Note to New Members ×

identity crisis solved

Dr D

The Identity 168 FC is a blast and even better I got to ride a "black project" Garage 195 alpine. I think I am in love:1luvu: Nice damp smooth screamer. not quite the oh my god fast ride that the identity 185 is but much more forgiving and enjoyable. Bryan I know you are reading this!:biggthump ppppppbbbbbbbbbb!!!!!:ices_ange come out to big mtn for a week and I will let you take a run on it!!

No production plans currently and probably not this year. But it does exist. pics when I get a chance.

wow, John built a 195? Did you commission that, or someone else?

I'll be in your area this spring/summer. Doin a road trip to find a place to settle. Bozeman might be a bit more likely due to another endeavoer I'd like to pursue, but I still want to look at Kalispell.

McGinnis is sorta the sleeper...he really should start building alpine again!

I would be interested to chat. Looks like I do need to buy that heater for my garage to get my first board pressed. Sub 60F not good on the epoxy I am using. I dig the graphics, lime green or not, it's got a good look.

I will be my own test pilot.

Nice work though. INteresting he would go with a 195 for his first board.

Greg

yes the lime green is the base graphic. the topsheet is wood veneer it has a nice arbor look to it. I will resize I just ahve to get to my other computer to do it. this one doesn't support the powertoy thing. It is also not his first board. He is the mad genius behind identity boards the two on either side are, in the purple a 185 race carbon identity and in the blue a 168 freecarve carbon identity. I also own and ride a garage 173 carbon all mountain twintip.

I would be interested to chat. Looks like I do need to buy that heater for my garage to get my first board pressed. Sub 60F not good on the epoxy I am using. I dig the graphics, lime green or not, it's got a good look.

Greg

John mcginnis formerly of identity snowboards. now of garage snowboards is the owner builder. the base graphics are bright for sure. my other garage base is day glo orange with the same graphic. the topsheet is wood.nice diecut work across the nose the rest of the base is one piece.

The Identity 168 FC is a blast and even better I got to ride a "black project" Garage 195 alpine. I think I am in love:1luvu: Nice damp smooth screamer. not quite the oh my god fast ride that the identity 185 is but much more forgiving and enjoyable. Bryan I know you are reading this!:biggthump ppppppbbbbbbbbbb!!!!!:ices_ange come out to big mtn for a week and I will let you take a run on it!!

No production plans currently and probably not this year. But it does exist. pics when I get a chance.

Just picked up on this.

I had lost interest in the thread when the 185 went too high.

I believe that is the board John produced for me a year or two ago. One of four I asked him to build. It had an issue with the topsheet and he did not want to ship it. I was trying to get done in time to bring to SES. That must have been two years ago? Last year I brought the Tinkler 203cm. I was really hot on his work , it just didn't get done. On to other pursuits. Fortunately Mike stepped in and started to produce the "System" boards. The rest, well is history.

Thanks for the photos. We had some pretty cool ideas for the top sheet. They didn't happen.

Greg

His first board was not a 195cm , not even. Interestingly he used to build a fascinating little board. John is not held by convention. He is quite the thinker. I really love his work. So much that I did try to get things going with the alpine boards a couple years ago.

Greg, you will really enjoy talking with John, he is a wealth of information. Just remain open minded, some of his concepts are pretty contra. What I do know is I like the results of his genius. Perhaps you can put some of his ideas to work. Why would he want to give away his secrets? That would be beyond me. But you never know. I often "Fall Into" better things than I could plan. Some of the best things I have were simply given to me!!

Good luck in the future.

Bryan

The more people that bug him the better. :biggthump We don't want the love of alpine to die out at Garage snowboards:lol: He has a plan it just isn't fast enough to suit the demand at the moment. I would be interested in finding out how many preorders we could come up with for a run of garage 185's call it a tribute board to the identity 185. rumor has it that there are enough pieces left over from the fall of identity to redo the tooling it just costs money.

The more people that bug him the better. :biggthump We don't want the love of alpine to die out at Garage snowboards :lol: He has a plan it just isn't fast enough to suit the demand at the moment. I would be interested in finding out how many preorders we could come up with for a run of garage 185's call it a tribute board to the identity 185. rumor has it that there are enough pieces left over from the fall of identity to redo the tooling it just costs money.

Identity snowboards of Montana back in action? :AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin I used to own a blue thumb pictured, 168cm? 185cm with wood topsheet sounds cool :eplus2:

Just announce a new (old) alpine board maker wants to go into production and then redirect us to another site. Email me direct or post a topic on www.tahoecarvers.com

--Hugh

But not having known who built the gagrage board I wouldnt know any different whether it was his first board or his billionth. I was under the impression from the first post that there was another budding builder out there, so that's why I inquired the way I did.

Only having been in alpine 3 years, I do not know the in's in out's of the boards and their makers. Learning? yes ! knowing everything? No!

I wouldnt expect a long term builder to cough up any secrets, but I was under the impression he was new to building, thus the inquiry. If he does, good for me, even though that isnt what I am after. I was more interested in speaking to another new builder, just to hear his experience.

I will go back to my VP of manufacturing and let him know I wont be getting any trade secrets that will change our production line for the day. :p

I do however dig that he is "contra", I havent had the chance to ride a garage or Identity, but look for to it someday.

L8R

Greg