked. Get on over to SS. The problem lies in just getting over there on your first day.

IF you make it, enjoy the ridge and skid shamlessly down that last pitch "under the chair" , ignor me heckling you from the chair :biggthump your doing fine just to get there.

+1

Spend some time on Buttermilk. I had a tough time hardbooting my first time at Meadows (about my 3rd day). Buttermilk was very helpful, short, and flat. Welcome to the green runs for a while.

Enjoy,

Buell

Buell,

Is there a nice run at Bachelor that has enough snow? Hell, I think the drive is about the same.

I can answer that...

Your best bet at Bachelor is to park at Sunrise and do Marshmallow. It's a

very gentle pitch, but it's longer than the Buttercup area at Meadows, and

it's an express lift.

From there you can move up to Carnival and then I-5, and then Chipper.

Buell,

Is there a nice run at Bachelor that has enough snow? Hell, I think the drive is about the same.

I think it is exactly 1/2 as much snow. However , start at Sunrise and hope Rainbow opens so you can get after it on "I-5" from what the locals said today.

Thanks Buell and Rebecca for the candid and frank conditions update.

Usually Mt Hood and Bach are neck and neck. We just got lucky and caught a big storm that shorted Central Oregon.

So, I can start drinkin again? :eplus2:

Guest GQuentin

What do you guys think. Bachelor sounds like it has the runs I am looking for, I just don't want to tear up my board.

So the question for the newbie comes to:

Bachelor or Meadows?