Note to New Members ×

Madd 158

Mike T

Madd 158, camouflage topsheet. Edges are excellent, base is good, $350 OBO shipped anywhere in the lower 48 states, extra to AK/HI/Canada/elsewhere.

It's this board:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=12226

It's just not getting much use on the left coast and I need to sell it to fund an acquisition of the metallic variety.

Mike is a great guy and he takes exceptional care of his equipment. I just lent Mike a couple of my boards and he totally hot waxed one of them and repaired the ptex and touched up the rails on the other one. This was just so HE could ride them. :biggthump

Topsheet:

4box6qp.jpg

Base (smudges are fingerprints on the wax job):

44q4gew.jpg

14 mm of camber:

43zxqig.jpg

There is some pitting in the base, here is a pic:

4fypitz.jpg

I would be happy to fill these with p-tex, the only reason I haven't done so alreday is that they don't seem to affect the ride. I do have practice with p-texing and feel comfortable working on other people's gear (like Buell's aforementioned deck, which is a very nice deck :biggthump )

Bindings not included, but I can cut a good deal on a used TD2 2nd board kit if desired.

The flex is soft to medium. IMHO it's a bit soft for me at 190 pounds. I bought it used, pretty much all the info I have on it is in the link in my 1st post. The only base issues are what is shown in the pic, about 4" or so along the tail. This condition existed when I got the board. The pitting doesn't seem to affect the ride and would be easily repaired by a shop tune, or I could do it myself before shipping. Note that without a grind, the repair would be visible to the eye although it should feel smooth or very close.

I would package a TD2 2nd board kit with it for an addition $35 for a total of $385... that's

purple rings

0/0 or 0/3 disks

4-hole disks

8 disk-to-board screws

1 leash

Sorry, I don't have a full set of TD2's to sell.

thaks for the get back.

i have a RT 163 SL vokel-which for an all round boad out east is serving me well.

i am about 200 and i am leaning to a stiff to med flex (i hope the stiff isn't more than i asked for) but going to med to soft i would guess not a lot of bang compared to my RT (I could be wrong) so unless i hear something to change my thinking i have to pass for now.

thanks again for the get back..

what is the waist width on this board? thanks.

The current 158 specs are say 17.8. I'm pretty sure mine is the same. If it's different, it's not by more than a mm or two. I use the same angles as I do on my 18 cm waisted Donek FC 175 - 60/60 with size 25 boots.

I am a beginner, and this board seems pretty good for me specs wise, but on the Carver's Almanac, it says the Madd 158 "requires an advanced weight-forward technique and is not suitable for beginners". Does anyone have any insight about this, or what would be a better board for a beginner? thanks.

Looks like a pretty dang good job to me. I'm gonna have to get some ptexing equipment.

You can do it without any equipment at all. I have a ptex gun but only use it for repairs that are deep (not like this one) or cover more than a teeny bit of area (like this one).

The advantage of the gun in my mind is that it uses a different ptex which melts at a lower temp and there is less possibility of damaging the surrounding base material and the core itself. (If I am wrong, someone correct me!)

You can do it without any equipment at all. I have a ptex gun but only use it for repairs that are deep (not like this one) or cover more than a teeny bit of area (like this one).

The advantage of the gun in my mind is that it uses a different ptex which melts at a lower temp and there is less possibility of damaging the surrounding base material and the core itself. (If I am wrong, someone correct me!)

Yup. your right.

Many time the p-tex from the gun may include some glue to also help stick to core shots. It also has a different durometer.

I am a beginner, and this board seems pretty good for me specs wise, but on the Carver's Almanac, it says the Madd 158 "requires an advanced weight-forward technique and is not suitable for beginners". Does anyone have any insight about this, or what would be a better board for a beginner? thanks.

This is not a beginner board. do some searches in the main forum or just ask over there. (just don't want to derail mike's for sale thread)