Note to New Members ×

Best day last season

John E

What was your best day last season?

Mine (Warning: non-carving content):

Late season (early April). Loveland had gotten 27" over the previous 4 days. Monday night I called all of my buddies to see if anyone could play hookie - nobody.

Tuesday AM I threw my board in the car & headed up by myself. Riding was OK in the AM but my favorite runs were closed. After lunch, the opened Lift #8 & I headed over. Snowing & blowing hard. Pretty cold. Very few people on the lift. I was making a run every 12 - 13 minutes. Visibility was near zero but that was OK because the wind was making for fresh tracks every run. The wind blew snow into drifts about mid-thigh. Big gorilla turns right down the fall line. Had to push hard to get through the wind-pack. Fewer & fewer people each run. Had my Camelbak for water & a Power Bar in my pocket. My legs were starting to burn but I just couldn't stop. By 3PM there were only 1/2 dozen people riding that lift. At 3:25, I got the last chair up. Last run was still fresh tracks. I had the mountian to myself. It felt great to be alive.

Best day in a long time. I tell my non-boarding friends that snowboarding in powder is almost as good as sex except you can do it all day long. They just

roll their eyes.

You know what I'm talkin' 'bout!

I think one of my best days was in the slushies. The sun was out and melted the snow so there was about 3 inches or so of real soft stuff on top of some good firm base. I didn't mind though, because the only board I had at the time was a Rossi Xvas, which is a little much for the combination of me being new at hardboarding and being as skinny as a rail, ie 140 lbs buck naked. The sidecut is fairly large for a small hill, but the soft stuff just let me hook it right up. I had good wax for the day, I COULDN'T lose an edge and the soft had no chance for any chatter. I really layed some down that day.

My best day carving was definitaly at Aspen ridding buttermilk with Joel. My first trip to the rockies and it was just perfect, mild weather, lots of sun, lots of grooming, no one on the hills and good beer !

The other best day was Valentines' day dump at Jay peak with my students. What a great day riding pow with the kids ! We just started school yesterday and the kids at school are still talking about that day! For lots of them powder consisted of 1-2 inches... now they know what it is and they want more.

My best day was on skis so I'll refrain from posting LOL! But my best day on a snowboard was the day I laid out a frontside turn. Not linked, not even very pretty, but laid out a couple of turns most runs. And second best day was nailing a heelside carve. Had slid out a hundred times (literally!) in the previous weeks the blamo, cranking some great angles (oops, PSIA terminology, sorry!)

But you know, even at 10 below or in the rain it was all pretty damn good :)

Mine was also a pow day, similar to Oldacura's - it dumped so much that steeper runs had permanent fresh even with crowds around. 4807 shined as I blasted past everyone else on the mountain.

Very close second was a perfect wet groomed and WCR 181 under my feet. It was the first time I rode that board in good conditions and it simply outcarved anything else I tried before. Everything fell in place. I just felt like a super-hero...

Over next few days I was getting coments from fellow ski instructors and ski coaches, like: "It's certainly fun watching you on that thing", "Jeez, unbelievable to get so much performance out of a snowboard", etc.

Boris

Steven Pass

Must have been 3 feet of light. 1st to ride up on lift. Went off the backside and screamed down to the steep section. Checked out my line for trees, and never saw sky again. Never felt the bottom again. 10 to 15 foot drops on every turn and never had any sensation aside from floating.

Guy I was boarding with goggles fogged up and he went to get another pair. I asked him to pick me up a can of pop becuase I wasn't going to stop. He caught up to me an hour or so later and gave me a can of 7 up. I couldn't get the can to my mouth because of the ice on my mustache. I had to tilt my head back and pour it in. Ahhhh! Carbonation down my throat and up my nose. Didn't matter.

Did this all day till closing. I always pack a lunch and water.

Best day for me was mid-january before I moved to Breckenridge. Snowmass had gotten a few feet of snow and I was out with some friends riding hanging valley, just getting lap after lap of fresh goodness. Very few people on the hill, waist deep snow, and very, very good times.