Note to New Members ×

About The Donek!

Vandalrob08

Alright, well as I was trying to post on the (I snapped My Donek) a moment ago (It was closed)! So here is what I wanted to say. I did not intend to disregard or cross off any snowboard company from anybody's list. I wanted input on a claim thats all! I was going to delete the post but then it was closed to edit. Also, I would like to add that Sean is a reputable builder, he has tons of experience, a great product and superior quality. I was unlucky to have my board break...Story Over. Donek is still a great company. Were I come from (West Coast Northern California) the board to ride is Donek. In our state championships this last month the top five boys and top five girls were all on Doneks. I know some kids who have owned two Doneks (One GS, One SL) for 3 or four years and ridden the crap out of them and they still perform wonderfully. I was unlucky and thats that.

Sad the post was "locked" -- even tho some of the posts were dumb and pointless but that should be no reason to stop conversation about the nominal subject to which this forum subscribes, Damn it wasn't like were talking about guncontrol or religion. But maybe it was religion some just weren't worshipping the correct god!

Yeah, poor form on locking the other thread. It didn't seems that out of line. You had a board break that was less than a season old, you felt it should have been covered by the manufacture, but no help was offered. Others have had similar things happen, they voiced thier opinions.

Boards that are designed to be full on race boards have limited life in them. It's hard to say how long that life is, and without knowing the full history or even seeing it, I can't even begin to say if your feelings are validated or not. I do know that one of our athletes got the raw end of a "defect" issue earlier this year (I won't list the manufacture, but it was not Donek). Another athlete who had a Donek SL board broke it, he hit the nose on the base of a stubby and it delamed and pulled the edge. He wanted to send it back to Donek to see if he can get it replaced, I told him not to waste Sean's time because it was NOT a defect, you hit a solid object at a high rate of speed of course the board was going to break.

On a side note, if you plan on racing be prepared to break equipment often. It is not uncommon to have an equipment failure of some sort at least once a month (sucks, but true). If it is due to faulty product (many times it is) send it back. If it broke because you modified it to perform better or landed back seat in a SBX, please don't waste the manufactures time and money, take responsibility for it and buy a new product. Send back items you break in "hopes" that the manufacture will help you out hurts the sport for all of us. Please don't think I'm saying this is the case here, I'm just offering advice.

Boards that are designed to be full on race boards have limited life in them.

I admittedly know almost nothing about snowboard design/construction...can you explain this? Why would a race specific board be different? Do they tend to be less durable? High performance then poof?

just curious. Not even gonna go anywhere near the basis for this topic.

Are you guys controling what now is what is bieng said..censor..? Now i can't say I snapped one in the toilet?!!!! :biggthump

Just kidding... Jack is your email broke...

talk to me on ethic mfg......hum hum...you know...

Let me know whats up? with your 1 to 2 years..... remember who got that fer ya!!

will make it right... not that I got any more muscle..or in my case Fat pull!! :(

I will not buy this tobacconist, it is scratched!

My bathtub is full of eels!

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me? I am no longer infected.

Drop your panties, Sir William; I cannot wait 'til lunchtime!

My nipples explode with delight!

D-Sub. A board made for racing tends to be more delicate than one made for everyday riding. A board made for the "long run"tends to be slightly overbuilt. This usually leads to less dampending due to extra glass, and the boards starts out stiffer, boards get softer the more you ride them. You don't want to spend time "breaking in" a new race board, so the newer race boards ride sick out of the box, but break down faster and need to be replaced sooner even if they don't "break" they loose thier snap sooner.

When I was a Winterstick snowboard rep in the 90's, warranty calls were one of the most challenging aspects of the job.

Winterstick designed and built good product, and commanded a corresponding price at the retail level. But when you market your company as a high end, big mountain, soul brand, then bros are gonna wail on your gear.

I would routinely go through 4-6 warranty claims per month in my territory, with half of them being denied due to obvious impact damage. What does that look like? Well, if your edge and sidewall delamination was accompanied by rock debris, base rock gouges and debris, then sorry bro, but no dice.

Sidewall delams from binding torque, inserts ripping out, etc, were usually warrantied without hassle, at worst I would get them a bro-deal on a replacement board.

The point I want to make is this: if you paid top dollar for your board, then in my opinion, the company should honor that pruchase and stand 110% BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT.

That's one of the reasons I buy stuff from Patagonia, Arcteryx, and local guys like Prior and Donek. If there's ever any after market issues (and there usually are), I want to have a personal relationship with the person who makes my stuff, so that they can relate to my situation and work something out to our mutual benefit.

I have used exercised warranties from manufacturers before, the ones who take care of me continue to have my business and respect.

amen to whoever said "many drunks or people with too much time on their hands" in the previous closed thread. some interesting posts, but a lot of useless posts from the usual suspects. some of the post whores here GET A LIFE please!!!

i have a donek and i love it. i even have a PHAT Donek sticker on the back of my windshield. Will the rear windsheild crack now? :eek: oh no it's "The Donek Curse" hahaha. jk, but i was rear ended several weeks ago.

even though my "rider stat" sheet was put on upside down (Sean discounted $20), my custom graphics came out amazing and I enjoyed helping design them. of course the board holds a great edge.

I did manage to chip the nose the first week out as I t-boned some kid (my specialty), but it was repaired nicely by my local tech

i'm not a racer but Sean obviously is a major player in alpine and does good things (loaner demos to SnowPo, sponsorships, ability to customize, edge hold).

best of luck with your problems, Robbie. i still have the little speed i bought off of you woo hoo

D-Sub. A board made for racing tends to be more delicate than one made for everyday riding. A board made for the "long run"tends to be slightly overbuilt. This usually leads to less dampending due to extra glass, and the boards starts out stiffer, boards get softer the more you ride them. You don't want to spend time "breaking in" a new race board, so the newer race boards ride sick out of the box, but break down faster and need to be replaced sooner even if they don't "break" they loose thier snap sooner.

I had no idea....seems a race board should be more durable, but "durable" can lead to less responsive then, eh?

interesting. but then...why do people brag about the stiffness of their "race stock" boards (as if somehow a stiffer board means a more manly rider automatically?)

Ive never ridden a real race board...

thanks for the answer though!

I guess that there is one thing I Know for sure. I have learned a valuable lesson through breaking my first board (Understanding I Quite possibly was the reason it broke). Racing is expensive...Alpine snowboarding is expensive. In order to excel in this sport you need to be training everyday (On Or Off The Snow) and riding Top Notch equipment. I am serious about racing (Doesnt mean i'm good) and also doesnt mean I (My Parents) have the money to break boards every two months and definitely doesnt mean I will ever be a top rider. I love racing (On Doneks or any board for that matter) and will continue to enjoy it Know Matter what.

...they say the best racing engine is the one that grenades as you cross the finish line.

"THEY" are full of crap! The best racing engine is the one that takes you back to the pits and allows you to inspect and/or rebuild/replace it in time for the next race.

Unfortunately a grenade under your feet doesn't feel so good!

I had no idea....seems a race board should be more durable, but "durable" can lead to less responsive then, eh?

Not true. Metal boards have changed alpine riding. But when you ride 1 or 2 boards alot in bumpy rutted action at speed your gear is more prone to falure then riding 4 boards on weekends on smooth groomers. Also it turns out once you "dent" a metal board with a binding edge the metal loses shear strength and the board strength is changed.

interesting. but then...why do people brag about the stiffness of their "race stock" boards (as if somehow a stiffer board means a more manly rider automatically?)

Because they are uneducated. Stiff board soft snow, Soft board stiff snow,

Ruts change everything

Ive never ridden a real race board...

Every one should It would force builders to step it up.......

What builders do with warrenty is up to them. I just wish every manufactor made a board that rides like a Kessler then the level of riding would increase nation wide.

Priors Metal boards are the action right now. Coilers are sweet but hard to get You can order a metal right now from Prior. Plus they have tails..

thanks for the answer though!

Also its inportant to understand there will be other plate systems out their next year. The current plate is heavy but works. On a race coarse if the guy next to you has the plate you need the plate also. It is that much of a differance. Everyone has ideas as to why but agrees its faster.

The plate weighs alot and if some one thinks they freeride at a level that the plate is needed more power to them. Right now its really only a race product. When I free ride I like to drift and pop in spots. A board with a plate is alot in the air and or park. Plus It really hurts my knee on chairs with out a foot rest. But it works very well and really dampens and allows free flex.

D-Sub, race boards have actually gotten much softer in the past four or so years. The guys bragging about thier "stiff, race stock boards" are living in the 90's.

hey, man...the 90s were cool! the 00s kinda suck. guess not for boards though.

well...if I ever make it to PC, y'all can show me what a real board feels like :)

seriously don't think "weekend warriors" like myself need race tech.