Note to New Members ×

A week off in april...

Guest astan100

Guest astan100

Hey guys,

I don't post here very often...I mostly read. In any case, I'm thinking of quitting my job and want to take off a week or so to snowboard.

If I did that in early to late april, and I could go to anywhere in North America, where woudl the snow still be decent?

I was in Whistler last year in early April and though they had snow, it was still a bit warm. I just saw some of those Alaska pictures and got thinking...

Any thoughts?

-Allen

Guest astan100

Thanks for the recommendations...I'll look at some average temps.

I kinda want to go somewhere weird/exotic I wouldn't normally go (i.e montana).

I know I'll make it to Jackson Hole eventually, so I might put that one off.

Is Park City actually cold enough?

Guest astan100

Man...that does look sweet.

it's only 19 miles from the obscure airport, which is cool.

The flight from New York is 550, but you can use 25k frequent miles to get there too.

Thanks for the input.

Guest astan100

Hey guys,

I like the Alaska idea also...it's GOT to be cold there, right?

I think that the airport near mammoth closes late season, which means like 8 hour drive or something. That's just rumor, so correct me if I'm wrong.

My vote is still for Montana or Alaska.

My crazy roomate wasnts to to Hapkaido (can't spell) Japan for it. I told him if he pays, I'll go.

You need to consider Mt. Bachelor, OR. Conditions in April and May are consistently good...so much so that national teams come there even in May to train. April often has winter conditions and powder.

There are a few great areas in eastern BC which is farther north but you need to check if they are open 7 days a week after March. Mt. Bachelor is open 7 days and starts running the lifts at 8am at some point in the spring.

Also, during April and May you can participate in the Oregon Bi-athalon (ride in the morning and play golf in the afternoon).

Guest astan100

Powder still eh?

AND I can play golf? Golf was what I did while I waited for snowboarding season to kick off again. Plus, my legs are too wussy for a week of straight boarding. We might have a winner...

Some of the resorts mentioned previously i.e,Jackson Hole close early to mid April. Make sure there will be something open wherever you go!

The Usual Suspects that time of year are Mt Hood, Mt Bachelor, Mammoth, Squaw, Snowbird. Of those the Oregon resorts (Bachelor and Hood) have had the most snow. We're both running about 120% normal for cumulative snowfall and a little over normal on base depth right now. Bachelor goes to a 8 - 1 schedule about the 3rd week in April usually. Mt Hood Meadows may close on weekdays mid-April but will still be open on weekends. If it's sunny out Timberline is a FABULOUS place to carve in Aprl because you get the upper mountain (Palmer) all to yourself, no teams training there.

I think that the airport near mammoth closes late season, which means like 8 hour drive or something. That's just rumor, so correct me if I'm wrong.

What do you mean the airport closes late season? Last time I checked the airport stays open all year long, weather permitting.

Guest astan100

whoops, I just went to the mammoth site. I thin kI was thinking of some other mountain that has fewer flights to the local airport late season (sorry, my bad).

if you go to MT, don't forget BIG SKY/Moonlight Basin. More terrain than you could ever possibly cover in a week or even a season probably

Yep, over 5,500 acreas combined area. 85 miles of named runs just on the Big Sky Side. We've had 90 inches of snow in February, so the 'snow draught' of December and early January is gone.

...but closing date is April 15.