Note to New Members ×

First Time Hi Speed Carve

rschneid

Ok I am a believer. On day 4 of my 7 day trip to Steamboat, I got exactly the right conditions on Tomohawk (very easy blue run) and was carving the place up. But even more fun I was going a zillion miles an hour. I was passing (with plenty of space to spare) other skiers/boarders like they were standing still. This was a totally new and wildly fun experience. Grin would not leave my face (fortunately no bugs or they would still be stuck in my teeth) .

I don't like the idea of falling and would normally control the throttle to minimize the damage on crashing, but the control that is built into carving has let me way increase the throttle. Woo Hoo. Now my carving technique probably sucks and I am not down that low butttt it was the funnest boarding ( including skiing) that I have ever done. Period . go 178 Prior Metal WCR!! Its only sad that I did not get to this point until the very tail end of the season.

I am not all sure what would happen if the slope were full of poeple all moving at that speed. I think it might be just a wee bit spooky.

But even more fun I was going a zillion miles an hour.

Speed is great fun!!!! But remember that if you perfect your technique you 'll be able to go fast and be in control. And the best way to work on the technique is to make long, wide turns that will give you time to think and experiment with the body position.

It was on the long arcing turns that I was getting my greatest speed. Something really cool about arcing across the slope at hi -speed. Coolth factor raised several notches by crossing just in front of my teenage dauger, who is normally totally un-impressed by anything I do (give her allowance, pay for college, etc...) but on this occasion I could hear yelling 'way to go dad!'

Wierdly my non-teen daugher just looked at me and said, "you're not low enough dad!" she has seen way to many carving movie clips.

One of my favorite things to read about here is when people first experience the real exhileration of carving.As an instructor these accounts bring to mind many memories of seeing that in person.Great stuff!

I agree I made my first convert this season and to see the light go on and to watch as person go from a slider to to a trench digger is just awesome

Hey D, who else would you think would sit around with their dad and watch caving vids other than their 3-11 year old.

My 4 year old loves to watch them

Rschneid...

On the brighter side, the day after everything clicked in my riding, I was complemented by an older couple. It made my day.

Keep it up and the compliments will pour in.

PS to the rest of BOL, this is a late night drunk post in jest. I have nothing constructive to say so I thought I would rib D-sub etc.