Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Carve-Fest in May?

Mike T

Guest Randy S.

Mike,

I can't make it for this trip. Sorry. Maybe I'll see some of you in Chile in August? That's where my summer snow $ are going.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by Mike T

Please drop me a note if you're planning to come! I'm mostly looking for a head count... or at least an expected value for a head count.

I wonder how many of us we'll need to convince TLine to do some extra grooming!

1.Count me in for Fri thru at least Sat, and probably Sunday if conditions are decent.

2. Yes for the BBQ

3. Just me

4. 253-906-6823 (cell)

I will have a tidy quiver of Doneks for demo use from the Freecarve and Axis lines. As far as the video/riding clinic goes, I was thinking about Sat afternoon unless a bunch of folks want to do something on Fri as well.

See you next week,

Sean Cassidy

www.snowperformance.com

zach: Hood river is just to the NE of Mt Hood, and timberline is on the south slope. It's probibly a 45 minute drive or so, fairly reasonable. Hood river is a pretty swell town to hang out in. MikeT's place is around 45 minutes from Timberline to the East, so at worst you might have an hour and a half drive back to your hotel if you go to his BBQ.

This photo is a month old now, but it shows the silcox hut was burried... they got some good snow this year. Still 140+ inches claimed at the lodge.

post-7-141842197642_thumb.jpg

Firm groomed and bright clear skies in the am, occasional clouds rolling through. Several inches of fresh off-piste on a surface mother nature made smoother than the groomed. It was quite good!

The new snow should be groomed out well by the week-end , should be "Most Excellent" . TIME FOR A "MT HOOD CARVE FEST".

Thanks for all the work you have done Mike. I almost called from the chair-lift, wasn't sure that would be kind. Hoped you or some other "carvers" would show up. "Slope Tool" showed up and handled ever condition with grace as usual. It was a VERY good day!. 23k by 1PM

Originally posted by Mike T

STOP THE PRESSES! Cascade and Heather open while it's snowing! You're BS ing me. Why do these things only happen when I can't ride?

No kidding...I was down there in April and it snowed the whole time. I got hurt late Saturday and couldn't ride with the rest of my group on Sunday and now I'm out until at least July because of shoulder surgery.:( Maybe we could have another carve fest in August. :)

________

What is love

How wicked are the available runs? I've been softboot boarding a while, but usually keep to gentle blue groomers on Snoqualmie. My friend just started this season, and I suspect he'll be grumpy if all the runs are slick & steep race courses.

-jon-

Guest AlpentalRider

I've been sick since last tuesday (temp of 103 on wednesday) and have been fuming at the fact that I cound't go. I had been looking forward to it for weeks, and then this flu :(

Originally posted by D-Sub

update and pics please. bummed I didnt make this but the person I was supposed to drive with flaked, and 1000 miles is a lot to do on your own...

goin to mammoth this week tho maybe, if the stars align correctly

New threads containing pix and video:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2392

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2388

You'll just have to show up next year then!

Here is an off site link to a gallery that will give you at least a taste of the conditions at the Friday MHCF hosted by Mike Tovino.

Please forgive the size of the actual photos. I will work it over when I have time . For those with dial up be for warned you may want to look at the thumbnails prior to selecting the photos to save download time. It was a very good day to be on an alpine snowboard. Enjoy. Bryan

PS. My only regret is we didn't get allot of carving photos , only because of Jim's willingness to stop long enough to get a few do we have these. I was too anxious to ride that day to stop. The group photo was taken at 10:30am , top of "The Mile" chairlift on the west side. We were unable to contact Ken and Tim so they could be included.

Mt Hood Carve Fest Gallery

yup found the new thread. didnt realize that was what it was

looking at the pics makes me very bummed I wasnt there.

next year indeed. if things go right it will only be what...200 miles or so instead of 1000

altho...oldvolvos went...but yall flew, huh?

Yes Sir! Not that we want you to be "Bummed" , just hopefully JAZZED enought to make the trip. Hopefully by this time next year we will make it even easier to make it happen. I am guessing before too long, Mike or I will have built a small site with all the info and updates to make it handy for those traveling in.

I am sure there are a number of the Mt Hood Locals that can help facilitate our "Bros" that travel in from out of state , making it easy and hassle free.

Like:

Travel info

Hotel bargains.

Geographical layout

Ticket bargains

Etc.

A week of carving on uncrowded groomed slopes in May would be a great complement to the larger orgainized carve sessions now in place. This a good thing!! Lets keep the momentum going!

Originally posted by www.oldsnowboards.com

A week of carving on uncrowded groomed slopes in May would be a great complement to the larger orgainized carve sessions now in place. This a good thing!! Lets keep the momentum going!

No worries about momentum! I had in mind an annual event back when I put up the original post on this thread, but didn't want to jinx it by saying so :D

A number of people seem to be saying "NWES" already, so might as well go with it for a name.

Seems like the long-weekend format worked well. How about adding a day at Mt Bachelor?

Jim's spriong Bachelor pix here

Bachelor offers some steeper terrain on the summit - which can be a blast in corn snow on any type of board - and season pass holders from other mountains generally get a deal on a spring ticket for showing their pass, this year it was $20.00.

If you've got ideas on how to make it even better, keep 'em coming!