Note to New Members ×

Pavement Carving, MN

Guest jeffrey1knee

Guest jeffrey1knee

Winter seems to be over... but carving doesn't have to be. In preparation for next season I'll be carving plenty of pavement this spring, summer, and fall. Anybody else?

I'm new to the area (live in Apple Valley) so I don't really know where the good spots might be. So far I have found a couple of fair runs but could use some help. At the very least, I hope this thread will result in someone letting me in on a good spot to try... with any luck this thread will get some of us together for some pavement carving and a 'carlift' to the top as I'm sure we are all tired of running or walking back to the top.

All I know since moving here last August...

3/24/07

Spot: Apple Valley - Harwell Ave. starting from 160th st W down to 157th

Scoop: 4/10 mile. The first 1/10 gets you going for the last 3/10 of mellow

Pavement: Very smooth, a little debris in few areas

Traffic: Moderate for a residential street, but easy to spot them

Other: 5 hard pumping runs and I was happy and tired, running is not my thing. I'll go there again.

12/06 - 3/07 - BUCK and AFTON

8/06 - 12/06

Spot: Prior Lake - side street in The Wilds kind of behind the club house - street name? - it's my in-laws neighborhood, i'll check next time we visit.

Scoop: 3/10 to a half mile?, haven't measured. gets you going, then flat, then pretty steep to finish with no rollout - you need to know how to stop

Pavement: usually butter, I think the residents sweep it daily.

Traffic: it's a dead end street, so nobody except residents

Other: watch out for the golf cart's at the crossing

Other than those two, there's a quarter mile slow-roll with nice pavement behind my house (off 138th st w) that has been my most frequent quick fix spot.

- jeff

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i kick my board around my neighborhood. i have a dragon fly from insectskateboards.com. sometimes i'll head to lake calhoun in mpls. i pump more than i go downhill. never figured out power slides and bombing scares the hell out of me. the street near my house has a nice pitch to it but it has traffic. occasionally i'll go down it.

there's a mega church over on 160th that has a huge parking lot and has a mellow pitch to it. i forget the name. if you head down cedar and go west on 160th you can't miss it. i think the cross street is Ipava. its just south of crystal lake. i see roller bladers there occasionally.

another church, berean baptist on county road 42 in burnsville, is a short lot but has a decent pitch. occasionally i would ride my tierney rides board over there.

Guest jeffrey1knee

I'm not much of a bomber or slider either, but I do enjoy a nice smooth run with some pitch to it so I can carve away. The Harwell run I mentioned is nice because the top part gives just enough of a slope to push you through the rest while hard carving then eventually pumping the last section.

Well, if you're ever interested in getting together to try some new boards or just to share a carve let me know...

I did find a longboard map for not only MN but for most anywhere in the country. I'll be hitting these MN spots throughout the summer so if anyone is interested it would be great to have some company.

Guest jeffrey1knee

If you really think I am going to hang on to a rope attached to a motorcycle being driven by a guy who rollerblades... well, maybe I'll buy that helmet after all.

As soon as it stops raining Scuff...:eek:

Winter seems to be over... but carving doesn't have to be. In preparation for next season I'll be carving plenty of pavement this spring, summer, and fall. Anybody else?

I'm new to the area (live in Apple Valley) so I don't really know where the good spots might be. So far I have found a couple of fair runs but could use some help. At the very least, I hope this thread will result in someone letting me in on a good spot to try... with any luck this thread will get some of us together for some pavement carving and a 'carlift' to the top as I'm sure we are all tired of running or walking back to the top.

All I know since moving here last August...

3/24/07

Spot: Apple Valley - Harwell Ave. starting from 160th st W down to 157th

Scoop: 4/10 mile. The first 1/10 gets you going for the last 3/10 of mellow

Pavement: Very smooth, a little debris in few areas

Traffic: Moderate for a residential street, but easy to spot them

Other: 5 hard pumping runs and I was happy and tired, running is not my thing. I'll go there again.

12/06 - 3/07 - BUCK and AFTON

8/06 - 12/06

Spot: Prior Lake - side street in The Wilds kind of behind the club house - street name? - it's my in-laws neighborhood, i'll check next time we visit.

Scoop: 3/10 to a half mile?, haven't measured. gets you going, then flat, then pretty steep to finish with no rollout - you need to know how to stop

Pavement: usually butter, I think the residents sweep it daily.

Traffic: it's a dead end street, so nobody except residents

Other: watch out for the golf cart's at the crossing

Other than those two, there's a quarter mile slow-roll with nice pavement behind my house (off 138th st w) that has been my most frequent quick fix spot.

- jeff

Hi Jeff,

I think I saw you when you were at the top of the hill at Harwell & 160th. I don't see many people on longboards, so you caught my attention as I was driving by.

Guest jeffrey1knee
its a good pumping board. might be a little bit short but i get more use out of it then my tierney rides board.

Yeah, the t-boards looks interesting but maybe somewhat limited. I considered buying one recently (although have never ridden one) but decided against it for a Loaded Vanguard...

Yeah, the t-boards looks interesting but maybe somewhat limited. I considered buying one recently (although have never ridden one) but decided against it for a Loaded Vanguard...

you made the right choice. t-boards are not somewhat limited, they are totally limited. i used to be really excited about mine, bought into the hype, now i've lost the faith. to me, rolling at the ankles with feet at near perpendicular to the board is not carving. i bought mine before they came out with the torsion spring. the one i have has these rubber rings that wear out real fast. the urethane wheels also wear down very quickly. on top of it all, the wheel hubs have a tendency to crack. you'll be crusing down the hill and you'll be hearing a ticking sound. i had one where the hub disintegrated after a run.

just check out this video. i mounted a camera to my board. you can hear the ticking sound of the cracked hub.

i thought about a loaded vanguard. is it a good pump board? what durometer wheels do you have?

and why do you have only one knee? where did the other one go?

Guest jeffrey1knee

The video is good...made me laugh. I like the last part going off road.

The Vanguard should be here tomorrow, so I don't know firsthand if it is a good pump board or not.. but that's the story I hear. I checked around for many different boards and it seemed to be the only one that I couldn't find any negativity about -other than cost. The one I got comes with 78a wheels. You'll be welcome to try it out if you like.

oh, and I only have one (good) knee from many years of wakeboarding injuries. Where did it go? Thattaway.

Guest jeffrey1knee

The Vanguard is here... it's like Christmas - opened the box and was happy, looked outside and was sad. Hopefully the precip stops soon...

Guest jeffrey1knee

i thought about a loaded vanguard. is it a good pump board?

YES! I took it out for a quick run today... with the wind at my back I pumped a 200 yard section of flat pavement and built speed the whole way. The flex in this thing is amazing. I can't wait to get out tomorrow.

YES! I took it out for a quick run today... with the wind at my back I pumped a 200 yard section of flat pavement and built speed the whole way. The flex in this thing is amazing. I can't wait to get out tomorrow.

where's this road you're on? is it harwell?

Guest lotatimmy

Hey guys, just got done with my second day longboarding! The people I've been boarding with want to have a gtg in the near future, anyone interested?

The past 2 days we've been riding at the Wooddale Church parking lot (212 and Shady Oak, in Eden Prairie - the one iwth the space needle thing). We've also been hitting up the church parking lot on the corner of 100 and 70th in edina. Both lots are clean, new-ish pavement and great for starting out. There is a path at Wooddale church that I hit on my first day, but it was a challenge.

So yea, let me know if anyone is interested in a longboarding session!

Oh yea, today I got a sector 9 "Bombhills" from zombie board shop in Burnsville!

plat5_03.jpg

Rock on!

-Tim

Guest jeffrey1knee

yep, I'm in. Let me know when and where your crowd is and I'll do my best to be there. Evenings after 5 are possible but hit or miss for me... weekends are solid.

I like the BH!

Jeff

Guest lotatimmy

Just did a nice run on the three rivers park district paths in West Bloomington, directly across from Bush Lake beach. I think we should def have a small gtg here early in the season. I'm actually planning on hitting it up early, before work tomorrow!

Here are two of the runs.

The sandy place, is bush lake beach. Before the swimming season starts, there is free parking there, once it starts you need a pass.

nice lil warm up run

bushlake.jpg

this is the run I took today (counterclockwise), some uphill. But, a lot of rewarding mellow downhill.

hyland.jpg

-Tim

Guest jeffrey1knee

yeah Timmay! Looks fun. How about meeting up mid day Saturday for a sesh?

I hit the Harwell spot yesterday for the first time on my Vanguard... This thing is such a speed demon compared to the other boards I have. I used to crave hills like this one but I'm realizing they are not so necessary anymore with the Loaded board. I see a helmet purchase in my future.

I think the trails you mentioned will be great. Is the pavement smooth?