Note to New Members ×

Video Camera setups?

Tick

Anyone have good recomendations? I bought one of those tiny Samsung cameras (SC-X105L) a few years ago because of its compactness. However, when the temp gets much below 20 or so, the battery pukes out (it's not a lithium battery pack). Helmet cams look o.k, but none I've seen have zoom lenses, and it looks difficult if you want to let someone else use it and film you.

I'm on Sony HDR-HC3 and been quite happy with that, had earlier Panasonic GS70 but updated due HD :rolleyes:

Batteries on both are surviving quite nicely, have two sets on both and pretty much either get bored to film or freeze my fingers before run out power.

Only thing i dont like with Sony is internal viewfinder due it can not be turned to look from upside which makes filming with tripod quite difficult/impossible.

Have also small headcam unit to be connected to camera but due missing video input on that Sony (and due it gives just low quality output) i have not used it lately.

I'd say get a bullet cam that will plug into your current cam.. You can keep the camera in a vest pocket or something to keep it warm, then put the bullet on your helmet or on your binding. To let somebody else use it, just unplug the bullet and they're off.

We use this technique for setting up "in the line of fire" cams for rally races, as the bullet cams usually have a garuntee. One company offers a garuntee that says if the camera is broken, just send them the video of the camera being broken and they'll replace it. But I digress...

The problem with bullet cams is as pokkis said, finding a camera that you can plug a bullet into.

I've shot some footage with a Tony Hawk HelmetCam but I wouldn't recommend it. Batteries die quickly in the cold and it only shoots at 15 fps.

I was running a GS course with it and got too close to a gate, shearing it right off the helmet. Luckily I found it but the mount was busted.

Here is one clip with "helmet cam" or in reality on Boot cam this time :rolleyes:

http://pensnowboard.com/zap.wmv

Yes it works somehow in that tiny mode but using it as part of "film" with decent quality it is quite poor :(

Best part with those tiny cams is that you can get exotic views from places like under skateboard etc but main pain really is low resolution.

And please no comments about my lines on track :nono:

Cool video!

I tried the same thing last year but I mounted the helmet cam on my right (rear) boot aimed forward. I wanted to capture the same perspective but have the front boot visible in the shot. Unfortunately snow flew up and obstructed the lens on the first turn so I got nothing. Your video came out great.