Note to New Members ×

Who likes nice watches?

kipstar

I cannot get time off to ride this year, following the bomb outside my work fiasco (and the event with 100,000 people that I had to cancel at 9pm to celebrate new year) so instead I am spending my money on a nice watch.

So far I have a baume and mercier and now a Glycine lumintor limited edition (the one with the big face, divers watch).

Anyone else into nice watches/

Depends on your definition of nice.

I like a watch that looks good and is tough enough to wear on a daily basis and keep working.

For my needs, the nicest watches that I've come across yet are Omega and Luminox. I prefer the Luminox because of the continuous illumination in them. I wear a Luminox model 922 F-117 Nighthawk Ti (a grey version of the one issued to US F-117 pilots). Really nice watch...carbon fiber face, titanium construction, sapphire crystal, tritium capsule hands and numerals. I'll put a picture up later.

Breitling makes some sweet ones. How about the Emergency one that transmits a distress signal on the emergency aircraft frequency if you get lost. Could be useful??

I too love Breitling watches...:1luvu:

But my absolute favourite are Tag Heuer... they are stunning ... Not quite as expensive as the other marques...:biggthump

My Dad once said to me - "Don't wear a watch that's more valuable than your hand." This after his Rolex was literally ripped off his arm while sitting in his car, stuck in traffic in Seoul. That being said, I do love watches and covet the Panerai Marina.

For those of us who wear "value watches" - there's the Poor Man's Watch Forum. Great reviews, feedback and discussion on sub-$1000 watches. Brutal interface and design though.

http://www.pmwf.com/cgi-bin/Forum/webbbs_config.cgi

Check out the Top 20 list:

http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/T20PMW%20List%20Table.htm

Tissot is well regarded here.

Like most mid-tier watch companies, Tag Heuer outsources most of their manufacturing. They basically throw a case around a stock movement. There is nothing inherently wrong with this. TH makes great looking cases. But with TH, you are not paying for quality of internals. You are paying for mostly marketing and nice cosmetics.

this is a great site Skategoat!

Yeah, Tissot does well.

I tend to only be interested in the watches who don't do a lot of advertising, as each manufacturer has the choice to invest in marketing or in lowering prices. Sinn is a brand i like for instance.

there is some good info on those websites...

Like most mid-tier watch companies, Tag Heuer outsources most of their manufacturing. They basically throw a case around a stock movement. There is nothing inherently wrong with this. TH makes great looking cases. But with TH, you are not paying for quality of internals. You are paying for mostly marketing and nice cosmetics.

I didn't know that... well you learn something every day! :o

Blackbird, there is nothing wrong with the Tag Heuer watches. The company that makes the movements, ETA, is Swiss and they are renowned for making quality movements. Breitling, Omega, Oris, Panerai, they all use ETA movements. But so does Swatch (Swatch owns ETA) and some of the higher quality replicas.

All I am saying is you can get a nice ETA movement in a nice case without having to pay for Tiger Woods's endorsement deal.

Note, I'm no expert. This was all explained to me by a watch crazy friend of mine who owns about 30 watches. The guy is nuts. He even has these battery powered automatic watch winders. You open his drawer and you see all these watches on wooden wrists, rocking away. Eerie.

kip: How can you resist the nice fakes in your part of the world? I was blown away by the quality. I bought a fake Rolex for a friend for $60 and you could not tell it apart from the real thing other than the fact that it was a tiny bit thicker.

My uncle is a big watch guy - but most of the watches he buys are replicas. replicas are no longer the crappy kind you can buy on the street of NY, but they are actually really well made.

a lot of them now come with the perpetual (self-winding) movement, made with either Swiss or Chinese ETA movements - the chinese used to be a little bit worse, but they are getting better

a good replica can go anywhere from 60 bucks to 300/400.

if anyone is interested, replicacollector.com is a great place - a lot like BOL. just join and then you can buy replicas - much better deal than buying a real omega/rolex...

Rather than wear fake i prefer to admit having blown all my money on sporting equipment and wear cheap Seiko... However, as much as I like good watches, for some reason I got tired wearing them... hell knows why, just realized that mine was laying without being winded for a while now... Gives me a reason to chase down cute chicks on slopes, just to ask them for the time... :biggthump:eplus2:

Given that some of my clients include (indirectly) Panarai, Omega, Rolex, etc; I cannot really be seen with a replica.

I am also of the opinion that buying the right watch is not a good investment, but it is an investment of sorts, where you can hope to get your money back in future. A replica looks great, and for $60 is ok, but any more than that and it is money down the drain when it eventually stops working.

There are some great quality replicas around here though; the cheap ones start at $10 and the really nice ones are around $200; I know of one person who had a replica rolex; it broke the strap, he took it to be serviced, and they actually didn't pick up on it and changed the strap without checking the inards, so he now has a fake rolex with a real strap>!

Some very nice suggestions there. Love nice watches, love my hand more! People are known to have their hands chopped off for their watches! I still have one of my dad's Omega gravity assist self winding watch, but can't seem to find anyone locally to maintain/restore it.

Anyway, I'm a practical one board, one watch that does it all kind of guy. So I like my Citizen Eco-drive titanium perpetual movement dive watch. It's also light and relatively thin.The movement seems accurate enough with the occasional atomic watch sync. Never have to touch anything or worry about it dying out. Just need some rays on the slope to keep it going! If only it has a Palm OS installed on it too....

I have to admit, my favorite watch still is the Rolex Daytona Stainless Steel. Even more like the vintage ones…, but much more expensive as well.

Breitling in my opinion makes fantastic watches as well. I think personal taste and budget plays a major role here.

I would not buy a replica, ever. I’d rather admit to myself that I can’t afford it at this time… but that’s also just a personal thing.