Note to New Members ×

Hard boots for freeride and powder

Przemek/Brooklyn

[...]Currently I am using HB for carving and SB for backcountry, but to be honest i feel it is too commplicated and take too much time and effort change and it is pain in the ass to travel with extra boots.

Here is my question: can hardboots work ok in powder for freeride. If yes what kind of board do you use for this? Do you lower angles in HB setup for powder?

I ride only in hard boots, and these days just about only in non-lift-accessed powder. I do still carry a piste board around; I just don't get that much opportunity to use it as there's helis and cats to play in.

Can hardboots work?

They're my tool of choice. You will get people taking the piss/ trying to persuade you to change. I've never ever had anyone do that after the first run, even when I've waited for them to catch up and get their breath back ;-)

I use a powder board in powder: specifically a Fish or Malolo at the moment. Search here for arguments about that. You can ride those boards quite well on soft gear too, I believe. Angle-wise, I mellow down to about 50 degrees on the powder boards; I'm not sure why, just habit I suspect.

I run with my boots tight on piste or powder: I have boots which fit and I like the same control in both places.