Note to New Members ×

geekery alert

bobdea

The only game console I had were a Coleco Gemini and a Sega Master System (I still have them in storage at my father's house), and I doubt very much they run Linux. I installed Linux on a variety of computer from 386 to Pentium 3, but never on less common hardware like PS3, iPod or XBox. I tried once on a first generation Mac G3; I managed to boot the install floppy, install Debian (old version) but it would not boot afterwards.

Good luck to you. I don't even know if I should wish you good luck because I don't know if it's easy or not.

straight forward, less hassle than a windows installation actually

sony made it really easy to do, the linux distro it runs is origionally one developed for the macintosh and other powerpc machines, the PS 3 is fairly similar to a macintosh with a dual core ppc g5 in it but it has a bunch of co-processors that sony likes to call SPUs (synergistic processing units)

it is a fully functional linux PC that is fairly fast, the PS 3 is quite a piece of hardware

The PS3 has digital optical out, and HDMI, so it can certainly be used as an HTPC. Hard drive space may become an issue though, with the largest unmodified boxes have 80gb. Its drives 1080p24hz really well though. Beautiful.

is your intent to use as an htpc? i am not familiar with a ps3, what kind of audio connections does it have?

I have no intent on using it as a htpc, I am just playing with it, to tell you the truth the only reason we have cable here is because of internet access, it was a good package deal.

in time when the PS3 has a broad userbase I think that we'll see great support for a htpc function, I've not looked inside but if you could get more RAM in it and a bigger HD it would be a damn powerful home PC as well.

a gb or so of RAM and 500 GB of disk space and it would probably outperform the machine I'm typing this from which is a 2ghz core 2 duo with a gb of RAM.

The PS3 has digital optical out, and HDMI, so it can certainly be used as an HTPC. Hard drive space may become an issue though, with the largest unmodified boxes have 80gb. Its drives 1080p24hz really well though. Beautiful.

Supposedly the hard drive is super easy to swap out with any other massive drive you want. I've watched a few Blu Rays on my PS3 at 1080p and man, it really is beautiful. Blows the Xbox360's HDDVD player (1080i only through component) right out of the water.

I'm also really liking the built-in wireless thing, too - immediately hooked up to my home wireless network and got a wireless mouse+ keyboard and now I can surf the intarwebs from the living room. Though I have to say, seeing a youtube video blown up to a 50" TV is pretty craptacular. ;)

yup, the cell processor makes a fine machine to cluster running linux in big clusters AND the PS3 is about as cheap as you are going to get that configuration, hell, the bluray drive is basically free with the rest of the hardware if you buy it at wholesale price