Note to New Members ×

New to snowboarding, but interested in carving.

DiZy Kay

It's sort of ironic, but a lot of the European riders are railing the longboards with softies while those of us on this side of the pond are using hardboots. I don't think one is better than the other, just preference and conditions to be considered.

Speaking of....if you are sinking in the pow because of weight issues go wider as well as longer. Since you're a big guy the increase in float through the width will help as much as if not more than the length.

But to be sure Bmax Rog one can certainly rail a longboard on softies!

get on a tanker 187 wide

makes the doughboy look like a dated POS, it's lighter too

it's a little wider with some taper so it floats better than a doughboy as well

I have a rather nice Coiler here too, built for me weighing 250 lbs, so if you want a carver with next to no time on it let me know.

the undertaker is a pow only rig, don't worry about of those right now.

trust me you don't need a giant board to rip turns in softies, I used to on a 167, 173 and still do on a 177, I weigh about the same as you as well.

Guest Bmax Rog

Pow, thanks for the article link, that is EXACTLY what I was doing-not saying the toesides were bad, they just wern't as good as the heelside, and for precisely those reasons. Only edges I lost were on the toeside, and then I knew it was 'cos I was dropping the inside shoulder, but hey, old habits take a while to kill. Thinking back though, it never happened when I went for crossunder transitions, which figures..

Bobdea, I know the shorter boards will cope OK with my weight on the bashed pistes, it's just that even the shortest, (like 1 boardlength) trip into the powder shows up the problem in a kind of terminal way ("Flood all main ballast, down scope, silent routine"). I find this too limiting, especially on crowded Euro pistes. The Doughboy's fine at floating the weight, no problems, but I know that early boards I tried, including a Burton 173 were way too small. I've no complaints with the Libtech , mostly 'cause I got it at a steal of a price.

I've doubts about all the hardboots currently onthe market-trawling the forums seems to throw up the following;

Deluxe-overpriced, s--t buckles, all but indy too soft for big riders

Head-stiff, good buckles, zero after sales/spares availability.

Virus? -too stiff, expensive, hard to find.

I think I kind of lucked out with the current set up, as other threads suggest Flows are the best softie bindings to carve in, plus stiff soft boots, plus long board equals easier carves.....?

Bobdea, that coiler sounds well tasty-how much are you looking for?

regards

Rog.

The bomber store now carries deeluxe boots with the new and improved metal buckels... and next season's suzukas will probably be the best production boots on the market, however they'll still be expensive :(

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=15698&highlight=suzuka

^a previous thread about the upcoming boots, in case you missed it:biggthump

the only thing missing on that boot is a top strap, but that can easily be fixed with a booster.

and yes, i love me some flow binding:D