Note to New Members ×

Park City Scribing

gibbons

Scribing is scratching metal to act as a guide for machining. You put on metal marking blue stain, and then scratch it with a sharp tool. That reminds me of Park City this year. I won't call it carving.

The snow is the worst I can remember. Any time you have to make snow at a Utah resort in January, and nobody has more than 58", that's bad. My rule of thumb years ago was don't even go until they have over 80", and then take your rock skis until it's 120.

I've skied for 32 years, I am an expert Nastar skier, blah blah blah. I have been watching my sons ride alpine boards for years, so I started last year. I was having a blast last year, when the snow was actually soft enough to trench. I mean those 6" deep trenches. This year, all you do is scratch the groomed up ice crystals, and then hit the hard as a rock layer underneath. I hate always balancing on an edge. I haven't crashed in a month or so, maybe that's because I am being tentative remembering the bruises. The snow hasn't changed since the first of December. I may get the stix out until it snows. If it ever does again.

I can't imagine living where there was no hope of decent "normal" snow ever. On the other hand, my youngest thinks the harder snow is fun on his 173 F2 RS. He scribes away on it and does great.

Go ahead and flame me for being a sissy, but unless you skied Utah in the 70's and 80's, you just won't understand.

I was just there on Jan 10-14. What crossed my mind right away was - "Hey, this is just like Eastern snow". I thought I was in Vermont. We got 9 inches on the night of the 11th and riding was even more difficult. It was fun until 10am, then it got tracked out and piled up and with my Volkl RT, I felt like I was running the Baja 1000 in a Ferrari.

I guess I'll have to come back to get some of that legendary Utah powder.

Hey Skategoat, I remember the "storm" you are talking about. The official report from Park City was 8" on Jupiter Peak, decreasing to 2" at the base, with 4" inches or so in the prime "carving" area. 4" is gone with the first park-rat side sliding down the run. That's the problem, they got to their whopping 51" inches a few at at a time, and it isn't substantial enough to stick or pack.

My oldest was going to come home from college for the weekend, and bagged it when he saw the report and watched the resort on-line cams. My youngest and I went, and came home at about noon after he hit 2 rocks on his brand new RS.

I am not even hoping for some deep Utah powder. I would just like some real, soft, packed Utah snow that I can fall on and make a dent instead of getting massive hematomas. And I would like to ride without spending half of my mental processing power scanning for rocks and stumps and watching out for ice patches. I thought I was getting pretty good on the board, but this is killing my progress. How do you easterners do it???? Starting at 47 doesn't help, I guess.

I got my first snowboard when I was 40. The first time I rode, it was after a good old-fashioned Quebec icestorm at a resort called Bromont. I'm talking about skating rink conditions. You want to talk about snowboarder ass, mine was black the next day.

Next two times I went to a little hill in my neighbourhood called Centennial Hill. 90 foot vertical. I wore hockey pants and still I was sore all over.

My ah-hah moment on a snowboard took place a few weeks later when we finally got a good dump of snow and I could actually go down without fear of breaking something.

You should see the half-pipes around here in February. They are like concrete. I don't know how the kids do it. I see some of them land hard on their sides right across the lip of the pipe. Ouch, my liver aches just watching it.

I have to agree with Phifell. Most of the runs off King Con have been perfect. To Gibbons point however, many of the runs down Silverlode or the signature runs off Bananza and the Ski Team lift are rocky and twiggy.

A new storm pattern would be nice.

These shots we taken on Shamus 2 weeks ago. It sure was cold, but the slopes were empty.... except for the on slope photographer;)

I remember those storms in the 80's. I learned to snowboard off my roof in '82.

post-3169-141842227112_thumb.jpg

post-3169-141842227114_thumb.jpg

post-3169-141842227116_thumb.jpg

Like I said, my son, who is way better than me, likes the snow. However, not being as good as him to handle the speed, and knowing what real snow feels like, it's not as much fun for me. Maybe we will try King Con tomorrow. Last time we tried it a few weeks ago, it was corduroy at mid day. That's because it was corduroy ice, and edges weren't cutting it down. In any case, I am taking my Atomic slalom skis tomorrow.

Guest rowanpg

Parc régional de Val d'Irène

(Last updated : 19 janvier 2007 à 5:59:21 PM)

Opening

Day : Open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays

Precipitations

Last 24 hours Last 48 jours Last 7 days This season

40 cm / 15.7 po 70 cm / 27.6 po 70 cm / 27.6 po 310 cm / 122 po

Day

Open trails Open lifts Type of snow

26/26 4/4 Base : Soft base

Surface : Deep Powder

Cover : Complete

small hill but epic snow.. going up tomorrow

Funny thing was I was supposed to be in park city utah this week with family.. they are there now.. I'm sure glad I stayed home this time :)

http://rideguide.jot.com/WikiHome/AmquiPowder

http://www.val-direne.com/Nouveau%20Site/index_en.htm