Note to New Members ×

Pavement Carving, MN

Guest jeffrey1knee

Guest jeffrey1knee

Vict-m parkway sounds fun.. maybe I'll try and head up that way next week or weekend sometime. Well, I dunno, maybe not. I just looked up where Robbinsdale is... that will take me an hour from apple valley. And, like you said, you can find fun places just about anywhere.

Here's what I'll drive an hour for - somebody let me know where this spot is:

1. smooth pavement for miles

2. downhill for miles

3. traffic free for miles

4. ends at a lake with a party going on and multiple offers of a beer, a brat, and ride back to my car after I take a swim.

:lol:

Come on, somebody knows where this is.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jeffrey1knee

yes, super cool. All of the beach and boardwalk shots are right where I used to live (PB and Mission Beach). I used to always see the same kid riding those everyday when I would skate on the boardwalk. I wonder if he is the inventor? It was always impressive to see him go at it. I was curious to try, but I've sworn off any likely options to wreck my knee again - rollerblades, snow skis, and now Freelines! They look fun and challenging though.

Guest jeffrey1knee
looks like it would be easy to break a leg!
Probably not breaking, but twisting-wrenching-popping is what I would be afraid of.

Anyway, those things are awesome - or atleast those guys riding them are. The guy I used to see all the time would do alot of disco style old school rollerskating spinning and whatnot mixed with some aggresive scissors pumping like you see some do in the video... he had some style.

Anyone interested in having a gtg in the next couple weekends?

Grilling? Longboarding? Beer-ing?

-Tim

possibly. i'm not big on the downhill thing. my trucks are really loose for pumping.

hey! any buck hill crew buy longboards yet?

i'm contemplating on buying those freeliner skate things. thanks for the link karl.

Guest lotatimmy

I think it would be fun to go to the hyland park trails (some downhill, but a lot of flat) for a gtg. There is a park with grills, and a beach. I think it would be fun to get a bunch of longboarders together to represent!

By the way, the U is AWESOME longboard territory, until you get busted by the cops and almost get a ticket/board confiscated! BS, I tell ya. The cop said that we were ignorant for not knowing that it was a percieved rule that skateboarding of ANY kind was not allowed there. There are no signs, and near as I can tell there are no rules on umn.edu site. When confronted the police officer stated that we should look "downtown" for no skateboarding signs (are you serious, that's like 3 miles away, how would that have any relevence whatsoever!). It was complete BS as well, because we weren't doing anything but riding on the bike notated path on top of the bridge that goes between east and west bank at about 10 pm! I mean I could understand if we were grinding on shiz, or running into people. But, come on!

any input?

Guest lotatimmy

Edit:

found it

PROHIBITIONS

Section 1. Skateboarding. No person shall ride or operate a skateboard upon properties owned, leased or occupied by the University of Minnesota, including but not limited to buildings, mall and plaza areas, sidewalks, streets, alleys and parking facilities where applicable.

Section 2. Roller Skating. No person shall ride or operate roller skates upon properties owned, leased or occupied by the University of Minnesota, except in a prudent and careful manner, with reasonable regard for the safety of the operator and other persons.

ARTICLE IV.

VIOLATIONS

Section 1. Penalties. Any person found violating any of the provisions of this ordinance upon conviction shall be guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

Section 2. Impoundment. Any police officer who observes a person violating this Oordinance is authorized to seize the person's skateboard or roller skates and impound them at the University of Minnesota Police Department for twenty-four (24) hours.

it was amazing while it lasted!

i'm contemplating on buying those freeliner skate things.

Very cool! Let me know when you get them - I'll help you break 'em in!

A GTG sounds fun. Will like to join you guys... if I can borrow a

board to ride and find a surplus of any free time.

Re: In-line a the U: Oops! - Guilty..

Edit:

found it

it was amazing while it lasted!

i'm dating myself here... when i was a kid my first skateboard was a california freeformer. it was a yellow skateboard. all the kids on the block got one. i used to live in bloomington about a block from olson junior high. not sure what year but one summer we were skateboarding around the school when one of us discovered a door was open near the pool. we snuck inside the buidling and started skateboarding on the smooth tiled floor -- like glass. it was great. i think we were there for about 20 minutes. it was all fine and great until i heard someone yell something. then i saw the janitor emerge from the end of the hallway. he was at the end of the hallway between me and the door. he started :angryfire Y E L L I N G :angryfire at me. so i walked towards him to leave out the door. i was scared. i thought he was going to take my board. all the other kids had ran out before me so i was the last one out. everyone ran home. i remember looking down as i walked out trying to avoid eye contact with the janitor. the floor was totally scuffed with wheel marks. it was fun while it lasted.

Guest lotatimmy

I went to middle school at olson ;-), I always wondered what those scuff's were from ;-). I was probably there in '93-'95... back when Snoopdogg was awesome, and that guy doing those family movies, was actually a gangsta rapper!

God, I'm getting old :-(.

-Tim

I went to middle school at olson ;-), I always wondered what those scuff's were from ;-). I was probably there in '93-'95... back when Snoopdogg was awesome, and that guy doing those family movies, was actually a gangsta rapper!

God, I'm getting old :-(.

-Tim

you think your getting old? my boss used to think i was in my mid 20's. i still got hair, hardly any gray and they all know my proclivities about boarding. hard to miss my SES/Aspen picture on my desktop and the occasional knee or hip injury. seriously, i had to pull out my drivers license to convince him i was 42 (gulp)! :( its not that i look young its just that my brain is suffering from arrested development (any fans?).

i also went to olson elementary till 5th grade. ended up at nativity. downhill from there. grade school was listening to KISS Destroyer and Van Halen on the bus to catholic school. in high school it started out as Cheap Trick, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest but then i somehow got hooked on Devo, Gary Newman and everything electronic. right now i'm listening to Nine Inch Nails.

i turned out fine.

Guest jeffrey1knee
I think it would be fun to go to the hyland park trails (some downhill, but a lot of flat) for a gtg. There is a park with grills, and a beach. I think it would be fun to get a bunch of longboarders together to represent!

By the way, the U is AWESOME longboard territory, until you get busted by the cops .....

any input?

rite of passage - you're a 'skater' now timmy! That brings me back... I grew up in the heyday of the late 80's skate re-revolution - - everything had skulls on it, skate shoes were made with ollie pads, Steadham mini, Roskopp, and McGill's were the boards to have, we played JFA and Suicidal Tendencies on our 'jambox' at a skate spot - and the cops ALWAYS busted us for skating anywhere - otherwise we may not have known when to stop skating;) My crowd got busted, kicked out, boards taken, ticketed, parents called to pick up, etc. so many times. It was almost a joke after the first bunch of times - Pretty much everyone had a back up board so that when one was confiscated you still had something to shred. We went from trying to avoid getting busted to skating the most likely places to get busted just for the rush of running from the cops. The best was when they paved the main strip through our town and we bombed, and got busted frequently, every weeknight after 1am or so after the traffic died down - fresh pave, fully lit, downhill for a mile - wish I could go back in time with my Loaded!

AND NOW my hometown has this park where the city is encouraging skating - no pads not required, it's free, lights, open 24-7.. those kids are really missing out - they'll never get busted there. :sleep: That park is sooo badass btw.

As for a gtg, I'm traveling home next week for some wakeboarding (and maybe a sk8 park visit=) But I'd be down in a couple of weeks. You know I'm always up for Hyland. AND, my father in law is on the park patrol there so I'll put in a good word so we don't get busted and our boards taken. Besides, we're all too old too run from cops now, right?

Guest jeffrey1knee

I'm not crazy, you're the one that's crazy... god, I loved ST, and still break them out on occasion... in fact, I had to have a listen last night while reminiscing. so funny and mean at the same time. so fast and clean when they wanted to be.

I haven't checked out Edina Y yet, but have been pondering since I arrived. I may sometime. I still don't like to pay to skate or be required to wear pads for that matter, which is what has kept me away so far. Although it is probably in MY BEST INTEREST. :angryfire

spent most of this morning in my garage trying to figure out how to ride the freeline skates. i thought that riding a tierney would've given me an edge. not so.

the skates came with a dvd. it seems simple enough but getting myself to do it is another matter.

basically you start out moving your feet from / \ to \ /. i started out by raisng my garage door halfway and using it for something to hold onto. it seems like the rear foot acts as a rudder like on a sailboat. it kinda throws me off because when the rear foots swings wide i try to counter that movement and bring it in. by that time i'm going to slow and i step off. my problem is i don't have enough momentum just yet to get the feel of it. i'm a little nervous about taking it out on the streets just yet.

its hard to push off and just skate away. i'm having to push off something. i think i might've slightly pulled a muscle near the naughty bits. its a slight struggle trying to keep the feet close together.

thought i'd share.

happy 4th!

bob

i've been trying those freeline skates. its really hard to get going. i can't get going unless there's a slight grade. its using a completely different set of muscles... its like using a suzanne somers thigh master. i'm trying to keep my feet somewhat close together, doing some turns, etc. when i reach the end of the road my inner thighs are almost to the point of muscle failure.

Guest jeffrey1knee

sounds like a lot of work... keep at it and I'm sure you'll be ripping in no time and looking back on your first rides and laughing - just like the first skate, snowboard, etc.

no pain no gain, right?

For me, I've fallen back on an old favorite and have been riding my wakeboard and wakeskate lately. I haven't ridden in years but found a ride here and also made a trip last week to KY where I grew up behind a boat. So fun, but so sore.

sounds like a lot of work... keep at it and I'm sure you'll be ripping in no time and looking back on your first rides and laughing - just like the first skate, snowboard, etc.

no pain no gain, right?

For me, I've fallen back on an old favorite and have been riding my wakeboard and wakeskate lately. I haven't ridden in years but found a ride here and also made a trip last week to KY where I grew up behind a boat. So fun, but so sore.

its really hard to get the movement right. i'm fine on a moderate grade like that Hosanna church parking lot. not quite sure how to pump the skates. its a hard workout on the inner thighs. i started to feel a slight something under the patella of my rear knee so i gave up for the night. i think i'm forcing it my rear leg to much. i went to some freeline forum and everyone goes through this.

what lake are you wakeboarding on?