Note to New Members ×

Have you gone to steeper slopes too soon?

SWriverstone

PS- Are there slopes this wide and open in the U.S.? Any in Colorado?

I can think of 2 places...

1)Siberia Bowl - Squaw Valley - on the rare days when they groom the whole thing it's SICK

2) I haven't been there in winter since I was a kid, but I'm pretty sure you can find stuff like that at Breckenridge

some of the shots I've seen from Aspen could compare as well, but again I haven't been there in winter (outside of a race course) since I was a kid.

I've noticed something obvious in my carving over the last couple years: when I carve green slopes (and less-steep blue slopes) my technique is far better, because I'm able to relax and focus on my technique.

But when I get on steeper blues, my technique goes to hell because I'm too uptight about controlling my speed and doing a lot more skidding, scarved turns, etc.

So I'm curious to know: how many of you other carvers think you could stand to spend more time on the greens just focusing on technique?

I'm reminded of something Jon Lugbill (the greatest whitewater slalom racer in history) once said to me during a training session: "There are certain techniques for going slow, and other techniques for going fast—you need to learn the ones for going fast."

Scott

EDIT: An afterthought...I wonder why so many people are obsessed with the steeper slopes? Because I'll tell you right now, on a wide slope that's only moderately steep (like an easy blue) if you use good technique you can build up scorchin' speed—across the slope as well as downhill. I know

Been thinking about this for a couple of days now. I think for the most part that I like the same kind of turn as you describe. The thing with only having one kind of turn is that you have to have hero snow or green run to do it.

For different kinds of terrain, needing to do shorter turns due to environmental hazards ( other skiers), powder type conditions or other reasons to have different turns.

The other things is that one type of turn that works on green very well does not work on steeper because the turn on shallower terrain does not need to be finished as much to control speed. Then when you get on steeper, develop too much speed and don't have the skills to control it.

Also steeper runs require a more aggressive weighting and unweighting move initiate the turn. You can practice doing quick unweighting and edge change on lower angle slopes but it is not the same.

If you only want to ride on green, groomed runs go for it :biggthump have a good time.

For me the greater challenge and rewards of the steeper turn and all terrain capabilities are really worth the investment of time and technique.

Party on Garth.

Just jump in and do it, the only real difference is you have to stay low on the board on the steeps.

once the fear goes away, its easy and the greens will bore the hell out of you.

don't read to much and don't think about it,just do it

To a certain extent yes. But if you don't have the skills to initiate turns quickly and complete them, going to steep terrain too early can bring on the wretched counterrotation arm slinging and other general ugliness. As well as leading to back seating, tail tossing and backside laybacks - when flexion/estension moves don't match force generated.

These are all technical terms and I made them up myself. :eplus2: