Note to New Members ×

Rode the Prior Metal WCR today

jnshapiro

Prior was at Kirkwood today with demo's. I couldn't resist, I demo'd the Metal WCR. 183cm was the length of the one I rode.

The board is fast. Turns easy, fast edge to edge as you'd expect with a narrower board (19cm waist I think). Carves well. It didn't chatter at all for me. I weigh in at 180lbs now. I didn't have any trouble flexing the board, and I don't ride particularly aggressively. So it's gotta be soft.

Not only didn't it chatter, but I had very little slope feel at all. Kinda like driving a car and not having any road feel. Not much input came back from the board. I can see where this would be really good for a racer, but it's just not for me. I like to get feedback from the board (and from a car).

I think for some, this thing is going to be exactly the ride. But it doesn't suit me.

On the up side, I didn't have any trouble managing the length. So when I go shopping for a board next season, I'm going to look at something around 180cm. I'm seriously considering a Donek FC2 Olympic.

I also took it back after 5 or 6 runs. I wanted my Donek Axxess back!

You get out of a good board what you put into it. You said you weren't agressive when riding it, but complain about the board not giving you input back.

The lack of snow feel you described is dampness. You need to go faster on a damper board to get the same snow feel. I think this is good, but speed isn't for everyone.

Well no, I don't like hair-raising speed. I like to get moving, but not scare myself silly. I'm getting more comfortable with speed, but I'm not racing and I don't like to bomb down the mountain. I just enjoy making carves and big turns.

I don't think the Prior is suited to me. I don't think I'll ride fast enough or aggressive enough to push it.

I'm really glad I got a chance to try it out and I appreciate the effort that Prior made this season to get some boards out for folks to demo.

I rode one at A-Basin demos a few weeks back and loved it -- so much, in fact, that I ordered one the next day. The board felt poppy, comfortable, and light. I'm not an aggressive rider, but had a great time on it.

Here's a video "review" of sorts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwT4pp0osjU

tom.

SAweeeet video, Tom. Love the hands behind your back and still smooooth at speed.That board looks sick !

As soon as the music started I KNEW it was Tribalistas, I guess I know a little about Brasilian tunes

As soon as the music started I KNEW it was Tribalistas...

Ha ha, great! When I made the movie I was going to add a subtitle that said "Willy you better guess the artist!" -- glad you picked up on it so quick :)

Commenting on the original post about not going too fast, I don't like high speeds either -- this board was definitely faster than what I am used to riding, but it was so much fun getting airborne between edge transitions and it carves so well that I'm able to slow it down to what I like -- and it rips great deep ruts in the meantime.

tom.

The other thing to consider: The metal layered boards ride so differently than all composite construction boards, just spending a few runs on one won't do it justice. You may have to spend several days on one to really find out how the board rides and reacts to different conditions, and whether you like or don't like what you are feeling.

I agree with this completely. I have ridden many, many boards and can figure out a composite board in a run or two (generaly speaking). I aquired a Virus Vampire earlier this year and it has taken weeks to dial in. It might be partly due to the progressive sidecut, but that board feels different than anything I have ever strapped to my feet. I could write a page on the differences, but the point is... rides nothing like a composite rides. I think I have it pretty well dialed now... but it continues to suprise me.

Well no, I don't like hair-raising speed. I like to get moving, but not scare myself silly. I'm getting more comfortable with speed, but I'm not racing and I don't like to bomb down the mountain. I just enjoy making carves and big turns.

I don't think the Prior is suited to me. I don't think I'll ride fast enough or aggressive enough to push it.

I'm really glad I got a chance to try it out and I appreciate the effort that Prior made this season to get some boards out for folks to demo.

That's cool you got to try one though. It sounds like the type of riding you do is not suited toward a race board at all. Remember what WCR stands for in the boards name.

That's cool you got to try one though. It sounds like the type of riding you do is not suited toward a race board at all. Remember what WCR stands for in the boards name.

Phil, that's about it. Any suggestions on what might be a good board for me? Next season I plan to plunk down some money and get a dedicated carving board.

Well you already have an axiss you seem to enjoy. I'd suggest working with Sean and tweaking what you already have to custom it to the type of riding you like. This will give you a board which you are already confortable with, but even more suited to you.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, kind of thinking.

I agree that these metal boards are quite damp and easy to ride and "comfy". As Phil says, it becomes more "alive" the faster you go, however on the 177 (11.9m sidecut), The speed limit is lower than it would be on the longer models. I think the 187 is the sweetheart of the line. Wish there was a 15 or 16m offering.

jn, if you want lively, look to Donek and Madd. On the Madd 158 and 170 you have to try to keep them on the ground between carves. Definitely more energetic and playful at sub-race speeds on non-rutted surfaces.

Cool, which slopes did you ride it down? Upper Zachary (off of Cornice Express - Chair 6) or down the Wall?

Hey Arvin,

Why are you being an a$$??? jnshapiro is a new Tahoecarver that is putting a lot into learning to carve. 183cm is a long board for a first year carver, but no new carver is dumb enough to launch off The Wall or ride Upper Zachary. Please refrain from a$$ comments and keep it real :AR15firin

Hugh

p.s. You know where I ride, but you never showed up at my repeated attempts to carve with you, weak...

I rode the metal WCR 187 Tuesday and I loved it, even though I'm not a racer, I'm not real aggressive, and didn't ride it particularly fast. What Joel described as lack of feedback, I call a cushy ride.

In fact, Prior's catalog says it's for "advanced alpine riders," which I most certainly am not, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

Hey Arvin,

Why are you being an a$$??? jnshapiro is a new Tahoecarver that is putting a lot into learning to carve.

My apologies to Joel. I was rushed writing the post and it didn't quite come out the way I wanted. I meant to say that the WCR Metal is great for steep slopes if you got a chance to ride them. Hugh knows that I'm not really into speed myself and I'm pretty afraid when going down steep slopes like the Wall and Cornice (Hugh and I actually did ride together once... out of the two or three attempted meet ups) he was charging down while I was cutting way across the fall line. However, with the Metal WCR is opened up a whole range of slopes I was too afraid to charge down.