Note to New Members ×

Getting an EC board...

Guest aydx0001

****, no EC video, not even for Zinal participants (will there be an uneditet version at least?).;)

I think you should draw you own conclusions about which board to get, but if you had been at Zinal this year and seen that nearly everyone was able to lay down fully laid carves on the Swoard, well then this should mean something.

Well in my opinion the Swoard is the best board for extremecarving, well they've got the most experience for building EC board, so its no question that their board is the most advanced when it gets to ECing so that was the reason I bought one directly at Zinal. I've tried some other wide boards, but none could really convince me that much..

Lets hope that next years board assembles the good things of bost the first and second edition.

Felix, have you ridden a Coiler EX, G-Force or Donek Blade? What other wide boards did you compare the swoard to?

Nope I'm kinda stuck to European boards.

I tried a small Pen from Pokkis (172 Prior Custom with Titanal) very shortly, which I think is a great great board, but maybe not that well suited for EC - however better for racing and a Virus Boardercross with 22cm which I didn't really like at all. On top of that older snowboards, but well probabely they fall out of the game.

Hi everyone,

I have been a guest to this site for quite a while and I decided that today was the day to join.

I can't say anything about the blade, but this is what I can do with my Coiler EX. It's not EC but that was only my third day with the board.

Thanks to Steve Dold: Seing the picture of your EX made me want to get one and that board rocks.

post-4065-141842229683_thumb.jpg

Guest aydx0001

What do you guys think of using my Prior AWD for ECing? Can the long nose handle it and is the board stiff enough? It's the right width so at least it has that going for it.

Or you can go with de-luxe with Prior :biggthump ask them for Pen Blackjack 821, wich is basicly extra width (21cm) metal WCR. It is proven solution and readily available.

It is not according "official" EC specification but works like charm on any surface found under boards during this season, more pics and film available soon after returning back from Oppdal Carving camp :ices_ange

What do you guys think of using my Prior AWD for ECing? Can the long nose handle it and is the board stiff enough? It's the right width so at least it has that going for it.
I think the sidecuts on the AWD are a little short for EC (179 has a 10.5m, but you would want something in the 12M range) and also the boards are not torsionally stiff enough to be ideal of EC. I'm not saying you can't EC on it, just that if you wanted to pick a board just for EC, the AWD would not be it. The WCR-M are nice though if you could get a wider one.

Nice shot do have a picture of the coiler ex?

I wiil post a pic of my boards later

Here is my toy, the one on the left.

The one on the right is my wife's, a little less wide but she loves it too.

post-4065-141842229712_thumb.jpg

Guest Sammy
MAN those boards are fat

You should try one of these, they are fun. I ain't saying the skinny ones aren't, I have a silberfeild and it's fun too, just different. Less laying down but shorter curves. It depends on what you are looking for I guess.

Sammy: I noticed how far back on the board your bindings are biased rather than being centered...is this recommended for ECing? Other experts chime in, too, please!

I think the picture does that. It is not what it seems. Well, if you mean centered between the tip of the nose and the tail, no, my bindings aren't centered.

If you put your board on a flat surface, it should contact that surface in 2 points. I try to have my bindings centered between these 2 points. That's pretty much what Swoard recommends but the inserts on the EX seem to be set for that too.

Nice shot do you have a picture of the coiler ex?

I wiil post a pic of my boards later.

I showed you mines, show me yours....

Hey Kimo.

You never did say in this thread what you did think of the Blade. I know it wasn't in hard pack, but one of my queations about the board is its versatility. So I am curious how you kiked it in the conditions you rode it in.

I have been watching those videos of of EC till my eyes burn. Just so cool. I talked to Sean today and I think I will be ordering a 180 Blade very soon. Looking for a little more feed back on this board:rolleyes:

So I am curious how you kiked it in the conditions you rode it in.

Well, I definitely never kiked it. I'm not even Jewish and I don't use that kind of disgusting, derogatory language. :smashfrea

Seriously though, once I fixed a toe overang problem, the board seemed pretty stable cutting through the powdered crud and I seemed to be leaning it over pretty good. Tom has me riding it at Highlands in his raw footage somewhere, it didn't make it to the Day 5 reel. I took 3 passes before I put in a decent run in front of the lens.

It's hard to say what the main problem was carving thru moguls... i.e. was it lack of rider skill and tiredness or was it the big turning radius of the board. Neither would be fair to hold against the board because I would say it's definitely not intended for carving thru moguls and it's not the board's fault if I suck or was tired.

That's the best I can do for you. Like I said, I REALLY wish I could have ridden it where it was meant to be ridden. I feel like I still don't know the board.