Note to New Members ×

The good old SIMS days

Frank Morales

I'll never forget my first ride on a lift with a snowboard hanging from my foot

and I mean hanging,the board only had one rubber strap.

Tom Sims and I had just talked our way on to the mountian in a crueling meeting with the manger of the mountian. Tom was smooth cool and calm

the Clint Eastwood approach. I was nervous with excitement knowing that at

any moment we could be riding a chair lift. Before that day we were hiking the

back country with topo maps sometimes getting stuck for hours dredging through creeks in waist high powder wet and miserable. But this day was different we were going to be allowed to ride the chair lifts.

I was riding my new SKI BOARD with a Lonnie Toft deck Tom was riding one of

his first proto types made out of solid fiber glass also with a single rubber strap. Sims devoted his life to snowboarding calling resorts day after day, meeting after meeting. I saw the good times and the bad.

To this day every time I get on a lift I look down at my 197 Burner hanging from my foot and I smile thinking man we've come a long way.

Frank

Neil,

Right on ! Doneks are nice boards. I really like the new metallic top sheets. This weekend should be epic. Will be the first time in five years riding a non carving board. If the 4807 doesn't come in time I'll be riding my Coiler all mountain with the bindings set way back. It is great in powder too. I'll probably be riding at Mammoth.

Later,

Tim

Guest Randy S.

Tim,

Definitely ride the 4807 with hard boots. I have one and have tried both soft and hard. I just set my boots to walk mode in the powder and it works so much better than soft boots. Plus once you get down near the bottom and have to ride on the groomed stuff, you'll be so much happier. The board rocks so have fun with it. Just watch out not to catch the tail on a cliff if you drop one. I did and it doesn't want to stay together back there any more. Oh well.

Hi Tim

Thanks for your responce this was my first message on the site which has

been a good source for information on the art of carving. Here is a pic of the

board mentioned and next to it is one of the first Sims proto types I rode in the early days. notice the bindings. we made those in place of the rubber strap. Also notice the Head ski I mounted on the yellow ski board that was to

stiffin the nose from flexing to much, cool high tech stuff. The black team board

I took to europe to race but didn't have a chance against the euro racers who

were already making plate bindings in their garages to fit thier snowboards

and also using their ski boots to race. I'll try and make it to Mammoth this weekend and break out my new 4807 which is still in the wrapper .

Later Frank

post-264-141842196991_thumb.jpg

Frank,

Wow! Nice picture! You told me about your involvement in the early Sims days but I didn't know you still had those prototypes. Did those boards have metal edges? I once tried a friends Burton Backhill (no metal edges) at Copper mountain. Man, that was an experience.

I'd also like to see your huge quiver of Burners next to each other.

See ya,

Tim

Tim,

Pray you get that 4807 in time. What a blast that board is. I got the 178 and used it at Steamboat earlier this month. I brought a bunch of boards out with me but once I put the 4807 on I never took it off.

We called it the picnic table:D

Oh yeah I only ride in hard boots and like Randy ride with them unlocked. I actually did some nice laydown Heelsides around my friend as he was sitting on the packed/groomed stuff so you can also stick some turns if you want.

Hey Tim,

I believe I saw you heading down to Eagle Express while I was riding up chair 15. Too bad there wasn't all too much fresh around this weekend. Chair 9 was alright, but heavily tracked out. We should meet up next time you're up there.

Neil,

If it was a guy with a beige coat and chrome helmet riding a white 4807 in hardboots, it was probably me. Yeah the fresh pow was gone by Sat. Missed it by one day :( I found a little untracked tree stuff by chair 12 and 14. That 4807 is effortless in the powder. It was weird how well it carves on the groomed considering how noodley its flex feels. I was sticking turns on blue slopes expecting to slide out at any time. Never happened.

How was your new Donek? The snow was definitely packed and groomed enough.

I'm in Mammoth every weekend except this coming one (I sprained my ankle). Yes, we should meet up. It's always better riding with other carvers.

Later,

Tim

Tim,

I think I need some more practice to get used to the Donek. I'm jumping from a 164 Ultra Prime to a 179 Donek so I'm not entirely used to such a long board. It got pretty tough to manage when things got crowded. The extra edge hold is unreal though and the board is very stable at speeds I used to be scared of. I think I'll spend a day or two over at June to get used to this board.

Sorry to hear about your ankle. I hope it heals up fast. I'm usually up at least twice a month. I should be up there the next two weekends.