Note to New Members ×

New vs Used vs NOS...

tex1230

My 2002 (?) Oxygen Proton 168 is the most thoughly ripping fun board I have ever ridden.I can think of a detail or two that I might want to change,but this board has taught me some of what I will want out of a true custom.It is surprisingly adaptable to all mountain conditions including riding switch.Some retailers will do their best to convince us we're all in grave danger and or being held back using anything used and not made within the last year or two but it just isn't true,(world cup kesslers aside,but that's a different priority)Besides,we bottom feeders are an important part of the food chain just as in any ecosystem.

I will Never, Ever again buy a board older than 5 years unless it's a collector's piece. That goes for Used and NOS. after 5 years, I'd say that any used board is going to be dead, and any NOS board becomes dangerous due to the natural breakdown of the plastics and core materials.

Everything in my post applies to WOOD CORES, cuz foam is for shaving, right?

I don't disagree with your reasoning, but I think that how much camber the board still has left is usually a pretty good indication of it's servicability and more importantly, a fun ride.

I believe that the intrusion of water into the lamination of materials is the factor that will most affect the breakdown of a board. Once a board comes out of the press, is wrapped in plastic and stored in a place that's kept at a constant temperature and isn't too humid, it should ride as good as the day it was made quite a few years down the road.

Today, I rode an eleven year old 185cm factory prime team board I bought from Bryan Sutherland on ebay. (until my legs gave out) As a very experienced rider, believe me when I tell you, there is no way this board belongs on someone's garage wall. It still has many fast, good carves left in it. It rode as smooth as silk, held a ridiculous edge and made me realize what horrendously(sic?) bad shape my body is in.

Don't get me wrong though, there are some used boards floating around that are total dogs and should be turned into firewood at your local Ullr party. I just feel that you could potentially pass over a really nice deck based purely on it's age. (never say never right?):biggthump

later,

Dave R.

I've got a mid-90's Alp that I still enjoy a lot. I bought it used in the late-90's so I've definitely got my money's worth out of it. I think it is a great all-mountain board --- carves pretty well, cruises easily, and is forgiving in the bumps and crud.

I've also a 1999 Ultra Prime, which still looks and rides like new (I'm easy on equipment). It's also a lot of fun.

I also have a new Prior 4WD. Comparing the new Prior to the old Burtons I really can't say that the new board is significantly better. Each board has its strengths and they each ride a little differently, but they are all good. I thought the Prior would be the best all-mountain board, but the Alp is more forgiving in the bumps with the Prior holding a better edge for carving. I love the UP's light weight and its edge-to-edge quickness, which makes the Prior feel like a tank. I do like the Prior a lot, but not enough to sell off the old Burtons.

I've got a mid-90's Alp that I still enjoy a lot. I bought it used in the late-90's so I've definitely got my money's worth out of it. I think it is a great all-mountain board --- carves pretty well, cruises easily, and is forgiving in the bumps and crud.

I've also a 1999 Ultra Prime, which still looks and rides like new (I'm easy on equipment). It's also a lot of fun.

I also have a new Prior 4WD. Comparing the new Prior to the old Burtons I really can't say that the new board is significantly better. Each board has its strengths and they each ride a little differently, but they are all good. I thought the Prior would be the best all-mountain board, but the Alp is more forgiving in the bumps with the Prior holding a better edge for carving. I love the UP's light weight and its edge-to-edge quickness, which makes the Prior feel like a tank. I do like the Prior a lot, but not enough to sell off the old Burtons.

Here, here!

I ride Burton Ultra-primes, Coils and Fish. The Ultra-Primes do everything I want them to. I folded one last year that I had ridden 200 plus days, and it was the first year plain wrapper. The only reason that happened was a 10' headwall drop into a trough. I own 8 of them-4 brand new, and will continue to ride them as my main on and off piste board in anything but 6" or more powder.

Hopefully the new "High Tech" will last as long.

I have a Ride Kildy 159 that still sees occasional use, and its a blast to ride. It is mounted with an ancient pair of burton race plates (the really old ones, from the PJ Era).

Once I had my bindings set in what felt like their optimal positioning on the board for my riding style, I basically epoxied them in place .... The bindings freak me out but I've never had a problem with that board and its still fun as hell to ride ...

I also have an alp that sees use on powder days and other less-than-optimal carving days. Never a problem there either.

That said: With Alpine snowboarding being such a small and somewhat economically vulnerable segment of the market, I think that buying new boards is really helps push the sport forward and keep it healthy. If you have the cash handy, buying new boards funds the innovators that keep pushing the sport forward. My next board purchase will be next fall and will almost certainly be a metal Prior.

I think my next board will be a nice long super-G board.(197cm+) I haven't really decided between donek, coiler, prior, but I'm leaning towards prior because his place is only a two hour drive away, so I can meet with him personally and bring some of my other boards and tell him what i like and what i don't like etc. Oh well, I guess I just decided, didn't I?

later,

Dave R.