Note to New Members ×

Colorado snow forecast

John E

Colorado had a pretty good snow year last season. However, I was listening to the radio this AM & a guy from the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is predicting that because of La Nina, Colorado will have a drier than average snow season. He said that in the 7 years he has been issuing predictions, he has never issued such a dry forecast. :(

In the Denver area, we have had almost no snow yet this year & we've had 7 days over 70 degrees in November.

Good for bike riding bad for snow riding.

Colorado had a pretty good snow year last season. However, I was listening to the radio this AM & a guy from the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is predicting that because of La Nina, Colorado will have a drier than average snow season. He said that in the 7 years he has been issuing predictions, he has never issued such a dry forecast. :(

In the Denver area, we have had almost no snow yet this year & we've had 7 days over 70 degrees in November.

Good for bike riding bad for snow riding.

Forecast, smorecast. I think all these guys are quacks and refuse to indulge anyone who operates in a business that they can be a "percentage" correct.

I don't want watch the Fantasy eerrrr.... Weather Channel either.

Yep it's La Nina for NM/CO. I'm not too worried as long as I can make some turns. Southern CO and Northern NM already got some nice snow over Thanksgiving, and it's looking like more snow is en route this week as well.

It looks like the PNW and NE are going to have strong seasons...as well as the Great Lakes area?

Again these are predictions and are not set in stone so I wouldn't worry too much. They cannot predict quantities and such so even if it only snows a handfull of times, but they are massive dumps, then it'll still be a great season.

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone has any interest.

Over Thanksgiving Snowmass got over 3' and last night (12/6) we got another foot in Aspen and it's dumping hard outside my window at work (across the street from Buttermilk). It's suppose to snow for the next 2 days.

it's finally winter!!!!!!!!!!!

JoelP

keep that snow coming!

i'm headed to Aspen on the 14th and really looking forward to some nice snow and getting a chance to ride my new Tanker :biggthump

NorCal just got 9 inches last night which was very much needed. Let's hope for a good season everywhere.

Oh my gosh... You gotta warn me when you're gonna put up pictures that aren't safe for work!

I hope there is a storm like that on February 1... Then feb 2 needs to be clear so there aren't any airport delays going into steamboat. Then a series of sunny days and snowy nights. I don't care if the flights back home get canceled, cause I'll probably want to stay there anyways.

Actually, I checked the climate forecasting, and it shows EC for Vail area of CO. Equal Chance with no deviation with precipitation. Knowing Colorado -- the normal weather pattern, we'd get s--tload of 'em snow. TWICE in one day, I had to clean up my truck off the snow. Snowmobiling in deep powder while working was -fun- and more than made up for me to miss out skiing/snowboarding in deep powder (I work graveyard).

Crested Butte was awesome but it was kind of crowded. Waist deep powder and it snowed all day. With the crowds, there was a 15-20 min lift line and most of the runs got pretty tracked out and were choppy. Hope to go back tomorrow and try my hardboot setup out on some nice groomers.

Sounds like Wolfie and Butte were great!

Monarch got 70" from the storm -- outstanding conditions:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEn2YpXnBaY&rel=0&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEn2YpXnBaY&rel=0&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

-or-

http://www.snowycolorado.com/stories/20071209-monarch-opening.html

:)

tom.

Crested Butte was awesome but it was kind of crowded. Waist deep powder and it snowed all day. With the crowds, there was a 15-20 min lift line and most of the runs got pretty tracked out and were choppy. Hope to go back tomorrow and try my hardboot setup out on some nice groomers.

So was the North Face open? Phoenix-Spellbound? The Banana?

Come one we need details. Love to hear the sound of that avalauncher at the base area.

Pppffffwwwwweeeeeeekkkkkkk! Pause, pause, pause. Kaboom!

Gotta love that sound.

Tom did you make Lisa stay home? Didn't look she was out there with you. Glad all you southern places are getting snow.

We got another inch and a half last night. HUge.....

Went to Loveland yesterday. They show 36" in the last 4 days. About 7" new overnight. It was good - not great. Some of the best parts of the mountain not yet open. Crowds were light - no lift lines. Soft snow throughout the day. Great early season conditions - good mid-season conditions.

Come one we need details. Love to hear the sound of that avalauncher at the base area.

Pppffffwwwwweeeeeeekkkkkkk! Pause, pause, pause. Kaboom!

Gotta love that sound.

They got about seven shots off before 9am at Wolfie. My best friend is like "it's hunting season". I'm like "no dude, avalanche cleanup". LOL

Sounds like Wolf Creek was THE place to be this weekend. Lots of snow & few people.

I've only been to WC once - about 3 years ago over Christmas holiday. The snow was pretty good but the place was completely overrun with Texans.

I think mine was the only car in the parking lot. Almost every other vehicle was a huge truck or SUV with Texas plates - do they sell cars in Texas?

We were there for 2 days. On the 2nd day we went (rider's) far right (I forget the name of the area). Some of the best tree riding I've ever done.

Went to Loveland yesterday. They show 36" in the last 4 days. About 7" new overnight. It was good - not great. Some of the best parts of the mountain not yet open. Crowds were light - no lift lines. Soft snow throughout the day. Great early season conditions - good mid-season conditions.
Shelly said she saw someone with a red jacket, black pants and a black Donek yesterday. I figured it was you. I was too busy hopping a plane to Alabama to get on the mountain. :(

Give the Lovey crew a heads up next time you plan to go up.

Dustin

Sounds like Wolf Creek was THE place to be this weekend. Lots of snow & few people.

I've only been to WC once - about 3 years ago over Christmas holiday. The snow was pretty good but the place was completely overrun with Texans.

I think mine was the only car in the parking lot. Almost every other vehicle was a huge truck or SUV with Texas plates - do they sell cars in Texas?

We were there for 2 days. On the 2nd day we went (rider's) far right (I forget the name of the area). Some of the best tree riding I've ever done.

OldAcura,

I think that's the "waterfall" area. And it was awesome! :biggthump

Actually it's the first time I've been in the "backcountry" and was starting to get scared like I was lost. The three of us got split up and I was "lost" in the trees. I actually started to panic. I'm looking around and I see nothing but trees and powder, and I can continue "downhill to the right" but I'm thinking maybe I'm out of bounds? Then I started to think about the walk back to the lift through thigh deep powder...

Then a minute or so later I pop out and there's my brother-in-law and I'm so happy I'm not the only doofus stranded in BFE. We found a catwalk to the Alberta lift and it's WAYYY out there. Pretty much all black diamond/double blacks serviced off that lift. All tree runs too. The only blue was the catwalk back over to the base area...

Good times! :)