Note to New Members ×

new Virus board

Tramp

---109-th.jpgWinter is starting in Europe!

In Austria I've seen and tested many new boards from Virus-Snowboards factoty.

And I've tеsted some boards and especially one on pic.

Perfect job of factory. Looks nice. But that board are the same wide eurocarving board as others making for that stile. I don't know it's meserment.

The board is not stiff and have good torsion. Good riding! Interesting enough board.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I have a board like that in Titanal version. Indeed a very good board.

The below is a copy-paste of an e-mail I sent to someone regarding my first impressions on the board.

---------------------------------

To start with the bottom-line: I got exactly what I wanted and expected!

In more details, the board has the advantage of a wide board, (i.e. lower binding angles, more edge pressure due to the bigger leverage, easy to lay it down with the rotation technique, etc) without losing the manoeuvrability at lower speeds - what the ME109 tends to do, at least to me.

Comparing it to the ME109, it is way more easy to drive the board at lower speeds, it absorbs unevennesses much better and needs less effort to bend. This I guess is a result of the softer nose and less camber. You can even do short partially laid turns with it on blueish slopes (Pitztal T-bar blue slope) just like with the Zylon Gladi. While you need less effort to bend it compared to the ME109, it still gives you more liveliness than the Swoard I tried under these conditions.

Also a very good cruising board on long blue slopes, you can do elegant long carves with it with rotation techniqe like with a GS board and then suddenly you do 2-3 short ones with aggressive push like you would do with the Gladi.

When riding on more steep parts (Pitztal top slope) I enjoyed the board being a bit more forgiving than the ME109, however, I also have to say that in the afternoon when the slope become a bit used (usual soft moguls and icy spots) sometimes I missed the brutal force of the ME109. The ME109 would go through everything without even giving you a slight signal. Maybe I just have to adjust my style and get used to the X-treme that tends to send more signals from the ground.

As Pitztal does not have steep slopes like Zinal has, that part of the test will have to be done at an other time, but from what I experienced so far I would expect that the board will feel a bit smoother than the ME109 on a very steep slope and the more forgiving nature will support the rider to stay fully laid as long as possible during the turns.

The other thing that I liked is that at fast speed fall line travels it felt more similar to the Gladi then to the ME109. It was very stable and absorbed well the small bumps and unevennesses without shooting me out to outer space.

As for the alu-titanal top-sheet it is very nice, but you have to be really careful with it as it is less resistant at the tail than a regular board.

---------------------------------

Kindest

post-2318-141842239487_thumb.jpg

So you want to build an extreme carving board and don't know how?

1. You could just buy a Swoard

2. You could get the idea and outline and build your own twist and art into it, a-la Coiler EX.

3. You could pretend you can build a Swoard, get the template and secrets to the design, screw the customers not building them even with orders in place, ruin a whole season of orders for Swoard, then come out the next year with the exact copy (well, add Titanal to make it fancy)...

Don't know about you, but if I had the buck, I would go for (1) or (2), and leave (3) on principle alone. Too much of a small community to screw your peers like that.

Anyway, my point was not about how to build a board, that would put me to sleep too.

I'm peeved at dishonesty and buying from such producers even if they make good products by screwing others in the process. Promise I won't rant again.

Each history has at least two truths. And I do not wish to understand another's scandals. I wish to ride and take pleasure with it. I'm not the judge!

I'm that who like to take pleasures from life...

If I see a thing and it is pleasant to me, I take it! Also I'll not think at all at whom this manufacturer swears or lives with the world...

And Burton first made first snowboard... may be...

But what?

Thor: 1st generation Swoad was produced by DuretSkis if I'm not mistaken (http://www.duretskis.com/). BTW they have a wide body snowboard, too (http://www.duretskis.com/index.php?idarticle=161). lol.gif

Nils, pls correct me if I'm wrong. smashfreakB.gif

As for the previous comments regarding Virus and Swoard... please, gimme a break... this has been discussed several times..... someone posted a question, I responded, that's all. ices_angel_g.gif

Hope you guys don't want to execute me flamethrowingsmiley.gif for buying Franks products, and respecting the Swoard team at the same time, plus attending the annual Swoard meetings, too...

Kindest

Anyway, my point was not about how to build a board, that would put me to sleep too.

I'm peeved at dishonesty and buying from such producers even if they make good products by screwing others in the process. Promise I won't rant again.

Hello Jamar, I hope we can stop this ugly ever and ever again discussion right here.

We are in snowboard buisiness now since more than 20 years and I think we have relaly a lot of experience in building carving and alpine boards.

We started building wide carving boards from 22cm center +

more than five years ago and are riding and testing this prototypes since then. We stopped that project by making the boards for Swoard, as the partership ended we picked up that again and forced it, what´s the problem.

Our boards are totally different in material and shape! Yes they are wide too!

But there are a lot of wide boards on the market too. And we have our Extreme series for more than 12 years any rights on any name and we put the names of the board on the tails in the past too!

This was definetly my last post on that story and I wish every other manufacturer best luck in his buisiness! :1luvu:

Frank is correct. He was building and selling EC style boards for a number of years before Swoard approached him to make their boards. And Bruce is now making an EC style board too.

Besides, it's not about what a manufacturer makes, it's about what the market buys. We have more impact voting with our money that we do whining on this forum.

ME109 which was the previous wide body snowboard produced by Virus. A great one, too.

Yes! Yes! Yes! I hve it too!

and that boards was made and also on sale earlier then dear Swoard. Thus the Virus Co. can speak about plagiarism also. But does not speak it. And respects other manufacturer too...

Peace!!! :1luvu:

Besides, it's not about what a manufacturer makes, it's about what the market buys. We have more impact voting with our money that we do whining on this forum.

I agree with Chris. If this elongated overpriced Wild Duck Knifer is a such a marvel, there will be enough buyers for it. For rest of us there will be Virus, Donek, Coiler or G force. I personally was not impress with this piece of wood at all and I am getting tired to listen to constant whimping from Sword"s crowd on this forum.

Hi Ladia Still grumpy? ;)

C'mon, it is a nice day in sunshine in California!!

Maybe it is the oil spill in our bay that makes you upset... :angryfire

As a year round windsurfer, I am very disappointed. Since I am a lousy swimmer, maybe the oil would help me float when I fall. :confused:

FYI, I bought a Wild Duck in Santa Cruz for ~$100 "a couple years ago" (<--Thx Jim!!).

I agree that at this price, it is X10 the price I bought the VAS from you.... :ices_ange