Note to New Members ×

No wonder Ford is in trouble

C5 Golfer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

short windows, big front end, four doors, looks like Ford is going after some of the Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300C market. Watch to see if Ford stuffs its big V8 under the hood along with a couple superchargers to boost the output above that of the R/T. Oh, another thing, this car better be rear wheel drive!!!

short windows, big front end, four doors, looks like Ford is going after some of the Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300C market. Watch to see if Ford stuffs its big V8 under the hood along with a couple superchargers to boost the output above that of the R/T. Oh, another thing, this car better be rear wheel drive!!!

400 HP and rear wheel drive. Another negative I think is when the windows are down for a sunny drive, your elbow is above your ear if you like the elbow rested on the window sill. Ouch!

In the automotive design circles, I heard this referred to as "Fist in the Wind" styling. Too bad it's so derivative of what Chrysler has been doing for 5 years.

When I took a marketing/sales class years ago it seems there was a day we talked about there are only so many buyers for a certain type of product and the buy cycle sometimes is like a bell curve. Seems Chrysler entered on the left side ( climbing) and Ford and Chevy ( read Camaro) entered on the right side (declining ). :smashfrea:smashfrea

I think it's a lot simpler than that. Ford and GM have been putting out crappy product (Exploder, Focus, Mustang, and so on) for so long that the North American public has finally wised up. The last real innovative product that Ford produced was the Taurus/Sable. GM, meanwhile, sticks shiny plasti-chrome on a Tahoe, calls it a Hummer and tries to evoke toughness and durability when in reality any H2 taken off-road ends up broken.

Not that Chrysler's stuff is much better but at least their stuff is visually interesting. And let's face it, most people buy cars for the visual appeal.

I'm a bad mood today. First the airlines, now the NA auto makers.

I think it's a lot simpler than that. Ford and GM have been putting out crappy product (Exploder, Focus, Mustang, and so on) for so long that the North American public has finally wised up. The last real innovative product that Ford produced was the Taurus/Sable. GM, meanwhile, sticks shiny plasti-chrome on a Tahoe, calls it a Hummer and tries to evoke toughness and durability when in reality any H2 taken off-road ends up broken.

Not that Chrysler's stuff is much better but at least their stuff is visually interesting. And let's face it, most people buy cars for the visual appeal.

I'm a bad mood today. First the airlines, now the NA auto makers.

Don't know about the other cars that pissed you off, but I have to say that my 93 Explorer is one of the best cars ever. With a simple hub modification (for manual hubs ) and I did have to replace the transfer case ( $125 used 100K ago) and no other problems. A couple of batteries, a couple brake jobs, starter etc that would happen on any car. 309K and still going strong. Doesn't burn oil, starts good in winter and I can sleep three in the back with the seats laid flat. How do I know? We had to do it once. Tight but possible.

19mpg regularly ( more on freeway ), I have pulled over 4,000 lbs with it. (That is over the limit BTW so don't try at home) and thousands of miles of rough dirt road, pulling a trailer going to river trips.

So have you had an Explorer explode? Or are just spew? Sorry I am in a bad mood, somebody has been knocking my favorite car ever. :eplus2:

Guys, you should take a look at Ford's European lineup... Imho they'd be prospering if they were to bring at least half of all models sold in Europe to replace NA's pile of horse sh%t... Instead they have a different Focus for each continent, none of the Euro-bestsellers sold in NA, huge investments in pickup-craps and quality which doesn't stand a chance against Koreans... Not that GM and Chrysler are any better, but at least both competitors sell the same sh%t all around the world and Chryslers do look better...

Chrysler was smart enough to bring Sprinter in NA, while Ford still sells 25-years-old Econoline... :biggthump Sure enough European Transit isn't a beauty queen, but it's still 1000 time better than Econoline and for the right price it would be very competitive against Sprinter which is currently (maybe not the cheapest) THE best commercial van on NA market... Having worked in custom commercial trucks industry for a while i've seen them all from all the angles...

2772.jpg

3761.jpg

485.jpg

113.jpg

453.jpg

2273.jpg

Don't know about the other cars that pissed you off, but I have to say that my 93 Explorer is one of the best cars ever. With a simple hub modification (for manual hubs ) and I did have to replace the transfer case ( $125 used 100K ago) and no other problems. A couple of batteries, a couple brake jobs, starter etc that would happen on any car. 309K and still going strong. Doesn't burn oil, starts good in winter and I can sleep three in the back with the seats laid flat. How do I know? We had to do it once. Tight but possible.

19mpg regularly ( more on freeway ), I have pulled over 4,000 lbs with it. (That is over the limit BTW so don't try at home) and thousands of miles of rough dirt road, pulling a trailer going to river trips.

So have you had an Explorer explode? Or are just spew? Sorry I am in a bad mood, somebody has been knocking my favorite car ever. :eplus2:

Even my mechanic calls them Exploders. It's part of the vernacular now. I realize it refers to tire blowouts and ensuing roll-overs but the name is tainted, that's for sure.

I guess you did pretty good with your '93 but, would you buy a new one?

Even my mechanic calls them Exploders. It's part of the vernacular now. I realize it refers to tire blowouts and ensuing roll-overs but the name is tainted, that's for sure.

I guess you did pretty good with your '93 but, would you buy a new one?

Not sure about that. I have been looking for another low mileage 93 though. :biggthump

I know the 97-98's had some timing chain issues that Ford was very slow to resolve. The wiring on my sisters Expedition was so bad that she traded it in 'cause the dealer couldn't find the short that would intermittently stop the fan from blowing in summer and winter. Neither was good.

So yes I do know that some Fords had issues. How about the three of four years of Gm stuff that had the auto peel paint?

My ultimate river shuttle rig is still going to be the diesel 4wd quad cab pickup that Ford makes. Or a 4wd version of one of there vans on the same chassis.

Or something like this and then I could just drive ten of my buddies up the hill to go snowboard instead of three or four snowmobiles for back country. :eplus2:

post-805-141842228241_thumb.jpg

post-805-141842228243_thumb.jpg

post-805-141842228245_thumb.jpg

I get annoyed at the Ford commercials using rally footage to sell Focuses that don't exist here.

If I could get an AWD Focus, I would. The little ZX5 hatch I leased for my wife is a nice car. She loves it, anyway.

The euro-spec Mondeo and Focus S wagons are beautiful.

GM has the same problem with the Holden line in Australia. It still crushes the Pontiac, even though it's from the same manufacturer.

To get what I want in a vehicle, I'm having to buy a right-drive Japanese import!

What we all need is a 1979 International Scout.

Read this:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Mechanics_Tale/Mechanics_Tale_What_Real_Men_Drive.S281.A9647.html

I'm of the firm belief that cars today are way too complex for their own good.

I'd buy one hands down.. As much as I love new cars I hate them for the same reasons... they are made to be sold, not last... :mad:

I'd buy one hands down.. As much as I love new cars I hate them for the same reasons... they are made to be sold, not last... :mad:

For real men that is true. I had a 61 Scout. Roll up windows my a$$. This one just had slider windows. And I did get the top on by myself ( the metal one) and my back has never been the same since.

But for my wife and kids I want ABS, air bags and one of those gps type, tracker, onstar, looking things.

I do admit to liking the looks of the new Mustang. Also the Charger, Magnum thing from which this Ford that started this thread is derived style wise. I don't think I could ever bring myself to driving a Chrysler. No flame here, just for me it is not the right thing.

One of my river buddies showed up last year in a new, and pretty good looking Durango. I asked him about it and he said it was the biggest POS that he ever bought and couldn't wait to get rid of it, except that he would feel bad about whoever he sold it to. ??

For real men that is true. I had a 61 Scout. Roll up windows my a$$. This one just had slider windows. And I did get the top on by myself ( the metal one) and my back has never been the same since.

But for my wife and kids I want ABS, air bags and one of those gps type, tracker, onstar, looking things.

I do admit to liking the looks of the new Mustang. Also the Charger, Magnum thing from which this Ford that started this thread is derived style wise. I don't think I could ever bring myself to driving a Chrysler. No flame here, just for me it is not the right thing.

One of my river buddies showed up last year in a new, and pretty good looking Durango. I asked him about it and he said it was the biggest POS that he ever bought and couldn't wait to get rid of it, except that he would feel bad about whoever he sold it to. ??

Tell your buddy to trade it in. Then he won't feel bad.

The worst car I ever owned was a 1999 Audi Avant (station wagon). After the warranty expired, every week, something would fail. One day, I was on my way to work and ran out of gas (because the low fuel warning LED did not work). As fortune would have it, I was on top of a hill. At the bottom of the hill was a Toyota dealership. I coasted into a Toyota dealer and traded it in for a Toyota 4Runner.

When I walked away from the Audi for the last time, I looked back and thought there was a leaf stuck to the door. I went back to brush it off and discovered it was not a leaf but a leaf-shaped spot of rusted bare metal where the paint had fallen off.

If I could get an AWD Focus, I would. The little ZX5 hatch I leased for my wife is a nice car. She loves it, anyway.

The euro-spec Mondeo and Focus S wagons are beautiful.

I love my Focus wagon to bits and would buy another one in a heartbeat. Although if it keeps running for another three years I should be able to score a 2007 Edge for next to nothing.

We had Mondeo wagons in the company fleet in NZ and I loved them. Strong, solid cars, the only thing I didn't like was the fuel saver that would shut down half the cylinders when you were coasting, and then take a second to kick back in when you pressed the gas. But apart from that they took all the abuse our reps could dish, and came back for more.

Cars are always a lottery. The Euros build lemons too, but I'd guess their customer service might be a bit better...

I love my 99 Expedition.....138K and still going strong....

motored up Loveland and Monarch passes last summer towing a 5000 lb trailer with nary a change in the thermostat...

If I hadn't gotten rear-ended trying to save a Toyota that ran the light from the Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton that was trying to kill it or hit the cow that one night towing the trailer to Buescher SP, it would have never seen the inside of the shop save regular maintenance...

Well, it was made in America. I love my Toyota Tacoma pickup. I wish I'd bought one with a bigger engine though. It's a dog on the hills. But it's got 130,000 miles and still runs great. Gets about 22mpg on the highway. Same as when new.

When my wife's car was in the shop last, we ended up with a Dodge Magnum for a rental. The visibility SUCKED. I'll never buy one of those.

Well, it was made in America. I love my Toyota Tacoma pickup. I wish I'd bought one with a bigger engine though. It's a dog on the hills. But it's got 130,000 miles and still runs great. Gets about 22mpg on the highway. Same as when new.

When my wife's car was in the shop last, we ended up with a Dodge Magnum for a rental. The visibility SUCKED. I'll never buy one of those.

My 4Runner has the iForce V8. I bought it for the engine. I really didn't care about much else. On the highway, when I want to pass, I floor it and it feels like a muscle car.

The Magnum has no cargo space either. Even worse is the Pacifica. What a terrible layout. The rear seats are made for 10 year old legless children.

I don't trust American car lines much any more. My gf's family is of Indonesian descent and because of Japan's treatment of them in WW2 I believe they refuse to buy imports. THey have Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, and something is always breaking or not working right. Granted many were made in 89-96 not one of their cars can hold a candle to my Tacoma. '96 2wd with 186k and still gets 25mpg going up to carve. It went 174k on the origional clutch, 1set of brake pads, 1cat, 60kmile maintenance. The rest just oil changes and tuneups provided by your's truly. Best vehicle I've had, or have ridden in...except for maybe my buddy's 4x4 01 Tacoma:biggthump .

J