Note to New Members ×

ATV/4WD quiver fill

johnstewart

I don't need it much around here in the midwest, but for my occasional trips out west, I'd like to find a board which will handle any powder/bumps/tree skiiing, yet still be able to carve better than my floppy old freestyle board.

I'm headed to Big Sky, and currently my quiver will be the aforementioned freestyle board (Sims Quest 167, I believe), and my Axis 177. I love the Axis in the groomers and in the choppy stuff.

However, it sucked when I tried to ride it on a power day last year at Snowbird. I probably should have moved my bindings back, but I just couldn't keep that thing planing above the snow like my freestyle board does.

So I'd like to find something that is much stiffer and a better carver than my freestyle board, yet can handle the powder well.

I think the board I want is the Prior ATV.

I'm 220lbs or so... would an ATV in the 167 length be adequate for the powder... or should I go 171? I think probably the 171...

I think I've decided against the 4WD because it's much closer to the Axis, so it wouldn't complement my quiver too well...

thanks for any advice!

I mentioned in a post yesterday my comments on the ATV vs 4x4,

You are very similar in weight to myself so 1) go for the 171 2) Get Chris to stiffen a stock shape ATV other wise you will be folding the board in half ,(I demoed stocker 3 times last year just to be sure) I believe Chris said he designed the stock ATV for a 165-170 lb beginning carver.

I love my stiffened up ATV, it does everything well, I also got Chris to put the ski material top sheet on as well, much more damage resistance- just not very shiny which I like.

Dave*

I'm about the same size as you, and I wouldn't go shorter than 170 for a pow board...

Axis 177 is great in powder. I think the softer nose helps it get up on top of powder better than a stiffer board would.

Well, I didn't feel like the Axis 177 did well at all in pow the one time I had it there. I think it's a great carver and love it on the groom to day-old pow with piles of soft stuff (it easy blows through crap my other boards would buck me on).

However, I felt like I was always struggling to keep it planing above the powder. Do you set back your bindings significantly for such times?

Well, I didn't feel like the Axis 177 did well at all in pow the one time I had it there. I think it's a great carver and love it on the groom to day-old pow with piles of soft stuff (it easy blows through crap my other boards would buck me on).

However, I felt like I was always struggling to keep it planing above the powder. Do you set back your bindings significantly for such times?

yes - back set of inserts. (I didn't take it in anything too deep - just 8 inches or so) - I don't think any skinny board works well in the really deep stuff. but I haven't tried an ATV or 4wd in those conditions.

Tanker, sure. My new 192 does it all. Carves just like 4wd, floats like pow board, smooth in bumps and chop, stable at speed... However, I didn't like it on a very short venture into steep trees.

Dave's stiffened ATV worked great as carver for me at 174 lb. I didn't try it in pow, but Dave doesn't have any problems to stay afloat on it.

I loved it so much that I think I could have it as one-board-quiver.

Boris