Note to New Members ×

Given the choice...

Jrobb

for a freeride board for soft boots that can and will be used for riding it all (carving, steep, speed, deep dumps, and the occasional forray amongst the trees) which of these three would you recommend? I'm 6'3 200 with size 12.5 and ride soft boots at 18/15. I've been intrigued by the lore of the Tanker clan but have heard good things about the other two as well. This will be a replacement for my A-Frame 170.

Tanker 177 oversize

(4mm pintail)

F2 Respect 176

(3mm pintail)

Atomic Dreamraider 170

(6mm pintail)

p.s. Both the Atomic and the Tanker are roughly the same price but the F2 is close to half the price of the other two.:cool:

J

if it's not about the money, Tanker.

Well, it's not really about the money as I can dig for the three I listed...just if I can get the right goods for less, then they'll be that much more fulfilling. THis board will be used 80% of the time for tree runs in 2ft of fresh to carving on Chair 2 and 4 at Kirkwood. I have a 4807 for the really deep days and it carves nice on hardpack too but it's fragile. Last weekend out, I bonked the nose in a rut and delamed the tip bout inch back, and the tail slipt 2" towards the rear binding after another wipeout at mach 3.

J

Donek Wide or Sasquatch. Support those who support alpine (and who make world class boards).

I hear ya. I like to support the small shops too but not at the expense of not getting what I really want. The Sasquatch seems excessively wide I only need 26-27...and it only comes up to 170(135eff edge) my A-Frame had 132 eff edge so not much change there...I'd like more grip. The wide is good width, but I don't want a 169...170+ is my target sizes and I'd like to keep the SCR's dowm below 10m so I can handle the trees I love so much.

J

Donek Wide or Sasquatch. Support those who support alpine (and who make world class boards).

So you are saying that F2 boards are not world class and not worth supporting?

If so, I disagree.

Don't get me wrong, if I could afford it, I would have a donek for every day of the week. But I have a so so job, single income household, mortgage, 2 kids, home improvement projects... yada yada. So sports equipment purchases are scrutinized. Pathetic mountain conditions as of late don't help the cause either.

F2 ( I assume) is the biggest company still supporting alpine and the sole manufacturer of the in-tec step in system that so many here swear by.

I've also never heard anything negative about their boards.

I think F2 is more than worthy of my support. Albeit with "loser" clearance items I still get the brand out there.