Note to New Members ×

Help old guy carve again

Guest Aviatorbdm

Guest Aviatorbdm

Found this web site thanks to riding the chair at Mt. Hood Meadows with a carver. I am hoping to get advice on restarting my passion for alpine boarding. I started carving in the early 90's then exploded my lower leg in 1997 when I lost an encounter with a snow covered log. One titanium rod in the leg and a divorce later I started boarding again in 2002 using soft boots and a freestyle board that was as close to a carving board as I could find. I do not enjoy the freestyle as much.

Hopefully I can get some advice on boards, bindings, and boots to get started with again. I was fairly good back in the day and really enjoyed the all mountain stuff. Don't really care about speed, just love all mountain capability and carving really good turns.

Found this web site thanks to riding the chair at Mt. Hood Meadows with a carver. I am hoping to get advice on restarting my passion for alpine boarding. I started carving in the early 90's then exploded my lower leg in 1997 when I lost an encounter with a snow covered log. One titanium rod in the leg and a divorce later I started boarding again in 2002 using soft boots and a freestyle board that was as close to a carving board as I could find. I do not enjoy the freestyle as much.

Hopefully I can get some advice on boards, bindings, and boots to get started with again. I was fairly good back in the day and really enjoyed the all mountain stuff. Don't really care about speed, just love all mountain capability and carving really good turns.

What was your "Carver" riding? Tinkler by chance?

Email me directly to help you get going. Along with the great guys here at BOL.

Guest Aviatorbdm

Thanks for the info... I am 6'1" and 240 lbs, 41 years old and decent shape. I was looking at the Deeluxe Track 325T or the Head Stratos Pro boots, Prior 4WD, and TD2 standard bindings. All would somewhat come close to what I once rode and worked well. I looked at these on the bomberonline store. I'm not even sure where else to look.

179 is what they recommended for me at 190 lbs. You might find it a little on the soft side. If you want to spend a little extra, you can have them stiffen it up a little for you. I'd suggest you write Prior and ask them about it. Their website is here. Check out their used/demo page - they've got a stock 179 at a good price, plus I note a custom 184 with quad glass that might be overkill for you or maybe a good fit, I don't know. Again, check with them.

Brad, looks like you are on the right track. Good folks here at BOL. If I can help send your phone number via email. Get you back carving in no time. I like the bigger boards and typically have a few boards laying around. :eplus2:

You have some Journeymen Carvers offering you tips on this thread. Good deal !

I can introduce you to some of the alpine riders in the area.

It can make a huge difference. Glad you followed up. Keep going now!!

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aviatorbdm

Hey thanks for the info all! I'll check out the Doneks as well. Bryan I'll touch base with you via email here soon. Would like to find a slightly used board and bindings, the boots will buy new.

i got the track 325 this year and i love it. for me it was the perfect shell for all my applications. i ride and f2 speedster and coiler pure race as well as a rad-air reto and tanker. varying angles from 30ish to upwards of 65 and they have worked wonders for me. also look at the catek binding for adjustablility.

i have ridden and enjoyed the donek axis, but not recently enough to comment on the current model.

Alex