Note to New Members ×

Tried something new today - and it worked!

jnshapiro

While I'm sure I have bored you with previous posts related to my improvement as a carver, I made more progress today and intend to bore you again :eplus2:.

Today I thought I would see what happen if I applied the maxim "trust the edge" to the extreme. To initiate a turn, I "threw" myself down to the snow. Just sort of pushed my way down. WOW! The edge held! If it hadn't, I'd have been on my face.

I carved such a deep turn that my back knee actually hit the slope. My side slid just over the surface with my hand on the snow. And even managed to shed some speed at the same time (something else I'd been having trouble on). This happened more and more often as the day progressed.

I popped up after the turn, crossed the board under me, and "threw" myself down into a healside. This time, my hip dragged the snow.

Doing turns like this I was easily able to control my speed on a pitch that previously had me a bit spooked. Turns were tighter and better controlled too. When conditions get better and I get some more confidence, I'll take this over to some steeper runs and see how it goes.

Dang that was fun! I found that making turns like that all day is very wearing on the legs. I was done a bit earlier than normal.

So, if your having trouble getting low and shedding speed, maybe this will help some.

BOL has been a hugh help to me learning to carve this year. Thanks!

Oh, if anyone is interested, I was riding a Donek Axxess Olympic at 167cm in length.

just tried what you did over the weekend. we had finally gotten some softer snow which turned into slush which gave me a little more confidence to test my edges. everything worked great and i too got some nice Gs building up, but for some reason i kept going over the nose of my board, and landed on my head several times.

later in the afternoon when it got slushy i was laying some nice carves out, and booted out a couple of times, even though there isn't any overhang on my board, but i just kept ending up sliding down the hill on my chest or back with no other apparent cause.

that being said. it was my first day of real carving. i have never left the mountain so happy before.

Alex

Today I thought I would see what happen if I applied the maxim "trust the edge" to the extreme. To initiate a turn, I "threw" myself down to the snow. Just sort of pushed my way down. WOW! The edge held! If it hadn't, I'd have been on my face.

I carved such a deep turn that my back knee actually hit the slope. My side slid just over the surface with my hand on the snow. And even managed to shed some speed at the same time (something else I'd been having trouble on). This happened more and more often as the day progressed.

I popped up after the turn, crossed the board under me, and "threw" myself down into a healside. This time, my hip dragged the snow.

Since you're keeping yourself well-angulated, are you throwing yourself down with your knees, or what?

i think what i was doing was a combination of things. first, i am riding an f2 speedster rs, which has a softer than average flex in the nose, and second i am riding fairly weight forward in the beginning of the turn(a habit started in VT) so what i am looking to do is maybe see if i can lighten up in the beginning of a turn and weight the board a little slower, maybe start the turn without such an aggressive dive when the snow is soft.

we'll see this weekend. i'll be taking some lessons up at silver and riding with some other hardbooters for the first time in about a year, so we'll see where that leads me.

Alex

This is a great story...but doesn't work on solid ice! In fact, I'd say it only works when you've got real snow that will hold an edge. I'm not suggesting world-class carvers can't do it on ice...just saying that for us average folks it doesn't work well on ice!

It also doesn't work well when the surface is nothing but 6"-12" high washboard bumps—you need a pretty well-groomed surface.

Agree?

Scott