Note to New Members ×

Hardshell v softshell?

Allee

My Columbia soft shell is the only synthetic clothing item I have that doesn't pick up hairs from our husky. It's black, so hairs would show. You could lay the jacket in the dogs bed, give it a shake and it would be hairless. Other than that, it's my in between temp jacket, say 20 to 30 F.

BobD

I'm loving them now, I used to hate them but I think the difference is that my last experience with a softshell jackets was mid 90s and they fit like ski wear so for riding they did not work to well because they would ride up, the lining was not as nice as more modern ones and also I have changed or at least my needs in a shell have.

I ride less now, where as I was on snow seven days a week working and so on. I needed rugged, breathable and waterproof but really rugged and breathable were all I cared about other than the obvious like fit.

Now, I ride less and don't work on snow so my needs are less demanding and I like my softshell the best now, go figure...

Unless it's raining or effin' cold the softshell is all I want to wear because it feels the least restrictive and still provides a bit of coziness.

the biggest issue I have with sofshells is that they snag easily and they pill at wear points