Note to New Members ×

Is there a doctor in the house?

Justin A.

I think I remember that there are a few doctors here, maybe one of you could help me out here a little...

I forgot what the doctor told me this morning at the hospital...my x-rays showed white spots along my respitory track, and she called them something that begins in "hy" and ends in either "plast" or "plasm" and I can't remember what it was...all I know is that she prescribed an antibiotic for what she "thinks" is a viral infection ( :smashfrea:confused: ) and that she didn't give me a cough syrup for my incredibly painful hacking...canadian healthcare-you get what you pay for :cool: . Anyway, does anybody know any terms along those lines?

just joking, it's probably haunta virus

actually, no clue, I'm no doctor

I was cracking jokes about SARS while I was at the hospital...nobody but me and my girlfriend thought they were funny though :rolleyes: .

:::cough cough::: I have SARS...I only have a 96% chance of recovery :gasp: if I don't make it...:::cough cough:::

It seems that these Canadians don't think SARS is as funny as us Americans-above is quoted from South Park.

...all I know is that she prescribed an antibiotic for what she "thinks" is a viral infection ( :smashfrea:confused: ) ?

well the antibiotic isn't going to help if its viral:smashfrea :smashfrea :smashfrea

canadian healthcare or not a Dr should know that at least???

She really didn't say much-she was a horrible doctor (horrific bedside manner at least). She poked and prodded me, took a throat culture, sent me for x-rays, didn't open the throat culture while I was in x-ray (about an hour or so), and then we pulled up the x-rays on the computer and looked at them. She said that everything appeared normal, except that my bronchial tubes and other air passages were irritated (no **** doc, that's why I'm here). I noticed a boatload of white spots running along my passages and she mentioned something about an airborne contagen that's really common in the northeastern US, and that she doesn't think I'll get cancer from them (this is the thing that starts in "hy" and ends in "plast" or "plasm")-my only thought was "if you don't think I'm going to get cancer from it, why did you mention it?"...I've decided that if I get sick again while I'm up here, I'll get sicker and sicker until I can make a trip back into the US for some of our "failing healthcare system"'s treatment. I'd rather pay through the nose and be cured(I have insurance anyway!) than get my healthcare on the cheap and stay sick...

Remember "starts with a 'hy' and ends in either 'plast' or 'plasm'"...

Thanks for the help guys.

histoplasmosis?????

fungal infection of the lungs common cause bird**** bat**** etc exposure. common in the eastern US. antifungal meds are the appropriate treatment.

dry unproductive cough is the major symptom

mesothelioma would look similiar on xray as would TB mesothelioma is the cancer caused by chronic exposure to asbestos aka asbestosis

histoplasmosis?????

fungal infection of the lungs common cause bird**** bat**** etc exposure. common in the eastern US. antifungal meds are the appropriate treatment.

dry unproductive cough is the major symptom

mesothelioma would look similiar on xray as would TB mesothelioma is the cancer caused by chronic exposure to asbestos aka asbestosis

Histoplasmosis! That's the one!

I should probally see a real doctor this weekend when I go home, ya think? Maybe they'll actually do something about it. Judging from what the interwebs have to say about it, I'd say that that's probally what it is (although I have been producing on my cough every now and again-quite a bit when I do, about 15g at a time) because I've been spending alot of time at the dog park walking around with Ullr in the woods, and there are LOTS of birds and bats that live there. Last week I also noticed some wierd inflammation on my leg-it was a big raised red circle (about 2.5" across) that was pretty sore, you think that it could have anything to do with it?

So now I'm not only taking the wrong meds for a viral infection, I'm taking the wrong meds for a fungal issue :smashfrea ? Socialized medicine....

somebodys been playing in the guano again

What is histoplasmosis? <BIG>

</BIG>

Histoplasmosis is a disease caused by the fungus Histoplasma capsulatum. Its symptoms vary greatly, but the disease primarily affect the lungs. Occasionally, other organs are affected. This form of the disease is called disseminated histoplasmosis, and it can be fatal if untreated.

Can anyone get histoplasmosis?

Yes. Positive histoplasmin skin tests occur in as many as 80% of the people living in areas where H. capsulatum is common, such as the eastern and central United States. Infants, young children, and older persons, in particular those with chronic lung disease are at increased risk for severe disease. Disseminated disease is more frequently seen in people with cancer or AIDS.

How is someone infected with H. capsulatum?

H. capsulatum grows in soil and material contaminated with bat or bird droppings. Spores become airborne when contaminated soil is disturbed. Breathing the spores causes infection. The disease is not transmitted from an infected person to someone else.

What are the symptoms of histoplasmosis? <BIG>

</BIG>

Most infected persons have no apparent ill effects. The acute respiratory disease is characterized by respiratory symptoms, a general ill feeling, fever, chest pains, and a dry or nonproductive cough. Distinct patterns may be seen on a chest x-ray. Chronic lung disease resembles tuberculosis and can worsen over months or years. The disseminated form is fatal unless treated.

When do symptoms start?

If symptoms occur, they will start within 3 to 17 days after exposure; the average is 10 days.

Is histoplasmosis treatable?

Yes. Antifungal medications are used to treat severe cases of acute histoplasmosis and all cases of chronic and disseminated disease. Mild disease usually resolves without treatment. Past infection results in partial protection against ill effects if reinfected.

Where is H. capsulatum found?

H. capsulatum is found throughout the world and is endemic in certain areas of the United States. The fungus has been found in poultry house litter, caves, areas harboring bats, and in bird roosts.

What can be done to prevent histoplasmosis?

It is not practical to test or decontaminate most sites that may be contaminated with H. capsulatum, but the following precautions can be taken to reduce a person's risk of exposure:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="2%">s.gif</TD><TD width="2%">blt.gif</TD><TD width="96%">Avoid areas that may harbor the fungus, e.g., accumulations of bird or bat droppings.</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD> </TD><TD>blt.gif</TD><TD>Before starting a job or activity having a risk for exposure to H. capsulatum, consult the NIOSH/NCID Document Histoplasmosis: Protecting Workers at Risk. This document contains information on work practices and personal protective equipment that will reduce the risk of infection. A copy can also be obtained by requesting publication no. 97-146 from

National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health

Publications Dissemination

4676 Columbia Parkway

Mail Stop C-13

Cincinnati, OH 45226-1998

1-800-356-4674

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

somebodys been playing in the guano again

Yep :biggthump . Well...Mud, dirt, and dust anyway. It all started the day that I dropped the top on my jeep, maybe this mold is growing on the streets of "clean and shiny" Canada?

Sorry If I'm pissing off any canadians out there with these last few posts, but living here as an outsider is frustrating to say the least...it's so similar and so different.

Histoplasmosis! That's the one!

I should probally see a real doctor this weekend when I go home, ya think? Maybe they'll actually do something about it. Judging from what the interwebs have to say about it, I'd say that that's probally what it is (although I have been producing on my cough every now and again-quite a bit when I do, about 15g at a time) because I've been spending alot of time at the dog park walking around with Ullr in the woods, and there are LOTS of birds and bats that live there. Last week I also noticed some wierd inflammation on my leg-it was a big raised red circle (about 2.5" across) that was pretty sore, you think that it could have anything to do with it?

So now I'm not only taking the wrong meds for a viral infection, I'm taking the wrong meds for a fungal issue :smashfrea ? Socialized medicine....

generally speaking its not a good idea to take the wrong meds. See a Doc soon and get off of them. I would recomend heavy doses of probiotics in the mean time as they are immune stimulative and antifungal to some degree. the antibiotic will have killed the good bacteria living in you as well as the bad. Garden of life primal defense is the best I have found but at the very least use acidophilus. Garden of life also has an antifungal product that works well. garden of life dot com

I'm going to see a real doctor back in the US on saturday. Drive all night friday, hit the doc on saturday, hopefully be able to do something with my friends, drive most of the day sunday. Ya know, going to school here sounded like it would be fun when I thought about it: woo hoo! getting away from the nonsensical day to day goings on in the US!!. Turns out that it's the same nonsensical goings on, just with different names and political parties :smashfrea . At least I'm getting a good education out of the deal :biggthump .

going to a "real" doctor.

there are bad doctors in the US too you know

coming from a family from that my mother's side is from VT that all of them go to canada for their treatment because of the reduced price and most of them feel that the doctors there are just as good

There ought to be a comparison study on the odds of poor treatment in both systems .My wife has two relatives in remission from cancer after having been treated in Toronto.Meanwhile our youngest ,born in Idaho at Kootenai Memorial,was sent home too weak (complicated story made as short as possible here) after birth and nearly died due to emergency level complications that were rather basic in nature.It was not treated as an emegency by either our local doc (to his credit,he did at least make us an appointment to go to the city that day)or the one in the 50 mile away "city'' in which Nathan was born. That night we were being prepared for his possible death while were demanding he be flight for lifed to Sacred heart.They finally relented as they were not capable of proper treatment .The difference was mind blowing both in competence and confidence levels and how we as the parents were treated.Nathan then spent nine days in ICU at Sacred Heart to whom we owe our deep gratitude for saving our miracle baby.Contrary to what one might think from my latest post on the subject of litigation against resorts ,we did not opt to sue for what was very clearly negligence and a lack of competence on the part of the city doc and his staff.Oh,I forgot to mention;that doc put an oxygen mask on Nathan as was turning blue,and forgot to turn on the canister for over two minutes.My wife noticed it was not turned on.

This little story can be interpreted in different ways;A;yes,we have choices in the US;B;That only helps if one knows and has access to what the choices are.

I have received both good and horrible care here in different states,(broken bones in four of them).I suspect that the odds are similar in both countries and that you had better be able to afford it if you expect to have choices here.People who can afford it tend to have very different views from those who can't.Hence the reason many travel from the states to far away countries for otherwise unaffordable treatment.

here in the Flathead I encourage my patients who are expecting to go to whitefish to have the baby simply because the "state of the ART" hospital in kalispell has the opinion that the baby is theirs until it leaves the premises. Whitefish is a plaintree hospital with a strong patient rights philosophy and is very agreeable to alternative treatment options. I have had two experiences with kalispell and heart patients where they find nothing wrong and continue to order more and more increasingly expensive tests simply because they are confused and can't admit being wrong in the first place. One patient in particular has finally got to the point where he refused further invasive testing.

In my opinion he had a reaction to Celebrex. It has been under an intense amount of controversy and the hospital still has not even considered that as a possible cause. Anyone with a list of his meds and the internet could have dx'd it with out the implant the ultrasound the angiogram the camera up the rear or the little startrek camera pill. but hey that's what insurance is for right??:angryfire

there are bad doctors in the US too you know

coming from a family from that my mother's side is from VT that all of them go to canada for their treatment because of the reduced price and most of them feel that the doctors there are just as good

I know there are bad doctors here too, somebody had to graduate last in the class :eek: . The thing is, I KNOW the doctors at the clinic that I'm going to on saturday, they scheduled me an appointment and said "is Dr. Soandso alright?" You can pretty much disregard most of what I was complaining about because I was pretty out of it between the Robitussin, the Tylenol, and the antibiotics...kinda a doped-up frustration-fueled rant :lurk: . I'm sure there are good doctors here since there is a standing population of canadian citizens who go to canadian doctors...and they aren't all sick or dead, so there must be some good doctors here...although, with the kind of landmass they have here vs. the amount of landmass the US has, they should have more than 30M people ;) ...

Don't mind me, the last swig of robogoodness is kicking in now :freak3: :p :sleep: .

I was pretty out of it between the Robitussin, the Tylenol, and the antibiotics...kinda a doped-up frustration-fueled rant :lurk: .

Don't mind me, the last swig of robogoodness is kicking in now :freak3: :p :sleep: .

easy on the hard stuff now your liver and kidneys will thank you later:biggthump