Mt Hood Carve-Fest in May?

Mike T

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The discounted ticket price would be $24 a day, if we can get 10 or more riders for each of 3 or more days.

It looks like we'll have no problem getting 10 riders for Saturday and Sunday but Friday could be questionable. Don't forget, spouses, friends, kids, etc can get in on the deal even if they're not carving.

Originally posted by Mike T

The discounted ticket price would be $24 a day, if we can get 10 or more riders for each of 3 or more days.

It looks like we'll have no problem getting 10 riders for Saturday and Sunday but Friday could be questionable. Don't forget, spouses, friends, kids, etc can get in on the deal even if they're not carving.

My girlfriend - a skier - will most likely come with me. She has a snowboard and we might get her to ride it depending on weather.

How many others will be bringing a female that rides or skis?

Guest Randy S.

Will we have enough people to rent out the Silcox hut? That looks like it would be fun. Silcox Hut

We'd need 16 people to book it. There won't be enough moon that weekend for full moon riding, but I'm sure we'll find ways to entertain ourselves. Otherwise I'll probably stay down in Guvvy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Randy S.

If I come up, does someone want to share a room for Thurs, Fri, Sat nights at Mt. Hood Inn, or another local place? I'd also be up for sharing a rental car with someone from PDX. I'd fly up Thursday afternoon from SFO/SJC/OAK (Bay area airports) and leave on Sunday evening from PDX back to the bay area.

Mike, My new Coiler arrived yesterday (not bad, I ordered it in October - 6 months ago). It looks very cool with the blue flames. I get to test it out this weekend.

Guest Randy S.

Speaking of Mammoth, Bob Dea was looking for Silicone. That's the place to go if you like silicone. Oh, and probably lots of waxed bodies too. I raced there two years ago. It was a pretty fun hill. It would be fun to go in the winter rather than spring, but its too darned far.

you know whats weird about mammoth tho? the grooming kinda sucks IMO. pretty big bumps between cat paths...

that and it gets horribly crowded. place is HUGE tho so you can usually hide from crowds

Ive been going there 2-3 times a year since 1990 and Im done with it tell the truth

spring ridiing is fun there though...but in all honesty the terrain is kinda boring except for certain spots

Originally posted by Eric

I was up there, too.

Snowing, blowing, and almost no grooming. Yet they were

wise enough to fire up Cascade, and open heather canyon.

Meadows must be under new management.

STOP THE PRESSES! Cascade and Heather open while it's snowing! You're BS ing me. Why do these things only happen when I can't ride?

(Actually, the ankle is rehabbing well, should be back on the snow next week)

I spent a couple of hours doing "rehab runs" this morning at Mt Hood Meadows, coverage is excellent. On the way home I saw a couple of cats buffing out Palmer, it's looking awesome up there. There was snow in the trees below Magic Mile when I was driving up in the AM, so Mile should be well coevered for those who are new or first-time carvers. (Depending on how my ankle is doing, I might be riding with the newbs!)

I'd like to compile a list of everyone who's coming or might be coming.

Please send the following info to mt@tovino.com

-Who you are

-whether you're definitely in, or just maybe

-which days (Thursday May 13 - Sun May 16)

-if you're bringing family etc along, how many, ages, etc

-if you're planning to come to BBQ @ my place on Saturday (I'll supply food, BYOB or maybe pitch in for a keg)

-call phone # if you want to give it out

(I'll provide mine in an email to those coming)

Those who were thinking of bringing family - if anyone thinks they want ski or snowboard lessons for the family, mention it, it's a good idea to plan ahead that time of year. I know several of the instructors at Timberline (my wife used to be one) so I could probably arrange for something with one of the better ones.

Hopefully we get some new snow at the beginning of the carve fest week and then have some nice cool temps and sunny days for optimal carving!

I regret to announce that we're not going to be able to start Carve Fest on Thursday the 13th... since the lifts won't be running. It'll now be Friday the 14th - Sunday the 16th.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions/conditions.asp

I've only got 4 people signed up for Thursday including myself, so I'm not even going to bother to call them. This is the first time in 4 years that I've lived here where Timberline has not been open during the week in May. Bummer. Just yesterday their website said they'd be open today.

Actually, if anyone wants to ride on Monday the 17th...