Note to New Members ×

170cm - 175cm

ronals

Trying to get into the hardboots, not exactly sure what I am looking for. After some research this i what I think I want.

170cm - 175cm length, 10m - 12m SCR, not exactly sure about stiffness and dampness. Want something that can hold an edge here on the Ice Coast. I have a fair amount of experience laying over carves in softboots and want a board that is stable at high speeds and will let me really lay down into some carves.

Any recomendations??

Also looking for some Head Stratos Pros size 28 and Catek or TD2 Bindings.

Too funny. I was going to recommend the Donek Freecarve 171 or 175. Then I read down to Mike's post.

The one Mike has for sale would be awesome on the ice coast, since it has the olympic construction (extra dampening is good on the ice and ruts). FWIW, I've seen how Mike treats his equipment and I suspect that board is as good as new, if not better. Here's a link to his listing. Mike's board has an 18cm waist, so you'll have to run angles in the mid-high 50's, maybe 60, assuming you don't have gunboats for feet.

If price is no object, there are some sweet boards for Yurup, but the weak dollar makes them really expensive. Prior's metal boards would be my next choice.

Thanks for all the input guys, The Donek Freecarve sounds like it is just what I am looking for.... but a little out of my price range. Trying to keep it under $400 for my first board since I am not exactly sure what I am looking for.

You could probably obtain a used Madd 170 in that price range. Keep your eyes peeled - they come up for sale on these classifieds fairly often. I owned one myself a couple of years ago.

I have a Donek Aross FC 180 that might fit the bill. I like it a lot, but I have a Coiler that I want to get to know better. I can honestly say I have felt more comfortable on the Aross than any board I have ridden to date. It's not to stiff, not to skinny, and has a moderate SCR of 12m. It's a little longer than your request, but not by much. It's in your price range though. If you're interested shoot me an e-mail and I will get you more info.

For edge hold on ice, or going through the chop I would want something not too stiff and fairly damp, right???

Yes, for ice you want something that's not too stiff and reasonably damp. If by "through the chop" you mean looser caked up snow then damp is still good but you don't want it too soft. If you are looking for something to get over uneven but firm stuff, that's where something expensive like titanal comes in...