Note to New Members ×

How do I fly with my 210?

Guest Randy S.

Guest Randy S.

Anyone got a good suggestion for packing my 210 SG board? Even the sportube double ski thingy doesn't stretch that long. My Dakine Dually tops out at 200cm. My Burner used to fit, but my Donek won't make it. I need to fly to Portland this weekend and I need some way to get the board up there. Thanks for the help.

You could buy it a seat...

Seriously though, a few years ago, before I had a snowboard bag, I flew with my board by cutting up cardboard boxes and using the cardboard (and a whole lot of duck tape) to protect my board. It doesn’t look pretty but a few layers of cardboard will keep your deck pretty well protected. Appliance stores will usually give you big used boxes for free.

As an aside, (I’m obviously not recommending this) I’ve seen SEVERAL snowboards come out of the baggage claim totally naked. No bag, box, padding, nothing. They were all freestyle boards, but even still, who would do that?

The cardbox trick should work, but it won't have handles...

Or you could make yourself a bag. I did. It's not hard - you just need a sewing machine, some tough fabric (I used hemp), some cordura (or similar) for straps, and a zip.

Might cost a bit for the materials, but it would be a good investment for your board.

Atomic Team bag is huge but be careful on da wait, because da charge you pletty! Atomic SuperCross Monster 3 Pair or More Padded Wheeled Ski or Snowboard Bag holds a minimum of three pairs of skis up to 211 cm. long or six to ten snowboards (without bindings). This large skibag is fully padded.

http://www.shop-of-skiing.com/skibags.asp also look at some bags here one doulble ski bag goes up to 212cm made by Fisher I use a volkl but only need to go up to 201 works well and very stealty when going through ticket counters,,"Skis? Yep! ok then go right on through!" Big snowboard bags get hassled everytime!

Guest Randy S.

I found the answer. There's a company in MN that makes ski bags for speed skis (up to 240cm). It sounds like he's custom making the bag today and shipping it out tomorrow (pretty cool). Shipping is going to cost me on the bag, but at least my board will be protected, plus I'll be able to fit my other stuff in there too.

Glissade

Originally posted by Baka Dasai

The cardbox trick should work, but it won't have handles...

Or you could make yourself a bag. I did. It's not hard - you just need a sewing machine, some tough fabric (I used hemp), some cordura (or similar) for straps, and a zip.

Might cost a bit for the materials, but it would be a good investment for your board.

You can make handles via some creative use of duct/clear tape. For a hand strap, tape two loops around the midsection of the cardbox, then tape a handle loop around the two loops in the center and stick the sticky ends together.

Obviously, since Randy already got a bag this is a mute point and in general, it's not worth doing... but if you need a handle quick and have a roll of duct tape...

Originally posted by lonerider

You can make handles via some creative use of duct/clear tape. For a hand strap, tape two loops around the midsection of the cardbox, then tape a handle loop around the two loops in the center and stick the sticky ends together.

Obviously, since Randy already got a bag this is a mute point and in general, it's not worth doing... but if you need a handle quick and have a roll of duct tape...

ahem...that's <b>moot</b> point.

...I was almost an English major.