Note to New Members ×

japan

Guest boardbaka

Guest boardbaka

Anyone been - planning to come to the land of the rising sun for some smooth kanji like turns nxt season - There are some great resorts here-cheap too given current fx rates!:biggthump Give us a shout anyone who is interested. I'm in the capital! rgds. boardbaka.

I wouldn't exactly call it a scene, more like an excepted method of slope decent. At the right mountains you will see more carvers on the slope in Japan than anywhere else that doesn't have a major session on progress. I spent my best days at Gala Yazawa and Isshiuchi in Niigata (north of Nagano); they have very good grooming. Carving with lots of people including a couple in their 60-70's who dragged me around to all the fresh cord. I was very unimpressed with Nagano....it reminded me too much of Bigbear and not in a good way.

Don't know that it's as widely-read as BOL, but I've skimmed this site before: http://www.carvingmachine.com/main01.htm

I've posted on the bulletin board there too, but never gotten a response - seems like they're a little shy of strangers maybe.

Probably because you are a caijin to them. Interesting site though. What kind of decks do they ride and where are they getting them from? Thanks for the info guys

you forgot Ogasaka who in addition to Head makes most of the home grown japanese alpine boards (regardless of the brand) SHR bindings (their stepins are Fast like) they have a local boot too but it's like $800. I would say about 60-70% of the boards I saw were of local manufacture with the remainder being R17 and F2. The bulk of the binders I saw were F2 with Snopros being the next most common. Boots 80-20 Deeluxe/Head

The first time I saw any snowboards or snowboarders was at Rusutsu in Hokkaido Japan back in the 81-82 winter. I was working at the resort when Jake Burton and some other American guy showed up on a promotional tour. I had no idea of how important a part Jake was to play in the growth of snowboarding but what I do remember is that he was a friendly and approachable guy and that he and his buddy loaded up their jacket pockets with a few cans of beer before heading up the hill. Anyway it was that chance meeting that got me started on snowsurfing and a week later I was the proud owner of a Burton Backhill.

But that was a long time ago.

Most boarders in Japan use soft-boots but as Gecko and others have said at least in Japan you can find carving boards fairly easily and you do see Japanese hard-booters (but not at all resorts).

As for attempting to post on the Carving Machine site's BBS you need to consider that that site is the site of a tightly connected 'club' of carvers, and Japanese people distinguish very clearly between people they know and people they don't know, so if someone they don't know posts it is unlikely to be acknowledged.

you forgot Ogasaka who in addition to Head makes most of the home grown japanese alpine boards (regardless of the brand) SHR bindings (their stepins are Fast like) they have a local boot too but it's like $800. I would say about 60-70% of the boards I saw were of local manufacture with the remainder being R17 and F2. The bulk of the binders I saw were F2 with Snopros being the next most common. Boots 80-20 Deeluxe/Head

Well, Sorbet is made by Mervin MFG. I've installed a couple of edges for 'em at Seattle factory couple of years ago. Not sure if it's still made at Mervin MFG. I take it youre back from Japan, aren't you? Many thanks for the Nihongo 'zines. Got any more of 'em ?