Note to New Members ×

Bindings Suck

wavechaser

Hey, we biult Saturn V rockets in the sixties with 7.5 million pounds of thrust and the equivalent of 160million horsepower - and went to the moon. Can we come up with a solution to binding suck???? I hate looking at my otherwise perfect race bases and seeing the four or three little dimples.

the solution would probably frig up the flex pattern of your board. But then again, so does putting bindings on your board. Hmm.

Again...we built the Saturn V...we should be able to figure this out. :D

Are there dimples when you attach Hangl-Spirig plates and the like??

Guest Tim Tuthill

Ok! This has been around many times!! So, you look at your base and there they are, those dents, minor, but they are there! So what! Now I'm not the best for sure and not the worst? How can you tell they slow you down or cause any other problem while you are going down hill. A thought? If your on edge, they do not make contact with the snow! LOL

Ok! This has been around many times!! So, you look at your base and there they are, those dents, minor, but they are there! So what! Now I'm not the best for sure and not the worst? How can you tell they slow you down or cause any other problem while you are going down hill. A thought? If your on edge, they do not make contact with the snow! LOL

I'm not saying they slow me down - I just don't like 'em...pain in the ass when waxing too. Just sems like it can be easily engineered away - skis don't have 'em.

Since you bring up the slow subject - now if I'm racing and 1/100th of second can make or break win, and I'm riding my board flat the last few gates or between the last gate and the finish, or in a SG race, can you be SURE I wouldn't be hundredths of asecond faster without them??

I'm not saying they slow me down - I just don't like 'em...pain in the ass when waxing too. Just sems like it can be easily engineered away - skis don't have 'em.

Since you bring up the slow subject - now if I'm racing and 1/100th of second can make or break win, and I'm riding my board flat the last few gates or between the last gate and the finish, or in a SG race, can you be SURE I wouldn't be hundredths of asecond faster without them??

Rick, look at it this way, these dimples actually decrease the contact surface thus reducing friction and actually increasing your speed!!! :biggthump So more dimples = faster!!!! :D

Practically speaking, yes it is possible to make a board which won't have that problem.. But, practically speaking, there is no real need...

Pogo boasts that their patented twin insert system eliminates binding suck along with making it nearly impossible to yank the inserts out of the board. so far so good, but ive only been riding pogo snowboards for 2 seasons so i can't confirm it just yet. :biggthump

Line had inserts up till this year - they abandoned them because the bindings they designed for them apparently were rather sucky...

I don't remember having binding suck back when we had to drill the boards...but I do remember ripping out a lot of bindings. I think it was a good trade.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Dimples??? We tried them in surfboards! Used different sizes?? Did not seem to make much of a diff!! That said, we are looking at liqued as opposed to a solid, sometimes!?? Now, this should start something?? Any hydro mechs out there???

Well, the reason golf balls work with dimples is because they create air pockets in each one and air against air is alot slicker than golf ball against air. It's hard to get an air pocket under your snowboard. And besides, more dimples means less surface area of course, and less surface area means more pressure, blah blah blah.

High performance extruded polyethylene (PE) base material with Struc Turn. Low maintenance and easy to repair. Most of the time an un-waxed extruded base is faster than an un-waxed sintered base.

"Struc Turn" is gaining popularity. Recently sold some Forum boards with it.

Many have added it to their boards/ skis.

Small dimples, similar to the golf ball.

I would guess it is valid. However probably not huge difference.

Love to give this structure a go in the summer or late spring when it can make a huge difference with the "High Water" conditions at Timberline.

I know that "Structuring" my boards in the past with a rill made a huge difference, certainly allot more than wax did.

"Wet Jet" was fun though!!