Note to New Members ×

Atomic: Dreamraider vs Firestarter

Dave*

Has anybody ridden either or preferably both of these decks in the 165 firestarter and the 165/170 dreamraider. I can get a really sweet deal right now.

They both seem a little "turny" with around a 9m multi radius cut.

Not looking for a powder ride more of an all mtn hardboot deck for when its time to retire the pimped ATV. ( I have powder specific decks for the deep stuff, carve decks for the full on groomer days)

How are they for stiffness, ie agressive 210 pounder on plates and my "softer" flexing hardboots, will I be folding the noses on either, Which is stiffer? I had a 170 dreamraider in hand ( didnt ride)last year so really curious about the firestarters stiffness in comparison.

"Dampness" vs "Springiness" between the two.

Waist widths look like I would be running some underhang front and rear with my preferred angles for this type of deck, not a problem.

With the Firestarter how is it for durability with multilayer construction, is it a delammer?

Its kind of hard to tell between the two off internet pics but which has the squarer tail profile.

Any input appreciated.

Dave* ( I know like I need another board)

Personally I like the Dreamraider as it is available in the 170 for longer eff edge 135cm. It's a tad wider but has 4mm taper and more setback for a bit more all matn versatility. The Firestarter has built in 4mm risers and Titanium SPB's and is narrower also has slightly deeper sidecut than the Dreamraider.

You say not really looking for pow deck and with hardboots I'd say the Firestarter looks more like the winner. The Dreamraider is Atomic's boarderX board. Never had hands on either but I was looking at the Dreamraider before I picked up hardboots and bindings.

J

I put plates on everything.. well thats all I got... Put plates on the Rad Air Reto LAMM , Rome Metal 5.8, K2 zepplin, Its all fun..

and my favorite the 168 Madd BX with the carbon wing!! it rocks.. I take it on all trips as its awesome on ice and if we get pow..then Im covered.. I ride it mostly in tight steeper riding conditions as its a great carving board.. just have to get used to the 25cm width thats all..

Or just go out and have Coiler make one to your specs... thats what I would do if I could.. ;)

Right said Shred

Thanks for the feedback, I guess its like they say if you want the job done right dont go cheap.

That Madd 168 bx with the CF wings looks very tempting but would be plus plus expensive to get into Canada, less expensive to go full blown custom from Prior, he is almost in my backyard and has built me some boards before.

Project Atomic on hold ( it was a good idea at the time)

Dave*

The firestarter sort of fits that bill, almost.... I was thinking it might be a good deck for me and my riding style if it were stiff enough for the "Incredible Bulk".

Will probably spend the extra bucks and get another pimped ATV built up over the summer, I have a few new ideas to add on to my existing one.

BTW Boris i placed order for BTS kit the other day, I have sneaking suspicion that is what you need as well ( heavy springs for you of coarse)

Dave*

Ha, no BTS for me - sold my LeMans.

I found the answer to my prayers - a boot that can do ski/board function equally well: Dalbello Carvex. It is the shell of Head Stratos, with din blocks. Free-gliding tongue gives all the flex that one might want (really soft) in walk mode, carv mode locks backwards as far as the you diled them in and free flex forward. Ski mode is locked with controlable lean but still somewhat flexible (for a ski boot). Sweeet! Now, on down side, they are really small, I'll have to punch them a bit in toe area.

I found the Firestarter on the net - 25 waist. Not for me... I wanted something mid-wide and noodly to teach on it. Something 23ish would be perfect...

Boris