Note to New Members ×

Memorial Day Kiteboarding

Michelle

Guest jeffrey1knee

I've been considering a kiteboarding or windsurfing lesson... not sure which yet. I spent the last 5 years surfing while living in San Diego and the first 25 years of my life behind a boat in Kentucky - mostly wakeboarding for the last 15, and now live in Minnesota where there is LOTS of wind and lakes.

Anyone have an opinion? Factor: time (I have little as a new pappa), money (same as first comment), and, of course, fun.

I don't know much about kiteboarding other than that it looks like a lot of fun. I did windsurf for a couple of years. Loved it. I showed a few people how to do it. Most of them picked up the basics in a day or two.

As I racall I paid about a 1000 for my rig brand new. I would expect you could pick up a used rig for around 800. Then as you start to advance you will need to get a harness to help hold the sail and give your arms a break. You will probably also need to get a second smaller sail for the higher wind days.

Typical wind strength where you plan to play might be a factor also. I remember that when I saw whitecaps in the water I knew I was going to have a good day! I remember reading a coment on Bomber that implied that winds could be too strong for the kites, but be great for windsrfing. Not sure about that, but if you take lessons in both, you could find out easily enough.

From what I can gather about kiteboarding equipment, it definitely takes some lessons to get you going. There's so much involved and the risks are high if you do not learn properly. Everyone I have talked to, including instructors and the pros, say the same thing. GET LESSONS. Read kitemares here, and decide for yourself.

1. lessons

2. kite

3. harness

4. wet suit

5. board.

However, once you get all of that and learn, you're done with buying things except plane tickets to exoctic places, and chasing the wind. So far, it's been one of the best things I've done in a long time.

I know nothing about windsurfing, so can't help you there.

Well, seeing that I live in Colorado where the water is almost always freezing...that's the first thing I am buying. The harness and kite will be next, after the lessons of course.

I'd love to do most of my kiting in warmer places. Anyone know a pilot that wants to whisk me away every weekend to somewhere warm so I can kite/be on the beach? Heck, I'd even take every other weekend :rolleyes:

Guest jeffrey1knee

Yeah, I definitely plan to take lessons either, or both, way(s). I actually do already own a wetsuit (although 4 years old and beat) and a couple of boards that would work for the kiteing, so I guess I'm working my way backwards on your list ;)

I've talked with a few people around here now and sounds like I should probably start with the windsurfing and move into the kite when I have a little more time on my hands. The consensus seems to be that I could be off having a blast windsurfing before even getting in the water with a kite. Of course, if I get going with the kite this summer it can take me into the winter as well... apparently the icey lakes here are the place to be???

We'll see... I'll have made a decision and probably taken a lesson by next weekend.

Sorry, no friendly pilots to recommend, but that is a good thought!

Yeah, I definitely plan to take lessons either, or both, way(s). I actually do already own a wetsuit (although 4 years old and beat) and a couple of boards that would work for the kiteing, so I guess I'm working my way backwards on your list ;)

I've talked with a few people around here now and sounds like I should probably start with the windsurfing and move into the kite when I have a little more time on my hands. The consensus seems to be that I could be off having a blast windsurfing before even getting in the water with a kite. Of course, if I get going with the kite this summer it can take me into the winter as well... apparently the icey lakes here are the place to be???

We'll see... I'll have made a decision and probably taken a lesson by next weekend.

Sorry, no friendly pilots to recommend, but that is a good thought!

Kiting is much easier and fun then windsurfing sounds like people are yanking your chain..

Kiting IS SO much easier than windsurfing, ( so I keep hearing ENDLESSLY from all the wind bums who used to windsurf ) Mostly due to the fact you don't have to buy and lug around 2 or more boards, fins, harness, wetsuits, 3 masts and extentions. booms, and 3 or 4 sails do cover all possible wind/wave conditions. And then tune your life around being able to bug out at short notice when it decides to blow hard.

Speaking of blowing hard, FUN is relative.

( My wife thinks it's fun to pick out the cat's eye boogers but who am I to judge? )

I too was once a wind surfer.... Had the best time selling 4 boards 10 sails 3 booms 4 masts, and lots of extras, just a few weeks ago at a wind swap even gave an older rig to a scout master for his troop to play with. It was fun to get rid of a trailer full of gear then drive to the beach with a almost empty trailer ( i kept one rig for friends to play with) and having all my kite gear in the car...

We had 30+mph winds all day today had a lot of "relitive fun" spinning 10s over all my old windsurfing buddies today plus their sails look so cute from 30 feet up..........

yeah, I wish I could go now. rather kite in high winds on small kites. I have a good 6 and a 9 that are way more fun to fly than the 16 in light winds. I know 10 to 15 sounds good to you but really high teens to mid 20's on a 9m kite for a beginner is actually easier. smaller kites stay in the air easier and take much less work. so the learning curve is actually nicer. I remember starting out and always hoping for 12 to 15 mph winds and having everyone tell me it's tough to learn with a big kite and me as a beginner being afraid of higher winds. But come to find out they were right. So hopefully you'll get a bit more wind than 10-15 so you can start out on 12m or smaller kites for the beginning over there.

I am keeping a close eye on WY and may road trip there for a scouting expedition. Saratoga looks like 3.5 hrs from me and that's a huge difference over Mac. If I get 4 days then Mac makes more sense.

If you go good luck, have fun

Joel

You are probably right about the winds and the kite...but it is a bit intimidating. Plus it seems that the smaller kites move a bit faster? Or is that just with the trainer kites? I guess I am hoping for something that moves a bit slower...so I can also have time to react.

There's no way I'm going this weekend especially with winds like that. A little too much for me, plus I am involved in the Breck film fest blah blah this weekend.

Lessons with the kite ranch in a few weeks. I'm so excited! I should be up and flying by summer's end, if not sooner. Got a wet suit already.

Joel, We kite at UT lake on North winds, at a beach called lincoln. We have also been riding Rush lake but the water level is only about 4-10 inches with a muddy bottom so it been a bit sketcy to go big there. Here is a link to our local sites...

http://www.utahwindriders.org/wind/HTM/local.htm

I was out on 7-9-11 waroo pros yesterday so good to throw the loop with the little kites. Most of use were boosting to the moon!! I have had 25+ great days since the start of May including 17 in a row!! The summer sucks all the wind away starting soon... So i too will be road tripping!

Joel, We kite at UT lake on North winds, at a beach called lincoln. We have also been riding Rush lake but the water level is only about 4-10 inches with a muddy bottom so it been a bit sketcy to go big there. Here is a link to our local sites...

http://www.utahwindriders.org/wind/HTM/local.htm

I was out on 7-9-11 waroo pros yesterday so good to throw the loop with the little kites. Most of use were boosting to the moon!! I have had 25+ great days since the start of May including 17 in a row!! The summer sucks all the wind away starting soon... So i too will be road tripping!