Note to New Members ×

Slackline and Snowboarding

abakker

a few weeks ago i tried slacklining for the first time, and although i am not proficient at it yet, i can already tell that it helps my snowboarding, particularly in the low speed carves just by helping my balance.

i was just wondering if anybody else has noticed this/has tried slacklining?

Slackline

I thought I was in good shape for snowboarding but recently started a "core" workout program and realized how woefully out of shape in terms of balance, agility, elasticity, etc I actually was. I bet slacklining will really help overall with balance.

Think about it...besides actually riding, do we do anything that improves our balance? I personally think most of us have a huge potential for improvement without even knowing it.

Michael

it WILL improve your balance, but most impotantly, it will make you keenly aware of the location of each of your limbs at all times. Thats the most important benfit from my perspective, and the muscle toning and strengthening are just an added bonus. I cant begin to explain how useful I think it is.

Thats what I use it to train for, thats an old clip but it shows the arm movement used, and its very similar when on the slackline.

in my opinion, if you haven't tried it you should. its pretty inexpensive to set up a small one and you can get almost all the parts you need at a west marine or similar store. if you are setting up a low to the ground one 4' or less, hardware store suplies are good enough and almost certainly wont break (this is what all of my friends and i use). when you get into setting up highlines (anything that you harness into) you should get every type of saftey gear possible, but for cross training purposes i don't really see any reason to need anything that extreme.

all in all for a line about 20 to 30 feet and all the other stuff we needed (anchor straps etc.) we only spent about 50 to 60 dollars.

Didnt know such a thing existed until now. I was ponderingn this last summer based on the same physics and envisioned mounting a deck in the lowest area of slack. Now that I know such a thing exists, I may give it a whirl by using two line and placing adeck in the center.

Run the lines the nose and tail of the board. Not a real board, unless you have an old beater that you can drill. That way you can sway much easier than just a line. I assume one can also mount over head "steady" line to hold onto unti you get the hang of it.

Cool though

Just out of curiousity, is it necessary to get dedicated slacklining crap or is this something that you can take a rachet strap and attach it to two trees and then you can adjust it's tension however the hell you want it?

Oh, I forgot to ask why? (If it is necessary) (besides the obvious "slacklines are made for it...")

no, i don't think you need dedicated slackline stuff, a ratchet strap would work fine, however make sure your ratchet strap is rated to take the tension. i use 4000 lb webbing. also, make sure that the slackline doesn't twist.

the correct webbing is available at REI for around 30 cents a foot.

Well, we've already got loads and loads of ratchet straps of all sizes. And they're made for really cranking them down without breaking, so I'm not worried about that. Especially since I'm only 150lbs or so.

Another question...

Everybody I see slacklining is doing it in bare feet. Is that just cause they're hippies (in the nicest sense of the word) or is that because there is some actual reason for that?

if you do it in bare feet, it is a little bit safer from my own experience. we rarely fit street shoes like we do snowboard boots or climbing shoes, and as such street shoes don't offer any beneficial suport, and can in fact pivot around your foot while you are walking and cause you to sprain an ankle.

if you do it in bare feet, it is a little bit safer from my own experience. we rarely fit street shoes like we do snowboard boots or climbing shoes, and as such street shoes don't offer any beneficial suport, and can in fact pivot around your foot while you are walking and cause you to sprain an ankle.

Fair enough. Seems like it'd be kinda hard on your feet is all. Maybe I'll try it in my hiking boots some time. They fit better than my boardin boots...

Guest needanswer

seems natural to do it w/ bare feet

1) There are lots of nerves at the feet, and you can feel the line better than having to feel for it through the soles of a shoe

2) The feet's made of many muscles. by wearing shoes some of the muscles are restricted from moving. This is true when we wear snowboard boots. but if you just want to get better balance in general, then not restricting the foot would exercise all the tiny muscles.

personally, I use a 360 balance board to develope my balance.

Guest needanswer
I'm not so comfortable. Especially outside. I've got tender feet..

I was thinking of having the line a foot off the lawn, but if you're doing it at height or on concrete or sand, I could understand.

a balance board is good for simulating board specific type of balance;

I think slacklining is a lot more difficult (thus also more beneficial) b/c there's only one point of balance as you switch foot.

thread jacking a bit, we can slackline to develope balance.

what can we do to develope tougher feet? I also have tender feet.

what can we do to develope tougher feet? I also have tender feet.

what ralann said. just stop being a pansy and wearing shoes... :lol: :lol:

i have tender feet too, but i like shoes. it's funny, because the soles of my feet are actually softer than the soles of many women i know. It's probably because they wear all sorts of crazy shoes and stilettos...

anyway, back on topic, it seems like a great way to hurt myself.

Guest needanswer
what ralann said. just stop being a pansy and wearing shoes... :lol: :lol:

I should have rephrase the question to how to stop being a pansy.

I've been play basketball indoor for the last 5 yrs, and there's no way I'm going to the blacktop again. But seriously, I was thinking of some training to toughen the soles. may be jogging, jumping on sand, hiking gravel road, etc.

anyway, back on topic, it seems like a great way to hurt myself.

you could always start on a balance beam before moving onto a slackline.

Looks like another way to break bones to me! I bet I could get inverted in an instant on one!

And me, I'd be downside up before I even took a step. :)

The body is an amazing thing though. The first few times I did squats on a swiss ball I couldn't balance at all, and now it's much easier. Although I'm still not game to try it outside the squat rack ...and new Pilates moves generally have me stonkered, but given a few weeks to practice, it's amazing how fast the body learns and adapts.

Maybe when I learn to climb this summer, I'll get a chance to try this out. Thanks for the info!

I was thinking of having the line a foot off the lawn, but if you're doing it at height or on concrete or sand, I could understand

i would not mind sand or lawn, but please don't go over concrete or anything similar. i am not trying to get you guys hurt.

use it on the grass, and you wont fall far, its rally just a step off. If you set it low, you can have so the line is only about a foot from the ground when you are on it in the middle. maybe 3-4 feet at the tree.