Note to New Members ×

World Championships this week

Art

http://www.ussnowboarding.com/public/news.php?aId=2575&sN=&&dId=7

Go team Go! Good luck to all and congrats to those selected!

CBC television is covering it for those in the north. It will be on 0800 tomorrow in the PNW, probably heavy on the Canadian athletes (fine with me) but competing with the football playoffs (Go Hawks). Damn, where is the DVR when you need it?

CBC coverage was shown yesterday. I'm in northern VT - sooo happy to be able to get that channel here. The alpine event coverage was still pretty short and really just Jasey's runs and then semis and big/small finals, but it was still WAY more coverage than the Olympics got from NBC last year (5 minutes?). The slalom was ridiclously short - 18 seconds or so...why do they do that?? I realize it is not a two runs and done deal for the better riders, but come on...18 seconds?? I often wonder if there might be more interest if it was more like the challenge of ski racing - single set, two-run, 50 second plus courses...probably not, but I still wonder.

Every time I watch these guys I think I am getting too fine with technique - trying not to touch my hands to the ground, running a perfect high and round line off the rise line, no skidding ever. That's all good, and these guys obviously have boatloads of "technique" or they wouldn't be there...but there is something to be said for just plain balls to the wall (no offense to the women) go for it speed and aggressiveness. The recoveries from potential disaster are numerous and amazing (that's where technique comes in) so I think I need to feel more on the edge of disaster in my races. I do well, but about 50% of the time I am way too comfortable. Yesterday was a perfect example - first run in slalom I was on the edge of blowing out several times and throwing the board acrooss the hill to make gates, then second run was smooth and rhythmic with a nice high line all the way through...and was also .85 seconds SLOWER! I still want a nice line - but need to lay it all on that line more often. :eplus2:

I had great fun and it was very informative to watch all the runs frame by frame slow video and really see what was happening...great for catching those momentary shots of rider's setups too!

If SL feels smooth you are going far too slow.

Yup - almost a whole second slower!! :freak3:

Bummer that they only focused on Jasey. Morrisen, Lambert, and Farrell are the true future on the CSF alpine team.

They actually did interview Morrisen and show a quick clip of him riding. At 18 seconds a run for PSL and 30 seconds for PGS you'd think they'd have time to show more runs...but I guess alpine still doesn't (maybe never will) have the viewer interest the FS events do.

If the Canadians are oing well, the coverage will reflect that. They would show every run JJ did if he did well. Two years ago they spent over an hour on the PGS alone. Not a slam, Its their network. Im just glad to be able to watch it

Morrisen qualified 8th in the PSL and ended up 10th (Jasey 16th by the way)

In the PGS he finished 12th (Jasey didn't qualify for the finals).

That's something to get excited about if you are Canadian....Oh I beleive he is still elgible for Junior Worlds (where he won the qualifier and finished 2nd last year.)

Phil, I thought the American results were pretty impresive. Lots of BDX coverage. I didnt mean they did not do well, but they focus on the Canadian athletes for good reason, Its a Canadian network. I like their coverage better any way (especially Olympics) because they tend to be less biased. Like I said, Im just glad to watch it, get it taped and have a little snow fix through the summer I can bore my kids with.

That's something to get excited about if you are Canadian...

Agreed! Matt Morison (just thought I'd correct everyone's spelling) is likely to be a household name in Canadian snowboarding. His riding has developed nearly as fast as his professionalism and ambassadorship skills.

For those that saw his interview on CBC, I think you'll agree that he came across as a seasoned veteran on television. He was humble yet confident, well spoken, and gave credit to his team, not just himself.

Two seasons ago we committed to assist him on his quest to represent Canada in 2010 at the Olympics and thus far haven't been disappointed at how he represents not only YYZCANUCK.com, but Canada as well.

At least with the CBC snowboard coverage we don't have to listen to Kerrin Lee-Gartner like we do with skiing coverage. Personal preference here but her voice just drives me insane - it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me...just want to stuff my ears with cotton! :barf:

Watched this off the PVR last night. I thought the coverage was quite balanced. All the final runs were shown. Interviews with both Canadian and non-Canadian riders.

They had a nice, lingering closeup shot of J.J.'s feet in the starting hut. I noticed he has totally changed his equipment. Of course, there is he Kessler and the Hangl plates but he has also gone from the step-in Cateks to standard bail F2 titanium.

It's amazing what a small group of 25 or so enthusiastic racers at a small public Ontario hill can achieve, with limited resources. Congrats to Mat and Dad (Pony). And look out, big mountain boys! There are afew younger Oshawa LowRiders coming up the line.

Cheers

Julian

Parent

Oshawa LowRiders