Note to New Members ×

Quiet upper body

Gecko

OK I think I have found a good learning setup for the hill I regularly ride and I am starting to settle into regular carving. While trying to explain what not to do with his hands to Andew (xxguitarist) it dawned on me that I used to have unstylish hands when skating but through heckling that problem has diminished on concrete but not so much on snow (lack of abuse I'm sure adds into this). I remember all the footage of Jack that have seen shows that he has a very quiet upper body and in keeping with his statement that you should only work on one thing at a time last night I spent the whole time working on creating a quiet upper body in my riding. The thing I noticed it that I ended up being much smoother as the night progressed (excluding the end of the evening when my thighs gave up). I was also able to get on the downhill edge a lot more often though how these two things are related I'm not sure yet. Anyone else notice that maintaining a quiet upper body smoothes out ones over all technique?

That's my approach. If the stuff up top is swaying around then you're probably doing something wrong. It's also easier to carry a chest-mounted camera harness if you've a quiet upper body. I suppose it's just a way to get down the hill, but quiet is good, IMHO.