Note to New Members ×

DVD Ripping, archiving, playback from computer.... possible?

Jack M

I haven't tried Nero 7, but I know Nero 6 will not copy encrypted DVD. The reason is that the files on an encrypted DVD have to be decoded and the key is on a section of the DVD that cannot be copied, only read. So if you copy an encrypted DVD without decrypting it, you'll need to use brute force to read its content (if it's possible). So that's why you need specific software like the ones I mentionned previously.

As for playing an image on a computer, it is possible on Windows with Daemon Tools (free) and on linux with mount with the loopback option.

That is correct. You can make copy of useles bits if program allows for that. Nero will likely not allow for copy due to legal restrictions.

However DVD Shrink like someone suggested will make backup image on hard drive and it can even shrink size of files. Reauthoring with it loses all menus.

For playing backups and all weird files ripped or copied from DVD use VLC player on every platform I guess.

Yet the best idea is... Jack get that Mac! (Mini is enough) Then download Handbrake software. It does not care what DVD you use. It will make high quality MPEG-4 file from movie.

In fact, I have been planning on doing this on my Mac for all my DVD's just to get rid of plastic. But this will come when I get Apple TV, wireless "n" network and big plasma with HDMI. Then I will stream those movies from Mac to my TV using iTunes.

Hey Jack,

Have you considered Linux? Red Hat is free and there is ALOT of software available that is open source code.

Here is a good info site:

Linux HTPC

I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but there are a couple of Linux based programs that will alow you to rip DVD's to your harddrive and play them from there. There are also a couple of good "front end" programs that give you some cool options for linking it all together.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest stokeds

DVD Shrink (3.2 or whatever version is out there) is also what I would use if I ripped DVDs - a free software that stores a DVD in DVD format onto your harddrive

so it produces strange files that you can burn onto a DVD later on in case you want to have a backup DVD

anyway you can also watch the DVD backup straight from your harddrive and that is way cool it works just as if you had the DVD in your DVD drive

I guess you need a special player for that I have one called InterVideo WinDVD that was already preinstalled on my notebook so don't know where to get it or if it's free of charge

actually I didn't even know I had it installed on my computer I just tried out clicking on some files in the DVD backup folder to see if I could watch the movie straight from the harddrive and well that player opened and it works

you want to click a file called VIDEO_TS.ifo and given that you have a player installed that can handle it the 'DVD' starts

only downside of the whole idea is that you might end up wanting a very big harddrive very soon

I think it is kind of legal to rip dvd's to your computer, but only if you own them. I have handbrake, a very easy to use application that used to only be for mac, but is now for windows. Its free and good. You can get it here: http://handbrake.m0k.org/?page_id=8. As for getting on your tv, the best wireless option would be the Apple tv, here: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=A2515AD&node=home/ipod/apple_tv. I would suggest just hooking up a cord from your computer, but a benefit of the apple tv is that it has a nice interface and is wireless incase your computer is more than about 10 feet from your tv. The problem with it is that you have to have an HDTV, but I think there are work-arounds for that to make it work on a regular 4:3 tv. Another problem with it is that it doesn't come with any cables to go to your tv, so that would be like around $50 for cables. That's my 1.5% Euro (2 cents) :p

If you get the Mac Mini and rip all your DVDs to your Movies folder, then you use Front Row software to playback. It's so simple, even a 1.5 year old could use it. The only problem I can see is the size of the remote. It's pretty darned small and easily lost. You might want to glue a leash to it.

Front Row and the Apple Remote are clear winners when it comes to interface and ease of use when compared to the stuff that ships with Windows Media PCs.

• 2 months later...

Jack

did you ever get this figured out?

Im buying a BIG library of MMA dvds and am going to put them all on a 500GB hard drive. I'm thining I might just rip them all to XviD but I'm not positive

anyone have input on which file format is still good to good+ quality with lower file size than the standard approximate 4.5gb/movie?

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/x264.cfm

for free h.264 goodness or use divx if you like even though I prefer the

both work but h.264 is the way to go at higher bitrates IMHO

avoid WMV if you can, I have no idea why encoding to windows media is so touchy but it is AND it takes longer than divx

if you're a mac user h.264 is supported by quicktime so you should be able to watch the videos in front row

also if you have final cut and the packages that come with it the sorenson software compresses .mov files really well.

Hey there's the free version. Im not worried about copy protection on most of these, but:

Im looking at a LOT of fights, so I need to reduce size a little, but don't want to lose quality, so Id need the full version of Fab I think?

also...Id really, really really like to be able to search for specific fighters in my library. Does anyone know if you can tag video like music, say with ID3 type tags?

I was thinking I'd rip to (?) then put chapter markers where they need to be if not there already, and then tag...

hmmmm...very daunting task, this!

• 1 month later...

Hopefully this isn't duplicate information, as I did not read this whole thread. But I am a recent Mac convert (just purchased a 2x2.66Ghz DCXeon, 5Gb RAM, 1.25Tb DASD Mac Pro) and have been doing some research on the very same topic. Here is a pretty good thread for Mac based solutions to the task at hand:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=897236

My biggest problem now is trying to get front row enabled on the Intel Mac Pro for simplicity of playing all digital media. I've got a remote for it, but can't get it enabled and working. I found plenty of "tips" to get it working on the powerPC Macs though, but none for Intel based.

Oh well, Leopard is supposed to have it for all Macs, guess I will have to load that come October...

My biggest problem now is trying to get front row enabled on the Intel Mac Pro for simplicity of playing all digital media. I've got a remote for it, but can't get it enabled and working. I found plenty of "tips" to get it working on the powerPC Macs though, but none for Intel based.

Oh well, Leopard is supposed to have it for all Macs, guess I will have to load that come October...

Ben:

Didn't your Mac come with Front Row pre-loaded? It's supposed to work out of the box. Here's a great reference to help: http://macminicenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=Front_Row_121:How-To

Didn't your Mac come with Front Row pre-loaded? It's supposed to work out of the box.

Mac Pros are the only (new) macs that don't come with Front Row. I got front row running on my G4 Mac Mini, but your situation might be different becuase you are running on an intel procesor. I'll try to find the link.