Note to New Members ×

flowboard vs hammerhead

Dr D

Anybody riding these things care to comment on the ride? I would also be interested in how the ride varies from a Tierney. howz the stopping power etc.

I haven't skateboarded since I was a kid but I am jonesing for my carving fix bad enough to try it out again. I am waiting for my Tierney deck to arrive but the flow board thing sort of grabs my attention as well.

Both boards, well all the boards you listed are great hill boards, but they all really only rock on hills, If you plan on pushing and havent skated in a while I would look toward some thing with standard trucks to begin with.

The Loaded Vanguard is a sick board to get back into skating. It uses a standard trucks and works at all speeds.

The flow is fun but again since you have a terney coming perhaps a long board is a better addition to the quiver. Terneys can be a bear to learn if you haven;t been skating!!

PS i am out the door with my Boo vanguard to go kite skating now!!!

Anybody riding these things care to comment on the ride? I would also be interested in how the ride varies from a Tierney. howz the stopping power etc.

I haven't skateboarded since I was a kid but I am jonesing for my carving fix bad enough to try it out again. I am waiting for my Tierney deck to arrive but the flow board thing sort of grabs my attention as well.

I have a flowlab, and have always felt it skids much more than it carves - I've pretty much settled on a standard longboard and a dirtsurfer as my summer carving tools. Remember that if you get a flowlab, you can always turn it into a hammerhead later - you'll have the trucks, and will just have to mount one of them to a standard longboard.

And if after reading the above, you're still interested in a Flowlab, make me an offer on mine :) Pictures available by request.

Compared to the Tierney a Flowboard will also be tippy like the Tierney. The Flowboard is much slower because the wheels are smaller and because as you turn you have to overcome the inertial of spooling up another small wheel. Hammerhead is a little faster, but also need steep hills. Neither can stop very easily (they don't skid) so you will need to footbrake,

I suggest a longboard like the Loaded Vanguard (I have owned two). Or maybe a Flexboardz (looking at that myself).

how about the freebord it looks like a skidder but you would be able to stop. catching an "edge" looks like a nosebreaker.
All you do on a freebord is skid, it doesn't carve at all. If you want to be able to stop you have

T-board - turn hard with the rubber wheels and it will skid

Dirtsurfer - leg brake (very effective and intuitive, difficult to brake too hard so you won't pitch yourself off the "board")

Flexboardz - latest models come with handbrakes, haven't tried it yet.

I understand your apprehension about being able to stop. Even though I know how to coleman slide and foot brake, I still don't feel entirely comfortable going at high speeds down a road. That's why I'm looking at the Flexboardz myself (Dirtsurfer is fun... but it really is made for near-straight-lining down the fall-line).

A flowboard will allow the smallest-radius carving of any board out there. I can do controlled carves down a standard-width city sidewalk. However, they're horrible for pushing, even with nice wheels and bearings. The 14 wheels also make for a heavy setup and expensive replacement. They also get speed wobble like mad.

Fun, though, when you've got the right conditions. I've heard that the Hammerhead is a good deal faster on the flats and more stable.

Flowboards are just sketchy as hell. I wouldn't even waste your time. I've ridden one and also witnessed my bro-in-law turn his ankle into 8 shades of purple on it. I'll pass.

Skidding to stop on a T-board? Yes i've seen the video of it done on xboarding forums. No thank you!

Just get a loaded board and you'll never look back. Foot-braking and power slides with hard wheels are easy enough to learn. Plus power sliding makes you not look like such a tool (at least me anyways!).

something else about powerslides...I recently traded a set of wheels for a set of Slide gloves not because I have any desire to be the next Sergio Yuppie but as

preaches sliding is a safety issue. I wear them for safety....if I have to stops they help. No need to spend a fortune either homemade works just fine, coupled with with a bit of practice makes for much safer skating

With boards as long as the vanguard power slides -- especially standing power slides -- become yet another trick to work on and enjoy. Once you've worn down your wheels a little, that is if you're using gumballs or other, larger, higher durometer wheels, mixing in surf-style cutbacks with hard, carved turns is quite easy.

Then there's the pleasure of board-walking, the aesthetics of the board, and speaking of bamboo ... well, my board was run over by a commuter train, and other than several black spots and a little scratch the vanguard was fine. Of course, if you're going to having your board run over by trains frequently, you might want a lower flex to avoid denting

Remember that you're not going to find snowboarding on a skateboard; there's a different pleasure unique to the concrete wave.

With boards as long as the vanguard power slides -- especially standing power slides -- become yet another trick to work on and enjoy. Once you've worn down your wheels a little, that is if you're using gumballs or other, larger, higher durometer wheels, mixing in surf-style cutbacks with hard, carved turns is quite easy.

Then there's the pleasure of board-walking, the aesthetics of the board, and speaking of bamboo ... well, my board was run over by a commuter train, and other than several black spots and a little scratch the vanguard was fine. Of course, if you're going to having your board run over by trains frequently, you might want a lower flex to avoid denting

Remember that you're not going to find snowboarding on a skateboard; there's a different pleasure unique to the concrete wave.

Really a train!!! Thats crazy... we have lost a few vanguards to cars they were no match what so ever. I am amazed..... a train WOW! The nice thing about long boards is you can always make a SL board out of the left overs.. We made a Tight SL shape from a vanguard and my friend had roe copy the shape, he then went on to win worlds on our shape. All because a car ran it over and we loved it to much to give up....But again a train WOW!!!

Must be all the humidity in the Japanese air that makes the boards so strong...

I had a sector 9 get hit by a truck, spin maybe 5 meters into the air, then get run over by a minivan... other than the broken nose, the board was alright.

Hooray.

As ironic as it may sound, I have a harder time believing that a vanguard would succomb to a car... really?

As ironic as it may sound, I have a harder time believing that a vanguard would succomb to a car... really?

I unfortanly have the busted board (now SL shape) and bent truck still..

must just depends where it gets run over. The last Vanquard that went down, the rider told me he was very positive the car ran the board over on purpose. :mad: We do have some, ok make that a ton of red necks in UT and no where near the humidity of Japan.. :D

Flexboardz - latest models come with handbrakes, haven't tried it yet.
I got my Flexboardz last spring and really like it, it is joy to ride it, i can really recommned that.

Now i'm waiting upgrade to it with brakes for emergency cases and mast base so i can use my windsurf rig with that. Gonna be nice summer :ices_ange

:biggthump

I got my Flexboardz last spring and really like it, it is joy to ride it, i can really recommned that.

Now i'm waiting upgrade to it with brakes for emergency cases and mast base so i can use my windsurf rig with that. Gonna be nice summer :ices_ange

Buy a 2-3 meter trainer kite, lose the Pole. Kite skateboarding is a great way to learn to kite!!!

I used to ski and I used to windsurf..... Ok I still do both once in a while, both fun but neither a fun as snowboarding or kiting..

Just my 2cents, you should be able to get a good 2 line trainer kite for cheap! :biggthump