Note to New Members ×

Adapting boot size

John E

I have a pair of older Raichle hardboots (not sure of the model). They are size 27.5. My feet measure 27.5 (flat foot - no insole). I have not been able to get them to fit comfortably. I don't have them with me here but when I do the finger test, I recall that I have 2+ fingers of space between my heel & the inside of the shell.

I have narrow feet (B width). I have been to 3 places in the Boulder area trying to get Thermoflex liners & they all say the shells are too large for me.

Because of my narrow foot, I often find that by the time I get boots that are snug enough, my toes are hard against the front. Larry The Bootfitter commented "wow, you have a low-volume foot".

Regarding Thermoflex or Intuition liners: does anyone have experience using an insole between the shell & liner to take up volume - before the liners are formed? Would this be a reasonable approach?

I'm presently using high-volume ski boot liners that I got from Larry. They work but not the most comfortable.

I would think that some thick soles underneath the liners would work fine. You'd still have to deal with the width of the boot though. Also the liner would have to be fairly stiff if your boots are anything like mine.

What might be worth it is getting some smaller boots (a compremise might be in order) so they're not TOO wide, and then stretch them out to fit the length of your foot. Granted if your foot is very long and very skinny then you might not be able to stretch them far enough.

Call and schedule an appointment with Larry at Larry's Bootfitting. There is noone better! He is an honest person, if he tells you that you need something, he means it. I know at least 10 people who use him religously.

Larry's Boot Fitting

2709 Spruce St

Boulder, CO 80302

(303) 402-6733

get some high density foam, and make a couple different thickness insoles and try them out.

have you tried shimming the sides?

www.tognar.com

has a bunch of bootfitting items. Heel lifts, sole shims in 1/8" and 3/16", 3types of heel cradles (self adhesive) slimming shims for the forefoot, tongue pads, and self adhesive foam like you used on your tongue mod. and much more.

J